GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Hardware Change - Lexus GX 470 Wper Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 04:40 PM
ApacheMono
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardware Change - Lexus GX 470 Wper Change

Hello All,

I want to change all my 3 wipers..How do I do that?? I tried pulling Wipers but it didnt work for me

What should I buy from Wal-mart ???

Model : Lexus GX 470
Old 03-01-10, 05:23 PM
nmmuzykam
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know most places that sell windshield wipers will usually have a little book or electronic pad thing that allows you to look up the size of your wiper blades for replacement...however, you may want to just go to the Lexus dealer and buy the OEM blades or rubber inserts, since they are designed specifically for the GX and therefore should provide the cleanest wipe and shouldn't drag or make an annoying noise whenever you use them...
Old 03-05-10, 01:05 PM
ApacheMono
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by nmmuzykam
I know most places that sell windshield wipers will usually have a little book or electronic pad thing that allows you to look up the size of your wiper blades for replacement...however, you may want to just go to the Lexus dealer and buy the OEM blades or rubber inserts, since they are designed specifically for the GX and therefore should provide the cleanest wipe and shouldn't drag or make an annoying noise whenever you use them...
Yes I did buy those wiper blades from Canadian Tire & Walmart by looking in the book but ended up in not getting them fixed. I was not able to replace them somehow and I didn't want to use force of any sort.I just wanted to know that can I buy wiper blade inserts or is there something else that needs to be purchased?
Old 03-06-10, 02:40 PM
mansito
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ApacheMono
Yes I did buy those wiper blades from Canadian Tire & Walmart by looking in the book but ended up in not getting them fixed. I was not able to replace them somehow and I didn't want to use force of any sort.I just wanted to know that can I buy wiper blade inserts or is there something else that needs to be purchased?
Nothing special about the GX wiper blades. The wiper arm uses the standard "U" hook to hold the blade in place. Any standard blade with a "U" adapter will work.
Old 03-08-10, 05:18 AM
tommynasty
Driver School Candidate

Before the Winter I bought the rain-X lattitudes b/c the OEM ones weren't giving me a clean wipe. I've been very happy with the rain-X wiper blades. Like mansito just described, once you pop the factory blades off its a standard "U" hook. Install was much easy than expected. Make sure you look up the sizes in the book, b/c one of the front ones is an inch shorter than the other, I don't know if that is common on most cars but that seemed pretty weird to me.
Old 03-08-10, 08:22 AM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you look up the sizes in the book, b/c one of the front ones is an inch shorter than the other, I don't know if that is common on most cars but that seemed pretty weird to me.[/QUOTE]

Most of the cars Ive owned have had different length front wipers. You'll know if you put them on the wrong side.

The "U hook" wiper arm seems to be the industry standard so most any wiper bought anywhere will work (and they're REALLY easy to install).
Old 03-08-10, 09:20 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ApacheMono
If your GX still has the original NWB brand wiper blades you can buy Toyota Genuine Parts inserts from any Toyota/Lexus dealer that carries the inserts (not all dealers carry inserts, but most do). If you go to a Toyota dealer ask for your year model 4Runner inserts if they don't have a listing for the GX.

The aftermarket blades from Wal*Mart will fit just fine if you chose to use those. Michelin, Rain-X, Anco, etc. 22" for driver side, 21" for passenger.