GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just replace differential and transfer case oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 02:37 PM
schan1w
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replace differential and transfer case oil

Just replace my differential and transfer case oils this weekend. I noticed that the front diff oil was fairly thick and greenish and the rear diff was the same, but not as thick. Seems like the front received more wear and tear and sludge type material. Transfer case oil was not thick at all, and brownish/black in appearance. My GX has 38K miles, never taken off road, just local and highway miles over 3 years. Replaced them all with Mobile 1 75w90 synthetic gear oil. I don't plan to change again until about 100K miles. What are other people's experiences?
Old 11-09-09, 02:48 PM
kutsyy
Driver

If you don't tow, why would you change differential and transfer case oils to start with?
Old 11-09-09, 04:19 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just all 3 on mine last week as well. Also with M1 75/90W. Great stuff. Good to get the old stuff out. I just got my GX and she has 65k on her. I also did the drive shaft greese with M1.
Old 11-09-09, 06:38 PM
not sure
Driver School Candidate

Will either of you please report any changes you may have noticed after the switch to Mobil 1? mpg change, etc.? I changed my own with valvoline conventional and wondered if i should've gone mobil 1. (i seem to recall debates in the past about diffs needing convention to perform properly?).

it was a delightfully-easy task to do and gets the old nasty stuff out of there. mine with ~35k on the oil fit a similar description; thick-ish, bluish/grey color with plenty of metallic particles on the magnetic plugs (diffs only, not xfer case?) so why WOULDN'T you change it considering how easy it was?

pjam!
Old 11-09-09, 07:37 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I stick with the OEM for my comprehensive wartanties, I was just reading Mobil1 application on the above type oil.

Quote "
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is recommended for use in modern high performance automobiles like SUV's, Vans and Light duty trucks requiring API GL-5 and MT-1 level performance
Mobil 1 Synthetic gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is intended for initial fill, topping-off or refilling differentials, final drives, transfer cases and other gear applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5 and multi-purpose or mild EP gear lubricants are recommended
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 can also be used in rear axles where API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended
Not recommended for automatic, manual or semiautomatic transmissions for which engine oil or automatic transmission fluids are recommended
Where extended service intervals and warranties are required" Unquote
Old 11-09-09, 09:59 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Have not noticed any difference, just piece of mind that it was changed and done right.
Old 11-10-09, 02:36 AM
mann777

JD just curious which grease of the M1 type used
Old 11-10-09, 10:30 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does someone have a list showing the oil grades and the type of oils to use and where? What i mean is what gear oil grade is used on the front differential, 75/90.....80/90 you guys know what i mean.

Thanks
Old 11-10-09, 02:05 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mann777
JD just curious which grease of the M1 type used
I use this for drive shafts and bearings.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...ic_Grease.aspx
Old 11-10-09, 03:57 PM
schan1w
Driver

The factor service manual (page attached) says to use API GL-5 with recommended viscocity of SAE 90 if above 0 degrees and 80W or 80W-90 for below 0 F. I think 75W90 is just fine. In fact, I was just in the Toyota dealer recently to pick up something and I saw they now offer bottles of "Toyota 75W140 Synthetic Gear Oil" I asked about it, and they guy says that they use this now when they service their vehicles. The Toyota oil was $20 per quart. M1 also has a a 75W140 at about $18, but I thought this was overkill for my use (non-off road). I just got the 75W90 at around $8 per quart. Interesting, the service manual does not indicate what type of oil to use for the transfer case. Lots of people have used M1 75W90, so that's why I used for everything.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3.pdf (13.6 KB, 1117 views)
Old 11-10-09, 04:00 PM
schan1w
Driver

No info on mpg difference yet.
Old 11-10-09, 05:23 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by schan1w
No info on mpg difference yet.
It won't make any difference
Old 11-10-09, 08:34 PM
mann777

JD, I am sorry, you messed up on the grease part for your shaft...the grease for the shaft to be used is not synthetic, but Molybdenum disulphide based. The grease you have used should be used only on Bearings, it is synthetic based and the Shaft Moly grease, this is lithium based and have the chemical content MB that last for at least 5 to 10 k. More than the Synthetic base, as a simple washout would have them peeled off. These dont. Check with our dealer he will tell the same one. And also if you have the manual, this is the only stuff to be used.
Old 11-10-09, 10:02 PM
schan1w
Driver

mann77 - I have no idea what you're talking about. The service manual says "Lithium base chassis grease (NLGI No. 2)" while the M1 synthetic grease says "Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease is an NLGI No 2 high-performance automotive grease which combines a synthetic base fluid with a lithium complex soap thickener... Certified to the NLGI GC-LB specifications for both chassis and wheel bearing lubrication" Attached is the Lexus service manual page about chassis lubrication

Also, you previously said that you "I stick with the OEM" regarding the gear oil. In both cases, you didn't tell us what you consider OEM? Is the Toyota 75W140 what you consider OEM? Please tell us. What chassis grease do you recommend then if not M1 Synthetic? It would be more helpful to everyone here if you tell us the correct stuff to use, rather than that we are just plain wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
7.pdf (19.4 KB, 713 views)
Old 11-11-09, 03:16 AM
mann777

Lithium is the base material in the grease, moly is an additive in the grease, and synthetic tells about the type of oil held in the base.The base is the thickener. Lithium or lithium complex is probably the most popular grease base material. The base is something like a sponge. It holds oil in its pores, and the oil does the lubricating. The oil can be conventional or synthetic. Molybdenum disulfide is a dark gray powder that is very hard and very slippery. It is one possible additive to grease, and moly is excellent for slow moving, heavily loaded points.
Now regards my comments on "OEM" use was I was specifying about the oil. The Grease is obvious Toyota Does not manufacture. Even the dealer use known brands as per the specific standards required for the parts.
Now coming to your Mobil Stuff, I hope now i have enlightened you the difference in greases And what you have used is Fully Synthetic with lithium soap base and not moly based. The website clearly says this" Quote It is particularly suited for applications such as disc brake wheel bearings and ball and steering joints. Unquote. It does not says anywhere its use is for the differential gear shafts. So that is why i said you got the wrong one. Now If you are happy with it. I will reserve my comments. The type to be used was given by Sewell. At this moment I do not have any document, Will do so as I get one.

Last edited by mann777; 11-11-09 at 03:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Just replace differential and transfer case oil