GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cheap Replacement Keys for GX!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 12:57 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cheap Replacement Keys for GX!

I found a really good place on eBay that sells TWO of these blanks AND cuts the key for you for $39.00. All you have to do is give them the key code (or even a photo of your key) and 3 days later you have two new keys. You simply transfer the guts from your old broken key into the new shell. The new shell is thicker and stronger than the OEM shell. I couldn't be happier and wanted to pass it along.

This is for folks that have cracked the plastic housing on their key but the key still works. This one fits Lexus but he has other brands available as well.

The place is called Rocket-key and is on eBay. Price is $39.00 for two complete keys already cut. Just add the innards (takes literally one minute) and you're good to go with about $600.00 savings over buying from the Dealer.

Seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rocket-keys/

Last edited by bareyb; 03-03-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-13-10, 08:19 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the info!
Old 02-15-10, 01:27 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered a key from Rocket Keys for $39.99 total.

~ Cap
Old 02-15-10, 09:12 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the update , all I've ever did was replace batteries so far ..
Old 02-15-10, 09:26 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've bought Lexus blanks from the U.K. (appeared to be OE blanks) and had them cut locally for about the same overall cost, but this source looks like MUCH less of a PITA since they come pre-cut. Have you actually used yours yet? I found that some of the blanks varied a little bit in thickness and that had to be compensated for by the key cutter -- he had to set the cut depth to leave the same amount of remaining thickness, not simply cut to the same groove depth.
Old 02-15-10, 10:51 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I've bought Lexus blanks from the U.K. (appeared to be OE blanks) and had them cut locally for about the same overall cost, but this source looks like MUCH less of a PITA since they come pre-cut. Have you actually used yours yet? I found that some of the blanks varied a little bit in thickness and that had to be compensated for by the key cutter -- he had to set the cut depth to leave the same amount of remaining thickness, not simply cut to the same groove depth.
The two keys I got from Rocket-key work perfectly. I've been using them for a few months now.
Old 02-18-10, 09:38 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato

I just ordered two keys from Rocket-Keys for $39.99 total.

~ Cap
Received my two keys today from Rocket-Keys.

Transferred the inards from the broken key to one of the new ones. Works perfectly.

~ Cap
Old 02-23-10, 10:14 AM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered last Friday, Feb 19. I didn't have the code so all I did was emailed him a pick of the back and front of my keys taken with my iphone and I got the keys Monday, Feb 22. Transferred the insert from the old broken key to the new one and everything works great. Only thing is, the insert is a little deeper that the original casing. He does include two round stickies that you can put to push the insert out more but not enough. I even used the paper backing where the stickes were stuck to and folded it and included both stickies to push the insert out a bit more.

All in all, great quality, fast shipping, great price and it works...That's all that matters!
Old 03-03-10, 07:23 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Link doesnt work and i cant find the seller on ebay. Please help out need key asap.

thanks
Old 03-03-10, 11:15 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Vinniety
Link doesnt work and i cant find the seller on ebay. Please help out need key asap.

thanks
Bummer. Maybe he's getting too busy? Here's a list of some other people who seem to be doing the same type of thing. You may end up having to have the key cut locally and just buy the blanks... Good luck. Let us know if you find another reputable dealer.
Old 03-03-10, 11:22 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Originally Posted by bareyb
Bummer. Maybe he's getting too busy? Here's a list of some other people who seem to be doing the same type of thing. You may end up having to have the key cut locally and just buy the blanks... Good luck. Let us know if you find another reputable dealer.
Found the seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rocket-keys/
Old 03-03-10, 11:23 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Good job. I'll change the OP. Thanks!
Old 05-28-10, 09:58 AM
rael
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATE: 1010Keys

I, too, was looking for Rocket Keys; not there any more. It looks like the name changed to 1010Keys on ebay. I just ordered a set at the same $39.99 and I will post when the keys arrive. My spare original just broke yesterday, so now they are both broken. Not bad I guess for 121K and 10 years. The car still looks brand new. Here is the link:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1010keys/
Old 05-31-10, 09:06 AM
secsip
Driver School Candidate

I got a black housing and a pink housing to replace my keys a couple years ago. I think they were approx. $8/each. There is a local guy in the Dallas area that has the special key cutting device and I think he charges about $20 a key. Got two keys for $60.

It was nice not to have to use glue and electrical tape any more, but I am not very fond of Lexus' quality in keys. It's sad that so many people have had to replace them.
Old 05-31-10, 06:11 PM
skumar5588
Driver School Candidate

Default Need keys for my GX470

Hi there, anyone out there know how can get duplicate keys made for my 2005 GX470. I have been using the grey key with out the built in remote to open doors. I have a remote autostart I have been using it to open the doors. The dealer charges $300 each. I know they have a chip in it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

sk

Quick Reply: Cheap Replacement Keys for GX!