GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacing Leaking Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 01:26 PM
mr2fast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Leaking Radiator

When I was installing my HID's last week I noticed quite a bit of pink goo build up around the drivers side radiator end tank, which as I understand is a fairly common problem. I hadn't noticed a leak around the car but I did grab some toyota red coolant to top the coolant reservoir off. Today I noticed a decent sized puddle, and it now seems to be leaking quite steadily which means I have to replace the radiator asap.

I found this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...or-change.html which has a nice little write up on the replacement procedure (thanks man777) and several radiator options. What I'd like to find out is if this leaky end-tank issue was fixed in later model GX's (I have a 2005) or if there's a radiator that doesn't use the stupid crimped on plastic end-tank design (ie welded aluminum end-tanks)?
Old 04-21-10, 08:42 AM
mr2fast
Driver

Default bumpity bump bump

ok since no one has replied I'm guessing no one knows. From what I've been able to find, the part number remains unchanged across all years( p/n 2690) of the first gen. This leads me to believe that the problem hasn't been resolved and the only reason it hasn't occurred in later models is they don't have enough miles/wear to have developed the issue.
Anyway since I need to take care of this immediately I'm going to grab the KOYO radiator (p/n A2690) and send my busted one off to be copied and made w/ aluminum welded endtanks. I'll post pics when I do the swap.
Old 04-21-10, 08:58 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

B4 you replace the Radiator, Do some troubleshooting to know the exact nature of leak. And go for the replacement. And always check the condensor which is right in front of the radiator, It is ideal ( not neccessary) to have them changed in tandem. And Koyo are 2 types one is Copper / Brass and the other all alumunium. The options are based on the what you would like suiting to your budget. The best performance are the alumunium based ones.
Old 04-22-10, 06:35 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the OEM tank were defective. I would just get a KOYORAD and should last you the life of the rig.

My story is below.

I thought I would add to this tread since I just also replaced my radiator. I have read that there is a higher number than normal radiators that are prone to leaking from 2003-2006 in V8 Lexus/Toyota platforms.

I got my 2005 GX 3 weeks ago and have been busy base lining all the fluids and filters when I came across a small leak around the lower driver side. This was missed by the Lexus inspector! Small drops of antifreeze were on the sway bars and it was crusted on the lower part of the radiator. Apparently this is a common area of failure.

Replacement radiator from Lexus $800, parts alone. The first after market one I got was from AutoZone, made in India for $269. It was a POS! Fins were not evenly places and the core was ¼ inch thinner than OEM (that’s a lot of surface area lost).

I got a tip from my Toyota parts guys who called
https://www.1800radiator.com/
They got me a Koyorad radiator. Made by Koyo in Japan. I know Koyo products mainly from replacing the bearing on my Landcruiser. Toyota uses Koyo bearing for there OEM parts. Paid $294 and it was absolutely flawless. An exact match to the OEM in every way. What a difference and only $25 more with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.koyorad.com/

The only thing I can add to Mann’s excellent write up is that I bought a special spring hose clamp pliers form NAPA ($26). Since that lower hose is a b****! And it made the job much easier. Right tool for the job (words to live by)!

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...e+Clamp+Pliers

While I was doing the radiator I also replaced the main upper and lower hoses, thermostat and gasket. Total cost with Toyota lifetime antifreeze was about $400.

All is good now
The following users liked this post:
VikingKT (01-31-22)
Old 04-22-10, 08:08 PM
mr2fast
Driver

thanks for the replies..
man777 - I'll be going with the aluminum KOYO radiator (i didnt even see the brass one)

jditom - thanks for sharing your story, your original post is actually in the thread I linked. I'm curious though, you say:
Some of the OEM tank were defective. I would just get a KOYORAD and should last you the life of the rig.

My story is below.

I thought I would add to this tread since I just also replaced my radiator. I have read that there is a higher number than normal radiators that are prone to leaking from 2003-2006 in V8 Lexus/Toyota platforms.
do you have any information to support the fact that the problem is limited to the 03-06 models? And since the Koyo radiator has the same part number as the OE radiator is it possible that they were the OE supplier ?
Old 04-22-10, 10:33 PM
S8KWR
Driver School Candidate

+1 For Koyo's. I upgraded my Miata's radiator to a Koyo after my tanks exploded during a race while waiting in line. I raced with that radiator for 5 seasons, I was one of the only guys that would sit in line with the engine on and a/c pumping. Car never even thought about running hot. Great quality, great fit, and yes...it will outlast your rig.
Old 04-23-10, 06:38 AM
jditom
Pole Position

I just checked out multiple forums and it seemed to only be mentioned in some of the earlier year production. Do not know if Koyorad make the OEM one. Sure looks like it. When you get yours and compare you will see there is no difference. But you can sleep easy with a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-06-10, 09:36 AM
gx470_05
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the information.

I am in need of replacing my radiator as well. Not sure if I want to do it myself or take it to the shop. My main concern is the transmission fluid. Since the transmission lines connecting to the radiator has to be reconnected, do you need to add new ATF and how would you add it since my 05 gx470 is a close system?

Thank you.
Old 05-06-10, 01:40 PM
mann777

Originally Posted by gx470_05
Thanks for all the information.

I am in need of replacing my radiator as well. Not sure if I want to do it myself or take it to the shop. My main concern is the transmission fluid. Since the transmission lines connecting to the radiator has to be reconnected, do you need to add new ATF and how would you add it since my 05 gx470 is a close system?

Thank you.
Sorry Mate, where do you get this info Trans lines connected to the Radiator I suppose you are trying to say the coolant, iso ATF if i am right.
Old 05-06-10, 04:20 PM
gx470_05
Driver School Candidate

Default Mann777

Sorry, I meant the ATF lines.

From step 4 of your post on how to change the radiator:
"Now seperate the Fan shroud . and then disconnect the Radiator Hose which is at the top Right end. and another one at the bottom left also. Then you disconnect the Oil cooler inlet hose".

Would I need to add ATF after installing the new radiator? and how would I go about doing this since it is a closed system?

Thank you for your help.
Old 05-06-10, 10:16 PM
hammer0008
Rookie

Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF...Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins to trickle out of the overflow tube
Old 05-07-10, 07:01 AM
jditom
Pole Position

I only saw a couple of drops lost in the procedure.

Don't try to fill your ATF unless you know what you are doing. It is a closed system.

Disconnect the hoses and keep them pointed up or tie them up and there will be almost no ATF lost.
Old 05-07-10, 10:38 AM
gx470_05
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies.

One last question:

jditom I only saw a couple of drops lost in the procedure.

Don't try to fill your ATF unless you know what you are doing. It is a closed system.

Disconnect the hoses and keep them pointed up or tie them up and there will be almost no ATF lost.
Won't there be some ATF left in the old radiator? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure before I start on it.

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-10, 06:38 PM
hammer0008
Rookie

Originally Posted by gx470_05
Thanks for all the replies.

One last question:

Won't there be some ATF left in the old radiator? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure before I start on it.

Thanks again.
I suppose that the amount is not significant because the factory manual has nothing about adding ATF after radiator install. But to be safe I would add until overflow and the little bit of oxygen you introduce to the sealed system won't do anything.
Old 05-08-10, 10:14 AM
mann777

The inlet cooler tube is only disconnected, but there is no loss of oil. The safest way to avoid the pour down is you could plug the tube with some plastic into the tube vents. But there is no top up to this effect. It is a straight forward replacement of the radiatior and the coolant. One important thing is check out the hose condition( like do they look warped or any minor cracks). This would be the ideal time to do it once and for all.

Quick Reply: Replacing Leaking Radiator