GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Michelin Cross Terrain / Latitude Tour comparison

Old 01-21-10, 12:18 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Michelin Cross Terrain / Latitude Tour comparison

Since the question of tires comes up pretty often here in the GX470 forum, I thought I'd post up my experiences. I'll begin by restating what I've said in the LS430 forum -- that I'm a picky SOB when it comes to tires. As most of us here realize, tires can make or break a vehicle's on-the-road characteristics, and are a factor every second that you are driving. It goes without saying that picking the right tire to meet your needs can be critical to getting the most satisfaction from your vehicle.

Cliff's Notes for those who don't want the details: I don't think most people would notice any difference between the two tires, with the possible exception being if you do a lot of wet driving, driving on snow and ice, or offroading.

Background: Michelin introduced the new Latitude Tour (not to be confused with the Latitude Tour HP) to the replacement tire market in late 2008 (though it had been OEM on a couple of vehicles since 2007). The LT superseeded the Cross Terrain in many sizes and offered about 4 new sizes. Michelin did not discontinue the Cross Terrain in all sizes, including the OE GX470 size. Therefore, GX owners still have the choice between CT and LT when they buy new tires.

I have been and remain a HUGE fan of the Michelin Cross Terrain tire for the GX470. It also seems that pretty much everyone who has owned CTs and posted in the GX forum has given them rave reivews, or at the least, positive reviews. I've also heard a lot of positive things about the Latitude Tour, and I've seen the Michelin Spider Charts showing that ride, noise, wet grip, snow grip, and fuel mileage are all improved vs. the Cross Terrain (Michelin claims that every aspect is improved or at least equal, except that the CT offers better off-road traction). The LT carries a very significantly higher Treadwear rating number, but this is due to new rating system that has been implemented resulting in numbers that are not directly comparable -- Michelin says they expect no difference in the number of service miles from the tires.

I deliberated a lot on whether to buy another set of CTs, or try the LTs. I talked to a Michelin Brand Manager that I know, and he recommened the LTs for my purposes (on-road use, decent bit of rain here in FL, etc.). I liked the CTs so much that I was still very hesitant to buy the LTs instead of the proven CTs, but I held my breath and bought the LTs.

Verdict: It's only been a few days and I don't have more than ~40 under-50-MPH miles on them, but I can barely, if at all, detect a difference so far. I am pretty sure that if someone switched out these tires on your truck unknowingly to you, and assuming your old set wasn't performing poorly due to being worn out (mine weren't worn out), you wouldn't notice the difference in normal driving on wet or dry roads.

Since I'm really paying attention and trying to discern any differences, I *think* I can tell the smallest of differences in the feel on the road (the ride quality and feel through the steering wheel). The best way to characterize it is to say that the LTs feel a little bit more like car tires, while the CTs have an ever-so-slightly truck tire feel (but not in any harsh or negative truck-tire way -- they suit the GX perfectly, IMO). All that nit-picking aside, I'd still say that there is little if any difference in the ride, overall comfort, or feel on the road (at the same inflation pressure).

I haven't noticed any handling difference, but then I don't drive the truck anywhere near the "limit" so I wouldn't expect to see a difference unless it were pretty major.

I don't think I can tell any difference in noise (always thought the CTs were practically silent), but my wife kinda sorta thinks the LTs might be ever-so-slightly quieter, but she quickly notes that she's hair-splitting and it might be her imagination (and keep in mind that the CTs were partially worn out, but nowhere near fully worn).

We don't have snow here in FL, and I never had any problems in the rain with the CTs, so I have no basis to compare them in snow and rain conditions. However, IIRC, Michelin claims a significant improvement in snow and wet traction (and looking at the tread, one would expect that to be the case), so those certainly might be considerations for some.

Michelin says the CT is a better off-road tire due to its more open tread. I expect that's true, but I don't drive this truck any place that 4WD and these LT tires won't take me, so it isn't an issue for me. That said, even the CTs aren't off road tires, so most people are probably in the "you won't ever notice the difference" category like me.

Looks wise, I guess it's just a matter of preference if someone happened to prefer one over the other, but for me it's pretty even. The CT has a slightly more open/aggressive tread and a smoother sidewall. The LT has the newer style Michelin sidewall with the Bib figure and similar but different sidewall/edge blocks. Neither is "agressive" looking in any regard compared to many truck tires.

The LT is supposed to get a little better mileage (MPG), but I'm not sure of the details of that claim -- not sure if they are testing it at a higher inflation pressure to reduce the rolling resistance, or if it's just an inherently lower resistance tire. The LT has a 44 PSI max pressure rating, while the CT carries 36 PSI max, IIRC. Again, not sure if that plays into the MPG rating or not, but I run both at about 35 PSI.

If I had it to do again at this point, I'm not sure which I'd buy for my purposes. I don't find a fault with either of them, and I have a sentimental spot for the CTs for some reason, so I might go with them even though I haven't yet found a real reason. LOL

Edit: Photos lifted from TireRack.com and added.
Attached Thumbnails Michelin Cross Terrain / Latitude Tour comparison-cross-terrain-suv.jpg   Michelin Cross Terrain / Latitude Tour comparison-latitude-tour.jpg   Michelin Cross Terrain / Latitude Tour comparison-img_2195.jpg  

Last edited by I6turbo; 01-25-10 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-21-10, 02:59 PM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good post I6turbo, I have been pondering which one between these two s/b my next replacement, I will base on price and availability when time comes,thanks.
Old 01-22-10, 08:43 AM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent post! BTW: Like you, I'd expect new tires to be a bit more quiet and handle better than worn ones regardless of the CT or LT.

I would prefer to stay with the CT's but, as the LT's appear to be the newer technology, am concerned that the CT's might not be around for the life of new CT's I buy now (65K miles lasts me 5+ years) in case I need a replacement due to damage.

Please keep us updated as you put more miles on the LT's. Your experience thus far has me more comfortable with making the move.
Old 01-22-10, 12:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the main diff is performance in the snow, The cross terrain is better in the snow.
Old 01-22-10, 12:37 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pgsandiego
I would prefer to stay with the CT's but, as the LT's appear to be the newer technology, am concerned that the CT's might not be around for the life of new CT's I buy now (65K miles lasts me 5+ years) in case I need a replacement due to damage.
That's a good point. I just asked my Michelin friend how long the CT's will remain in production and while he didn't know for sure, he guessed another year or two. Then one would expect them to be around in dealer/distributor inventories for a good while after that, but by the time you get out 5 or 6 years, they might be getting hard to come by.
Old 01-23-10, 09:29 AM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting pictures. Dang, I really don't care for the LT's thread design. Looks car-like rather than the more rugged CT's.
Old 01-25-10, 06:41 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I'm not terribly crazy about the "more car tire" look either, but there's not a huge difference -- not very noticable -- in person, unless you kind of focus your attention on a comparison of the tread. The LT looks almost as "rugged" overall as the CT I suppose, depending upon whether or not you focus on the tread, or just the overall look. It's not really as if the CT is an aggressive looking tire, though the CT tread pattern is definitely less "car" looking.

I edited the original post, added a photo of the tires on the truck, and also updated the 1st two paragraphs under the Verdict section.

Last edited by I6turbo; 01-25-10 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 07:57 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Yes, I'm not terribly crazy about the "more car tire" look either, but there's not a huge difference -- not very noticable -- in person, unless you kind of focus your attention on a comparison of the tread. The LT looks almost as "rugged" overall as the CT I suppose, depending upon whether or not you focus on the tread, or just the overall look. It's not really as if the CT is an aggressive looking tire, though the CT tread pattern is definitely less "car" looking.

I edited the original post, added a photo of the tires on the truck, and also updated the 1st two paragraphs under the Verdict section.
Both are very capable tires and more importantly you chose 2 Michelins to choose from IMO they are the best. I actually would have added a 3rd Michelin to the list- MICHELIN LTX M/S. The LTX's are great performers for the northeast weather changes. I run them on my wifes GMC Envoy and love them. I have the Cross-terrains on my GX and love them as well.