GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

any lexus techs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 11:45 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any lexus techs?

I am looking for a step by step on how to check the fluid pressure and how to add or remove and bleed the air out.
Old 01-12-10, 09:22 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Woa------!!
Old 01-13-10, 09:47 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Chris, I suggest you have this done with the dealer, as this is major job, you require lot of tools to do this job. If you still insist, get the Repair manual, which Bob has advertised, Maybe you can start from there. My recommendation is get the job done thru the dealer or get the books and have it done thru a pro-mechanic.
Also just inquisitive, why are you doing this job, could i know.
Old 01-13-10, 01:16 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Thanks for chiming I'm Mann777. The ride is stiff and bottoms out in the rear. It went away once when I filled the fuel tank to full. But it has been the same stiff ride ever since. I thought that it was from replacing the driveshaft since that was where someones hands were last. I went back to the dealer twice and they said they can't find anything. It is driving me crazy. I understand fluid dynamics and it feels like too much gas. I don't know what else to do though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-10, 03:11 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure you have checked yout tire air pressure.
In the AM (cold temp) at 32psi.

What tires are you using?
Old 01-13-10, 06:41 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jditom
I am sure you have checked yout tire air pressure.
In the AM (cold temp) at 32psi.

What tires are you using?
are you serious?
Old 01-14-10, 09:24 AM
mann777

Chris
Do the Following steps and let us know.
1. Park the vehicle on a stable ground ( Flat surface) and remove parking brakes, now stabilize the vehicle by going to the corners and give it a shake
2. Steering at 10:10 position. Wheels Aligned straight ahead.
3. Now Start the engine, Do not sit on the seat, move the parking brakes by stretching your legs to the pedals, now move the Gear lever to 'N.
4. Move the Height Control Switch to High. Wait 3 secs now move to 'Low'. Wait for 7 Seconds.
5. The compressor will start working after 28 Sec delay. Wait till this kicks in.
6. Repeat this process repeatedly and watch the rear wheel height difference is measured or if any close visible. If no luck, Shut the Engine off at the Height Control switch to off position
7.Jack the wheel up and remove the Rear wheel.
8. HAve some soap solution sprayed across the Stabilizer Bracket Valve tubes. This is the culprit which usually has faulty "O" rings with that needs replacement.
The job from here is a long job to remove, you need specilised tools to replaced the Stabilizer Bracket Valve Assy ( Cost 38/$-pc).

Now with regards to the bleed air out of the suspension, Remove the Height Control tube in Sequence 1 and then 2. Till you find the vehicle has stabilized and re-insert the tube. Be careful when you remove and insert, These are sensitive tubes with clamps . Prior to this Ensure you remove the harness connected to the Air Suspension, and then do the job.

Have the wheel fitted, Lower the Car, Start the Car , Move the Height Control Switch to Low Position, and wait for the compressor to kick in and fill the air the pump. Here go for a trial ride, ( Ensure you are on less traffic street ( sway from left to right ( steering it ) to stabilize the car. Thats it you are good to go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Height Control Tube.pdf (42.4 KB, 411 views)
File Type: pdf

Last edited by mann777; 01-14-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-14-10, 11:11 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Wow. Thank you. Its a shame I can't have this done at the dealer since it is certified. They keep telling me nothing is wrong.
Old 01-14-10, 11:28 AM
mann777

If you are covered under Comprehensive Warranty, then you need to take to the dealer and compare with the similar GX and trial ride both. Ensure you hit some road humps . The effects will be felt if they are bottoming on your vehcile and other one having a smooth ride. Pray that this happens as murphy laws when it has to happen, normally it does not happen !
ceeyaa
Old 01-14-10, 11:55 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

May I add that it only takes a couple seconds to lower it from neutral and several to go to full height. Does this narrow down the diagnosis Mann777 ?
Old 01-14-10, 11:57 AM
agood1
Rookie

I'm having the same issue as chris. I was hoping I could just recalibrate the suspension with the TIS tech tool. Is that not possible?
Old 01-14-10, 12:35 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I was just going to go underneath it and adjust the screws on the sensors a little higher. But Mann777 gave me some ideas.

Last edited by chrisvr6; 01-14-10 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 10:06 AM
mann777

Cool

Nopes, the pneumatic cylinder is not holding pressure. Adjusting the sensor height would not suffice your problem. What is happening is the Air in the suspension fluid is too less to hold of as there is a leak, which is not sustaining at all. The stabs become to bellow within, and there is increase of the N2 gas which is entering the suspension fluid, thereby the fluid pressure decreases. This is where your problem is of not holding the Charging pressure, and you vehicle raises it bar above the norm values. This overshoots the sensor reading store in the ECM. Get the Stabilizer Control Assy replaced, All your problems are solved.

Agood, The TIS tool will help only re-calibrate the KDSS system , not the height control,. Since you have it try it.
Old 01-15-10, 11:12 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Thank you!
Old 01-15-10, 12:28 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Agood1. Let us know if you get this fix done and what your conclusion is. Thanks.

Quick Reply: any lexus techs?