GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Child Seat Fitment (for second-row seat)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 08:25 AM
D&KsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased our GX470 for my wife with the sole purpose of transporting our now 6 month old daughter back and forth to daycare. So obviously we wanted plenty of room and a safe comforatble atmosphere for our daughter to ride in. We picked the GX because of the versatility of the child seat anchors (amongst other things). I can not speak for the Britax model but we have a Chicco Cortina travel system. We put the base in the middle (best spot incase the side impact airbags go off) and used the latches just like the dealership said. As I am sure you are aware you can pull up a little flap of leather on the passenger seats (secured with velcro) and you will actually be able to see the two anchors that can be used for a middle placement. Yes you will be technically using one anchor from the left passenger and one from the right passenger, and the child seat will not be perfectly centered. Before our daughter was born we took the seat to the Fire Deparment and had a certified seat installer look at it and verify that everything was safe. He said it looked great but to make sure everytime we had to reinstall it to put our total bodyweight on the base and pull as tight as we could on the adjustment strap. All that being said, once installed we both have lots of room in the front seats. I prefer my seat setting to be more reclined and my wife sits more upright while driving. We are both 5'8" and our family rides comforably wherever we go. Hope this helps even though its not the Britax model.
Old 03-12-10, 08:47 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D&KsLexus
I purchased our GX470 for my wife with the sole purpose of transporting our now 6 month old daughter back and forth to daycare. So obviously we wanted plenty of room and a safe comforatble atmosphere for our daughter to ride in. We picked the GX because of the versatility of the child seat anchors (amongst other things). I can not speak for the Britax model but we have a Chicco Cortina travel system. We put the base in the middle (best spot incase the side impact airbags go off) and used the latches just like the dealership said. As I am sure you are aware you can pull up a little flap of leather on the passenger seats (secured with velcro) and you will actually be able to see the two anchors that can be used for a middle placement. Yes you will be technically using one anchor from the left passenger and one from the right passenger, and the child seat will not be perfectly centered. Before our daughter was born we took the seat to the Fire Deparment and had a certified seat installer look at it and verify that everything was safe. He said it looked great but to make sure everytime we had to reinstall it to put our total bodyweight on the base and pull as tight as we could on the adjustment strap. All that being said, once installed we both have lots of room in the front seats. I prefer my seat setting to be more reclined and my wife sits more upright while driving. We are both 5'8" and our family rides comforably wherever we go. Hope this helps even though its not the Britax model.

Thants exactly what I did. I installed my Britax in the middleand and I used two anchors or latches from both sides left and right. And yes if you gently pull the leather you will see two anchors. Thats why one of the reason we bought GX. On Infitity FX45 it was impossible to put in the middle. I took my car to the CHP to make sure I did it right. They said it looks good, just make sure your straps are tight.
Old 03-12-10, 08:49 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

I try my best to post pictures. If somebody wants I can email pictures, and if you can post it would be great. My email westmotors777@sbcglobal.net

Thank you.
Old 03-12-10, 06:16 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Thants exactly what I did. I installed my Britax in the middleand and I used two anchors or latches from both sides left and right. And yes if you gently pull the leather you will see two anchors. Thats why one of the reason we bought GX. On Infitity FX45 it was impossible to put in the middle. I took my car to the CHP to make sure I did it right. They said it looks good, just make sure your straps are tight.
Two data points:
1) from the owner's manual, p77: "lower anchorages are provided for the right side seat and between the center and left side seats". It does not say an anchorage has been provided for the middle location.
2) the distance between two latch points is spec'd at about 11". This is a standard measurement and takes into account the forces applied to the anchors. The distance between the two inner-most anchors (the ones you guys are using) is ~13". In other words, this isn't attached per spec.

Yes, you can jerry-rig it and put the seat in the center, but be aware that the anchors weren't engineered to support that much spread between the anchor points. If it were me, I'd use the center shoulder belt if I was putting a baby seat in the middle. This is what they show in our owner's manuals as well.
Old 03-14-10, 05:27 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

A tip for forward facing car seats:

The headrests for the back seats curve forward. When installing a forward facing car seat, the headrests tend to interfere with the top of the car seat. To fix this, completely remove the headrests from the back seats, turn the headrests around, and then slide the metal posts back into the holes. By reversing the headrest, they will curve towards the rear of the cabin and allow a much better fit for the car seats.

I have found that I can more thoroughly secure the car seat when the headrests are in the reverse position.
Old 03-15-10, 07:50 AM
D&KsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Two data points:
1) from the owner's manual, p77: "lower anchorages are provided for the right side seat and between the center and left side seats". It does not say an anchorage has been provided for the middle location.
2) the distance between two latch points is spec'd at about 11". This is a standard measurement and takes into account the forces applied to the anchors. The distance between the two inner-most anchors (the ones you guys are using) is ~13". In other words, this isn't attached per spec.

Yes, you can jerry-rig it and put the seat in the center, but be aware that the anchors weren't engineered to support that much spread between the anchor points. If it were me, I'd use the center shoulder belt if I was putting a baby seat in the middle. This is what they show in our owner's manuals as well.
I see what your saying Stile_S but since Lexus isnt into manufacturing car seats and no manufacturers make model specific bases or seats, the manufacturer designs a base or seat that can be used in different configurations. This is not in my opinion "Jerry Rigging" and I feel the seat is much more secure with the latches over the shoulderbelt. If a firefighter or other authority that has sat through a certification class in child seat restraint and proper installation techniques, approves my seat, I feel comfortable that my daughter is secure.

With that being said, does anyone know if they have changed or added any new latches in the GX460? I can see on in my near future.
Old 03-15-10, 01:09 PM
Raid05
Driver School Candidate

I see what your saying Stile_S but since Lexus isnt into manufacturing car seats and no manufacturers make model specific bases or seats, the manufacturer designs a base or seat that can be used in different configurations. This is not in my opinion "Jerry Rigging" and I feel the seat is much more secure with the latches over the shoulderbelt. If a firefighter or other authority that has sat through a certification class in child seat restraint and proper installation techniques, approves my seat, I feel comfortable that my daughter is secure.

With that being said, does anyone know if they have changed or added any new latches in the GX460? I can see on in my near future.
The specifications for LATCH is what he is referring to. Any vehicle equipped with LATCH anchors is going to have to meet LATCH specs, which is 11 inches center to center.

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Just to play devil's advocate, lets say you position your car seat in the "center" position, get into an accident, LATCH anchors fail, and your child is injured or killed. Slam dunk case against Toyota right?

Toyota says "Nope, failure caused by improper installation and side-loading exceeding specification, not our fault."

Obviously I wish no harm on you or your child, and you are certainly free to do as you please; but for me, when it comes to my daughter, I'm going the cautious route every time.
Old 03-16-10, 12:39 PM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Two data points:

I agree. I am more comfortable putting my daughter in her Britax behind the driver's seat using both left side anchors which I know will hold. I had thought re using a anchor from each side in a center seat placement and emailed the Consumer Reports car seat guru for their advice. They advised not doing it for the same reason that you have explained. Thus, my daughters using both left anchors and does benefit from the offset positioning which moves her farther away from a side impact. My second choice would be a center position using a belt.
Old 03-17-10, 11:01 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Raid05
The specifications for LATCH is what he is referring to. Any vehicle equipped with LATCH anchors is going to have to meet LATCH specs, which is 11 inches center to center.

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Just to play devil's advocate, lets say you position your car seat in the "center" position, get into an accident, LATCH anchors fail, and your child is injured or killed. Slam dunk case against Toyota right?

Toyota says "Nope, failure caused by improper installation and side-loading exceeding specification, not our fault."

Obviously I wish no harm on you or your child, and you are certainly free to do as you please; but for me, when it comes to my daughter, I'm going the cautious route every time.
What kind of impact should be done to 6000 lbs Lexus GX in order break the latches? I just finish reading Britax manual and they said the safest place is to put in the middle and use latches as attachment. And according to Pediatric Association the safest place is in the middle.
Old 03-17-10, 04:56 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
What kind of impact should be done to 6000 lbs Lexus GX in order break the latches? I just finish reading Britax manual and they said the safest place is to put in the middle and use latches as attachment. And according to Pediatric Association the safest place is in the middle.
Well, let's all play armchair engineer.

Latch connectors are typically rated to keep a child safely restrained in a car, while the following is true:
- seat+child <=40lbs
- latch connectors are used as designed.

As we've noted above, those of you "latching" a baby seat in the middle of the rear sear aren't using the latch connectors as-designed. Lexus recommends using the shoulder-belt method for this placement.

The rest is a risk assessment we all get to make.
Old 01-04-12, 10:00 PM
N305AS
Rookie

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but per a friend in law enforcement, trained to assess LATCH installations, the use of the two inboard LATCH anchors for middle seat placement is perfectly acceptable.
Old 07-01-15, 11:10 AM
TERiNNA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! I found the latches but just wasn't sure if the could be installed that way. I guess I'll just have my husband try this out tomorrow.