GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cheap Replacement Keys for GX!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 10:19 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you get the key code? We lost our three button key and only have the non remote one now and it sux having to use the actual key to unlock and lock the doors. Even more so that there is only a key slot on the driver door. Thx for the thread!!
Old 01-09-15, 01:37 AM
is503
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmittysGX
Where do you get the key code? We lost our three button key and only have the non remote one now and it sux having to use the actual key to unlock and lock the doors. Even more so that there is only a key slot on the driver door. Thx for the thread!!
The only problem here is that since you don't have the master key, you won't be able to program another one to your vehicle. If you're going to use the eBay guy, you will have the option of taking a picture of both sides of your key, and the seller will figure out your key code for you, but once again you won't be able to program a new key w/out having a master key, you will only be able to use the new key to unlock your door.
Old 01-09-15, 08:24 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up! I have 1 broken key shell so I might as well get a replacement.
Old 01-09-15, 09:58 AM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is503
The only problem here is that since you don't have the master key, you won't be able to program another one to your vehicle. If you're going to use the eBay guy, you will have the option of taking a picture of both sides of your key, and the seller will figure out your key code for you, but once again you won't be able to program a new key w/out having a master key, you will only be able to use the new key to unlock your door.
I have 1 key with the remote and have some coming my way. How do I program my new remote keys? I was under the impression I had to go to the dealer or buy a programmer?
Old 01-09-15, 10:49 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by is503
Good to know, guess this ebay seller does me no good. Thx for the info
Old 01-10-15, 07:38 AM
is503
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dashome
I have 1 key with the remote and have some coming my way. How do I program my new remote keys? I was under the impression I had to go to the dealer or buy a programmer?
To program the transponder portion of your key, you'll need to either take it to the dealer, take it to a local indie key shop that may be able to program, or buy techstream (available on amazon) and do it yourself. To program the remote to unlock you vehicle, it is a series of steps of locking/open/closing door that can be found if you search the forum.
Old 01-10-15, 07:44 AM
is503
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SmittysGX
Good to know, guess this ebay seller does me no good. Thx for the info
I think it's time for some spring cleaning for you. You need to find the master key!!! If you lose the valet key, you will be SOL.. Your last option is the Stealership might need to reprogram you ecu then program new keys to it.
I just thought of another option for you for a spare key that will start your vehicle. Certain ace hardware stores have keys that can copy the transponder code on your valet key and transfer the same signal to your car. Only limiting factor is if they will be able to replicate the laser cut key. I think they call it high security cut key. Hope this helps, whatever you do, don't loose your last key.
Old 03-07-15, 08:50 PM
Phil676
Driver School Candidate

Default unable to program key fo 05 gx

I bought a programmer from a seller based on recomendations on this thread. It's been a few days after I received my purchase and I haven't heard back from them regarding the problems I'm having. I have a 3 button key that works. i bought a 3button switchblade and obd keymaker programmer (orange) from them. the key was cut perfectly. I was able to program the 3 buttons to work. However, the car won't start w the new key after several attempts of using the programmer and instructions they provided. I'm guessing the instructions they provided may be for a different car or are missing a step. does anyone have specific instruction on programming a new key w the programmer and a working 3 button key?
Old 03-10-15, 10:41 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Phil676 did you get the program to work

Just wondering if you were able to get the program to work. I assume you were trying to use techstream? Thanks Al
Old 03-21-15, 07:57 AM
Phil676
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aljodoro
Just wondering if you were able to get the program to work. I assume you were trying to use techstream? Thanks Al
Hi Al. I have not. I contacted the seller and after some more back n forth they agreed to send me a new key chip...which I have not received yet. Once I get the new chip I will try again And let you know. My local locksmith said he would only charge 20 to program a key I brought him and the seller agreed to pay for the programming in case the programmer doesn't work for the new chip.
Old 03-21-15, 03:14 PM
dkotanto
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Run into the same issue with the transponder (ebay key). The lock/unlock works fine. The car will not start with the replacement key. I used techstream and I get errors when I try to code the transponder.

Please keep us posted with the outcome.

Thx!