GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

cracked dashboard?

Old 01-03-15, 06:02 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mmuzevich
Lexus has a big problem with several of their models with the dash boards cracking. I have a 2008 Lexus RX350. The dash cracked in about ten different places and new cracks were appearing every week. Contacted Lexus to no avail. They could care less. Lexus dealer in Sarasota Fl. wanted over $1400. for the dash alone plus labor to install. I found a new one on car-parts.com and installed it myself. Only out $700.00 for a problem that shouldn't be ours, but Lexus's. They are choosing to ignore the problem and hope it goes away. The only thing going away will be its customers. Not happy with Lexus at all.
Did you not read the last few posts in the same thread that you just posted in? Lexus is acknowledging the problem with the dashes in various models, yours included, and is replacing them free of charge. There is another thread that specifically address this with physical evidence from Lexus. You should be eligible for a free dash replacement...call your dealer again!
Old 01-05-15, 07:27 AM
Predicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470 cracking dashboard

Wilde Lexus of Sarasota replaced my dash for around $740 which is around the retail cost of the replacement dash. So since they paid less than half that price for the material, the amount I paid would be the normal cost before they add their 2000% rip off fee. So they didn't lose any money, they just didn't get to rip me off as per their usual profit margin.
Old 01-05-15, 09:15 AM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by Predicon
Wilde Lexus of Sarasota replaced my dash for around $740 which is around the retail cost of the replacement dash. So since they paid less than half that price for the material, the amount I paid would be the normal cost before they add their 2000% rip off fee. So they didn't lose any money, they just didn't get to rip me off as per their usual profit margin.
From my understanding, Lexus will be reimbursing owners who have paid for these repairs.
Old 01-07-15, 06:41 PM
Lmore
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus replaced my dash at no charge to me.

I have a 2005 RX330. Mailed a letter to customer satisfaction, got their address from a recent recall notice for water in headlights. They called me within a few days. I explained about the cracks, the woman asked me what I was wanting Lexus to do for me. Told her I wanted them to replace the dash. Spoke with her a few days later and was told they would replace it at no charge to me. Took about a month to get the part in. Just drove it home from the local Lexus dealership with my new dash!
Old 01-18-15, 03:27 AM
reysantos
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Cracked Dashboard

My next door neighbor just received an "warranty enhancement notification" letter similar to the one attached. I was a letter from LEXUS indicating that Lexus will extend manufacturer's warranties and repair cracked dashboards of a number of Lexus models. I complained to my Lexus dealer for years about the cracked dashboard but they said they could do nothing about it and that I would have to pay thousands of dollars to replace it myself. Now, years later, and after the original warranty expired, LEXUS wants to let us know that customer service is their #1 priority!
Attached Thumbnails cracked dashboard?-lexus-cracked-dashboard-warranty-notification.jpg  
Old 04-08-16, 08:22 AM
csikevin
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked dash

My daughter bought a used 2009 Lexus RX350 18 months ago from CarMax. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle she received a recall notice from Lexus that dash board needs to be replaced due to cracking. She took her car to the local Lexus dealer in Tampa last July and was told that dash boards were backordered and they would notify her when her replacement arrived. Within weeks cracks started to appear in her dash. Foam started popping thru the dash. My daughter is in sales and frequently transports clients. Her clients are senior executives at major corporations. They all commented negatively about the dash board. She has heard that she should have bought a (substitute Audi to VW) as she has heard them all. Her luxury car has become the running joke within her office. She has just been transferred to Houston and isn't taking the car with her as she would have to go the the Local Houston dealer and start the waiting process all over again re registering for the replacement dash board. She just sold her car back to CarMax for 60% less than she paid for it($15,000 loss) as they were the only buyer for the car with the volcanic dash.Lexus customer service has been unresponsive responding that the dashes have been slow to ship from Japan and that their hands are tied. Are we really supposed to believe that it takes more than ten months for a dash to ship from Japan? I believe that Lexus isn't taking this recall seriously as they know that the longer they put off replacing the dash boards the less the recall will cost them as cars will be totaled or sold and some owners will simply give up. I have owned 14 Toyota cars and 7 Lexus cars as I am in sales and trade cars at least every two years. I pointed this out to Lexus but they did not care. They point a finger at the dealers and the dealers point a finger at Lexus. The reality is that they are both giving owners the middle finger
Old 04-08-16, 11:59 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

It took 6 months for me to get a replacement, and Lexus made a whole lot more RXs than GXs. So no surprise that it's taking longer to fill the supply pipeline with RX dashes.

Did she go by the dealer and ask where she was on the list? Did she look into buying a dashmat to cover it up until the replacement arrived? That would have been a whole lot cheaper than taking a $15k loss.

Chip H.
Old 04-11-16, 08:47 AM
netmana
Driver School Candidate

I have not received any letters from lexus about the dash board fix, what should I do? should I just wait, call dealer, or call lexus? thanks
Old 04-11-16, 09:26 AM
kwylde
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracked dashboard

We had the same problem with a 2005 RX330. Dashboard cracked and Lexus would not do anything. Finally they agreed to pay half of the repair. Now I find out they want to replace them for free which means to me that the defective dash boards are finally starting to hurt their business.

I hope this poor approach to customer service cost them a bundle.
Old 04-11-16, 11:00 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by netmana
I have not received any letters from lexus about the dash board fix, what should I do? should I just wait, call dealer, or call lexus? thanks
Stop by your dealer. If your dash is sticky, or has cracks, they will take photos and send them off to corporate for approval. If you get approved, you'll then be placed on your dealer's replacement list.

Note that this is an extension of the warranty just for this part. It is not a recall.

Chip H.
Old 04-11-16, 11:01 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kwylde
We had the same problem with a 2005 RX330. Dashboard cracked and Lexus would not do anything. Finally they agreed to pay half of the repair. Now I find out they want to replace them for free which means to me that the defective dash boards are finally starting to hurt their business.

I hope this poor approach to customer service cost them a bundle.
This scenario is detailed in the letter. If you still have your original receipt, Lexus will reimburse you. Talk to your dealer.

Chip H.
Old 04-18-16, 05:36 AM
Predicon
Driver School Candidate

This is an update. Originally I paid to have my dash replaced at the dealer. Then I saw the letter that Reysantos posted. So I called Lexus USA and they told me to send them a copy of my receipt and after about 6 weeks I received a check for $760. It will take longer to go and deal with the dealership, but they will probably get the same results. I would just like to know how long these replacement dash covers will last.
Old 04-18-16, 06:59 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
Stop by your dealer. If your dash is sticky, or has cracks, they will take photos and send them off to corporate for approval. If you get approved, you'll then be placed on your dealer's replacement list.

Note that this is an extension of the warranty just for this part. It is not a recall.

Chip H.
Lexus of Birmingham isn't making anyone come in - I simply called with my vin number and got added to the list. 6 month wait for my gx, longer for my wife's rx
Old 04-18-16, 10:30 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cdew002
Lexus of Birmingham isn't making anyone come in - I simply called with my vin number and got added to the list. 6 month wait for my gx, longer for my wife's rx
The same with Lexus of Mobile and Lexus of New Orleans.

Certain regions have certain procedures on how they're handling. Some want you in to take pics and get evaluated before adding to the list while others just add you once you call or come in with no need to take pics or evaluate the cracking.

Still impatiently awaiting my replacement.
Old 04-19-16, 05:36 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I m got my new dash installed in a 6 week time frame for my IS350. I went in for an oil change and brought it to their attention and they ordered it there on the spot. Dropped her off for state inspection and got the dash installed all at once. And got to drive a 2016 RX as a loaner. Cool little vehicle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cracked dashboard?