GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Purchase '07 Lexus GX470 or Mercedes GL450 ???
Lexus GX470
65.22%
Mercedes GX450
34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Gx470 vs gl450

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 01:32 AM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gx470 vs gl450

Hey guys,
The purchase of a next family daily/weekend vacationer is imminent and I wanted to get your guy's input on the two cars I am considering. I know posting this here would probably be biased since this is the GX owners forum. But if any of you have had experience with the M-B GL450 or any GL trim, if you could give me some of your conclusions on the cars.

As of now, and the research I have done, I am leaning towards GL. What really tipped me was the seats. They both have great features, performance, and towing capacity. But the lexus has it's great reliability, but the GL just makes me feel much better as I enter the cabin.

I'll appreciate any help.. Thank you.
Old 03-12-10, 05:25 AM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTO 161
Hey guys,
The purchase of a next family daily/weekend vacationer is imminent and I wanted to get your guy's input on the two cars I am considering. I know posting this here would probably be biased since this is the GX owners forum. But if any of you have had experience with the M-B GL450 or any GL trim, if you could give me some of your conclusions on the cars.

As of now, and the research I have done, I am leaning towards GL. What really tipped me was the seats. They both have great features, performance, and towing capacity. But the lexus has it's great reliability, but the GL just makes me feel much better as I enter the cabin.

I'll appreciate any help.. Thank you.
would the GL also be used? I'd go with the gl either way, simply because it's a much more modern design and i think its a nicer vehicle. Have you considered the new gx460?
Old 03-12-10, 06:01 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently chose the 2010 GX 460 over the GL 450.

The interior of the GL is starting to seem a bit dated.

I definitely see the advantages of the GL if price and reliability are not major factors for you.
Old 03-12-10, 06:07 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife and I went to test drive the GL450 thinking that we'd buy one and sell the GX if we liked the GL. We were thinking we'd enjoy the additional room, plus my wife is a big fan of MB vehicles (and I can appreciate a lot of their attributes as well). I thought the GL was okay, but I was surprised at how much more "trucky" it felt on the road. Louder, stiffer, and just all around more like a domestic truck. Most shocking, my wife did not like it much at all. We got back into our GX and it just felt better. <shrug>
Old 03-12-10, 08:45 AM
dbacf
Driver School Candidate

GL reliability is a major problem, even if it is under warranty who wants to be visiting their dealer that often.

Does anyone know if the GL assembled in the US?
Old 03-12-10, 09:00 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercedes maintance are more expensive, but most of the parts are less expensive. I know this because we had at that time it was new ML55 .

Accoriding to Autoweek and car and driver:
It was originally conceived as a straight-up replacement for the maxi-utility G-Class, but Mercedes heard complaints from the Gelaendewagen faithful and ultimately decided to keep the Austrian-built niche model and add the Alabama-built GL-Class to the stable. The decision has served both sets of Mercedes owners well

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2007...#ixzz0hyyIf9no
Old 03-12-10, 09:00 AM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I am considering used cars, perferably '07. I think the GX460 might be out of my price range. But I will consider it.

Does the GL really have that many problems?
The GL is assembled in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Old 03-12-10, 09:01 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dbacf
GL reliability is a major problem, even if it is under warranty who wants to be visiting their dealer that often.

Does anyone know if the GL assembled in the US?
GL and ML are still made in Alabama.
Old 03-12-10, 09:26 AM
dbacf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
GL and ML are still made in Alabama.
What about the engines and transmissions?
Old 03-12-10, 10:54 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ARISTO 161
Yes, I am considering used cars, perferably '07. I think the GX460 might be out of my price range. But I will consider it.

Does the GL really have that many problems?
The GL is assembled in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
My uncle has new ML and he did not have any problem. As long as you buy new MBZ you fine. 3 years later ML and Gl have a lot of problem according to my friend who is Mercedes Benz service advisor. The cost of ownership is my higher for MBZ.

Have you consider used LX?
Old 03-12-10, 01:43 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was doing some more off-road the GX is the way to go.

If not I would go on what feels better to drive.
If I did the MB GL it would be the V6 Bluetec diesel for sure.
That is a great engine
Old 03-12-10, 08:11 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the process of switching from GX470 to GL450.

I've enjoyed 4 years with GX470. I wish I could say it was without problems, but sadly no. In the four years I had failed master cylinder, broken hand brake mechanism, multiple rear suspension problems, thump (drive shaft issue) and the transfer case problem (needing replacement - which resulted in some residual high freq vibration in the floor boards).

The last straw was when I went to the local dealers inquiring about a lease on the new GX460. I thought that being a current GX470 owner will count for something. Well, sadly no. I did speak to some very nice sales people, but their managers where bunch of aholes. They quoted me the lowest value on my trade-in while quoting MSRP+1000.00 for the GX460 premium, and not willing to discuss pricing.

Stopped by MB dealer. Got treated very well, no drama, or BS like at the Lexus dealer (I know weird, but true). Test drove the '10 GL450. It's quieter than GX470, especially at higher speeds (lower wind noise especially). Suspension is different, can't say if it's stiffer or softer than GX470 or GX460, just different. It felt better than my GX470 (no KDSS), but I think that it wasn't as confident as the GX460. Engine noise similar to GX470. Advantage in the GL450 is the 7 speed tranny, keeps rpm low at highway speeds. The third row on the GL450 is WAY better than GX470 or GX460, plus you can actually fit a stroller behind the third row once opened.

The overall feel of the GL450 is car like, which is understandable since GL450 is really a crossover (unibody) not a true offroad (body on frame) SUV. You still have a good towing capacity with the GL450, but I wouldn't take it off road, for that you will need the GX. Navigation and controls are better on the GX, both GX470 and GX460 (even though GX470 is a little dated).

Got a good deal on the new GL450. It actually came out cheaper than the new GX460. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the new GX460, or full leather interior (it's got the MB-tex), but it does have everything I wanted. I don't know about reliability, but I was not overly impressed with Lexus, so we'll just have to wait and see if MB can do it better :-)

So sorry guys, but I'm jumping ship to the MB crowd.

P.S. not recommending the V6 diesel. At first glance it looks great, better economy, similar performance, but if you count in the additional cost of maintenance and the other "hidden" costs, it all adds up. Also, apparently it's less reliable than the gas engine.

Last edited by gsobol; 03-12-10 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-12-10, 10:37 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I have always like the GX470. It is sad you had some problems, I always thought the GX470 was bullet-proof
Old 03-13-10, 07:16 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with antonio98 - the interior on the is a deal breaker for me. The handles on either side of the center console?! The 'add-on' looking seat controls?! The interior lets down an otherwise good looking exterior. I'm not biting on the GL.
Old 03-13-10, 07:17 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I have always like the GX470. It is sad you had some problems, I always thought the GX470 was bullet-proof
I thought so too. Maybe mine was a bananna ;-) (or some other fruit)

Last edited by gsobol; 03-14-10 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Gx470 vs gl450