GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 02:09 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
It almost makes me sick to look at those pictures.

If this happens to my GX, and Lexus won't do anything about it, that will be the end of Lexus ownership for me.
+1, breaks my heart to look at the photos. One of my Rx's had a 2" crack, it's now repaired, independent shop did the repair, a very good job. Car was out of warranty
Old 11-11-09, 09:00 AM
coyland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked dash

Another ONE! Cracked dash board. Called the corporate office, after the service center told us that it wasn't covered under warranty. They were very helpful. They offered to pay for the part but we would have to pay the $500 in labor. After reading the web on how common this problem is, my husband called back corporate, and they will not budge. My GX-470 has 58,000 miles on it. No other problems, but disappointed with this one.
Old 11-11-09, 09:17 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are covered under Platinium Warranty then the part cost which is 1100/- is taken car by the dealer and the labour charge is what is charged that is 480/- $.
I was out of the Plats warranty, picked up the part from a Vendor in Singapore for the whole thing for 410/-$ and did the refit myself, only it took a long time for the dismantling. If you have the tools, it is very easy to have it done in your garage.
Old 11-19-09, 05:08 AM
jbwineman
Driver School Candidate

I have an '03 GX470 with a cracked dash. My car is garage kept and 42K miles. I purchased an extended warranty from the Lexus dealer and of course it is not covered. I contacted Lexus corporate; they offered to pay 50% of the repair. JM Lexus in Margate, FL wants to charge me $1400 and split it. Corp is firm and JM won’t budge. This is clearly a manufacturing defect or poor raw materials. Lexus corporate was polite but will not pick up the full cost. Clearly JM is overcharging me after reading the posts.

Has anyone contacted a lawyer for a class action suit? The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.

Last edited by jbwineman; 11-19-09 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Legal Rights
Old 11-19-09, 03:43 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

You can read my earlier posts. I believe the best message to Lexus is to change brands. Your marketplace choices speak louder than anything else. This is clearly a factory defect.
Old 12-16-09, 05:45 PM
sc300seeya
Driver School Candidate

Angry I decided to boycott Lexus and told every family member and friends

[QUOTE=sc300seeya;5079685]I have a 2004 RX330 CPO and have the same problem. It started as a hair line crack earlier this year and now i have two huge holes (see picture). I immediately took it to the dealer when I saw it and they took pictures. The service guy called the 1-800 customer care number and they offered to paid 1/2 of the total repair ($1800). I told them that it wasn't fair since I currently own a 95 SC300 with 209,000 miles and owned several others (96 LS400 and 03 IS300) and didn't experienced this problem. We also wrote to Lexus Corporate but it didn't change anything. My wife and I have been loyal Lexus owners since 1996 and we felt betrayed. I cannot afford to trade the vehicle at this time but can't wait to get rid of it next year :-)

Funny enough I was negotiating a beautiful IS-F for my 40th birthday, and told the sales person the situation and he was very surprised but wasn't able to do anything (according to him). I decided to boycott Lexus and told every family member and friends (still spreading the word). A week later I purchased a beautiful BMW M5 and drove it to the Lexus dealer just to show them their big mistake. Besides my purchase of the M5, I personally know that I cause them the lost of 6 big sales from family and friends which purchased either Mercedes and BMWs instead. Thank you for sharing my frustration:-)[IMG]
Attached Thumbnails cracked dashboard?-rx330.jpg  
Old 12-16-09, 05:52 PM
sc300seeya
Driver School Candidate

Default I decided to boycott Lexus and told every family member and friends (6 lost sales)

I have a 2004 RX330 CPO and have the same problem. It started as a hair line crack earlier this year and now i have two huge holes (see picture). I immediately took it to the dealer when I saw it and they took pictures. The service guy called the 1-800 customer care number and they offered to paid 1/2 of the total repair ($1800). I told them that it wasn't fair since I currently own a 95 SC300 with 209,000 miles and owned several others (96 LS400 and 03 IS300) and didn't experienced this problem. We also wrote to Lexus Corporate but it didn't change anything. My wife and I have been loyal Lexus owners since 1996 and we felt betrayed. I cannot afford to trade the vehicle at this time but can't wait to get rid of it next year :-)

Funny enough I was negotiating a beautiful IS-F for my 40th birthday, and told the sales person the situation and he was very surprised but wasn't able to do anything (according to him). I decided to boycott Lexus and told every family member and friends (still spreading the word). A week later I purchased a beautiful BMW M5 and drove it to the Lexus dealer just to show them their big mistake. Besides my purchase of the M5, I personally know that I cause them the lost of 6 big sales from family and friends which purchased either Mercedes and BMWs instead. Thank you for sharing my frustration:-)
Attached Thumbnails cracked dashboard?-rx330.jpg  
Old 12-23-09, 05:38 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

Say adios! Switch BRANDS! The consumer is in control here. If these goobers don't get it then it is time for a change. Vote with your pocketbook.
Old 12-25-09, 05:48 PM
sc300seeya
Driver School Candidate

All ready done my friend !!! Thank you and Happy holidays :-)
Old 12-27-09, 02:38 PM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

I am noticing even more cracks now, including around the ignition switch. I'm pissed with plenty of time on my hands. Whoever the rep is for southeast Florida (JM Lexus and Pembroke Pines) needs to be outed.
Old 12-27-09, 02:39 PM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300seeya
I have a 2004 RX330 CPO and have the same problem. It started as a hair line crack earlier this year and now i have two huge holes (see picture). I immediately took it to the dealer when I saw it and they took pictures. The service guy called the 1-800 customer care number and they offered to paid 1/2 of the total repair ($1800). I told them that it wasn't fair since I currently own a 95 SC300 with 209,000 miles and owned several others (96 LS400 and 03 IS300) and didn't experienced this problem. We also wrote to Lexus Corporate but it didn't change anything. My wife and I have been loyal Lexus owners since 1996 and we felt betrayed. I cannot afford to trade the vehicle at this time but can't wait to get rid of it next year :-)

Funny enough I was negotiating a beautiful IS-F for my 40th birthday, and told the sales person the situation and he was very surprised but wasn't able to do anything (according to him). I decided to boycott Lexus and told every family member and friends (still spreading the word). A week later I purchased a beautiful BMW M5 and drove it to the Lexus dealer just to show them their big mistake. Besides my purchase of the M5, I personally know that I cause them the lost of 6 big sales from family and friends which purchased either Mercedes and BMWs instead. Thank you for sharing my frustration:-)
Those pics are horrifying.
Old 02-05-10, 08:04 AM
jheath
Driver School Candidate

Angry Mine too!

I have been following this thread for months now. Our GX developed the same crack at around 92,000 and we contacted Headquarters and told them about it. They said they would call us back which they did several days later. They said they would have the local dealership in Charlotte NC where we purchased from call us.

Several days later they called and said they wanted the Regional guy to look at it but he woudln't be in our area for awhile that they would let us know and we could bring it to Charlotte (2 hours) to check it out. Well several months later they called and I took it to dealer. Car had just gone over 100K by then. They looked at it and said they had not EVER SEEN THIS HAPPEN. I then showed them several pics from other cars doing the same thing. They clammed up and said they would get back to us.

There repsonse, since it was over 100K now that all they could do would be to pay for 1/2 the dash leaving me with a $1200.00 bill. I've had enough of these clowns! They caused it to be out of warranty by dragging this thing out for months! I declined their offer which they said was a "take it or leave it".

I am really contemplating starting a class action as it is obviously a bigger issue than they are admitting and their offers to customers are all over the board.

Anyone here interested in helping out whether you had yours fixed or not. It's the principle of this whole thing now!
Old 02-05-10, 03:18 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jheath
I am really contemplating starting a class action as it is obviously a bigger issue than they are admitting and their offers to customers are all over the board.
One thing would be nice to find out, if a certain year range is suffering this problem. I've read somewhere that Lexus has changed their supplier of the dashboards at some point due to quality and material issues. If that's the case than that means that Lexus knew about the dash issues and they took the steps to address it, but they decided to leave all the old customers to fend off for themselves, as it would be very costly to issue a recall (think pedal stuck under floor mat - yeah right).
Old 02-06-10, 11:08 AM
burl
Driver School Candidate

Even though we traded the GX for a new Mercedes Benz, it is still the principle of the thing. They were jerks to me so I for one would be on board.
Old 02-09-10, 07:16 AM
DJW7
Driver School Candidate

Default GX dash cracked

I too had this problem develop in a very short period of time. My 04 GX had 89,000 miles and is garage kept. I called my local Lexus dealer and spoke to my Service advisor. I was told to bring it in for an inspection. After 1 day, received a callback advising Lexus would buy 1/2 the part cost and my cost would be labor and the other half of the part. I asked the advisor to try again and after a few days, Lexus agreed to buy the part and I buy the labor. All the while I'm driving a loaner car. I agreed and the next day the job was done. It was about a $1500 repair and I paid $400. I feel I was treated fairly by the Dealership and Lexus. I had similar problems years back with a Mercedes and received no help from the factory.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif

Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?