GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear suspension too stiff!!!

Old 04-19-10, 10:12 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Rear suspension too stiff!!!

Hi all,

Anyone have any issue with the rear suspension growing stiffer over time. I recall my GX used to be buttery smooth and setting the ride control to the softest gave me a very wavy ride. Nowadays, it seems the car is hitting bumps pretty hard and the softest ride control setting makes the ride more compliant, but definitely not wavy like it used to be. Since most everything on these cars are computer controlled, does anyone know if there's a way to reset or retrain the ride?

Thanks,
Old 04-20-10, 07:31 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Join my club. Search "any lexus techs". There are a couple of us here with this problem. I have a feeling that this group will get larger over time. Do you have a warranty? If so, have the dealer check it out. My local dealer never finds anything wrong after numerous visits.
Old 04-20-10, 07:58 PM
rj4510
Instructor

No. My cars well out of warranty, but she's been problem free to this point. I hope this isn't a big deal, because the ride is pretty annoying at this point and I can't help but to think it'll eventually develop a bunch of rattles and squeaks from bouncing around as it is. I just hope it's not going to cost a fortune to fix.
Old 04-21-10, 07:30 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Get a quote for the stabilizer control bracket assembly from the dealer. Mann777 advised us that this is the root of the problem. Let us know.
Old 04-23-10, 05:52 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Hey, by the way, have you had your driveshaft replaced? I think that this started when I had my driveshaft replaced. Whenever I troubleshoot I always try to find out where someones hands were last.
Originally Posted by rj4510
Hi all,

Anyone have any issue with the rear suspension growing stiffer over time. I recall my GX used to be buttery smooth and setting the ride control to the softest gave me a very wavy ride. Nowadays, it seems the car is hitting bumps pretty hard and the softest ride control setting makes the ride more compliant, but definitely not wavy like it used to be. Since most everything on these cars are computer controlled, does anyone know if there's a way to reset or retrain the ride?

Thanks,
Old 04-25-10, 11:09 AM
rj4510
Instructor

I had the rear "thump" fixed a couple of years ago, but not sure how that would tie in. I have an appointment with the dealer for a quote this week, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm putting a link to another post where this topic has been discussed for anyone else searching on the subject.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...xus-techs.html
Old 04-26-10, 05:51 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Let us know what they say at the dealer. On a side note, have them check the low pressure reservoir. I have been told that could also be the problem.
Originally Posted by rj4510
I had the rear "thump" fixed a couple of years ago, but not sure how that would tie in. I have an appointment with the dealer for a quote this week, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm putting a link to another post where this topic has been discussed for anyone else searching on the subject.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...xus-techs.html
Old 04-26-10, 10:43 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Hey, by the way, have you had your driveshaft replaced? I think that this started when I had my driveshaft replaced. Whenever I troubleshoot I always try to find out where someones hands were last.
Yes that happened to me. After several dealer visits, including a test ride with the tech, they couldn't find anything. Sorry to say I have pretty much given up on it.
Old 04-26-10, 10:50 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I might just trade it in and take a hit. Sad. Not even a year of ownership.
Old 04-26-10, 07:53 PM
rj4510
Instructor

I took mine in today and sure enough, the diagnosis was that all systems were operating perfectly. For now, I'll just keep my tank full and a bag of sand in the trunk. That seems to make it ride pretty decent and will hold me over until someone figures this problem out. Not sure why the technicians can't put down the silly computers and just figure out the problem, but I guess real troubleshooting is a thing of the past.

One of us CL members will eventually figure it out, as with some of the other things that have been long solved.
Old 04-26-10, 10:14 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My rear suspension got stiff after the driveshaft R&R for the clunk. I've been living with it, but it's kind of annoying.

I'm going to try figuring out how to adjust the height of the rear suspension. My gut says it's topped-out at the top end of the travel. The rear of the truck has been higher ever since the clunk job.
Old 04-27-10, 03:41 AM
hammer0008
Rookie

Originally Posted by stiles_s
My rear suspension got stiff after the driveshaft R&R for the clunk. I've been living with it, but it's kind of annoying.

I'm going to try figuring out how to adjust the height of the rear suspension. My gut says it's topped-out at the top end of the travel. The rear of the truck has been higher ever since the clunk job.
Just had the drive shaft replaced and the comfort ride is the same with smoother braking. You should take it back.

The height can be adjusted by moving/adjusting the sensor arm up for up and down for down.
Old 04-27-10, 05:41 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I thought the same thing about the height and had the sensors adjusted accordingly when they went out. Still the same crappy ride.
Old 04-27-10, 06:12 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by hammer0008
Just had the drive shaft replaced and the comfort ride is the same with smoother braking. You should take it back.

The height can be adjusted by moving/adjusting the sensor arm up for up and down for down.
Where's the sensor arm? Mine has been riding too low, which I think is part of the problem I've been having...
Old 04-27-10, 06:19 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

There was a post on here not to long ago by a forum member who complained of a VERY stiff ride after the drive shaft/control arm replacement and after going back to the dealer several times they finally realized that they failed to recalibrate the leveling suspension after the drive shaft/control arms were replaced. Apparently after doing so that solved the problem for him.

I had my drive shaft and control arms replaced and I have not noticed a difference. My GX was always a little stiff going over "sharp" bumps like speed bumps etc, but I chaulked it up to the leveling suspension reacting to the compression. Otherwise, it's as smooth as can be on the highway esp set on "comfort."

Last edited by cssnms; 04-27-10 at 08:26 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear suspension too stiff!!!