GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear suspension issue - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 10:40 AM
AVnGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension issue - need advice

Hello all,... this is my first post here, but an avid reader for years.
Background - 2006 GX, bought new, now has 84,000 miles and flawless operation ,.. only 2 turn signal bulbs.
Now my issue:
The rear suspension seems to bottom out / hits hard on typical bumps here in Michigan. I know it did not ride this harsh when new,.. or up to last year.
I have searched the forums for all suspension discussions, and don't seem to have the typical sensor height or shock function problem . I say this because the vehicle does raise & lower with the height adjust button. It also sits statically even right to left. It also has the same ride height as usual, & tire pressures correct.

Has anyone had a similar harsh ride complaint that you could share your experience with?

Or is my initial diagnosis / assumptions wrong?
Thanks!

PS- here is a pic of the ride with the dubs. And yes, it rides harsher with these, but right now I am running the factory tires/wheels for winter.
Attached Thumbnails Rear suspension issue - need advice-lexus-rims-003.jpg  
Old 03-25-09, 02:54 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

it is definitely the sensors which needs replacement. The GX470 on the rear LH/RH have got a sensor which are called as Right and Left Rear Height Control Sensor along with a circuit. They are interlinked to the Suspension Control ECU. Normally over a period of time the sensor require replacement, as this component functionality is to adjust height as per the drive conditions, For any reason if sensors blows out for whatever reasons, the ride condition completely alters. You need to take to the dealer to sort this. One probability is they could some sort of reset on the suspension done, as one of the members earlier quoted, and he has no problems whatsoever. Let us know your outcome.
Old 03-25-09, 04:38 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine started doing that about a year ago and the dealer replaced one of the rear sensors and adjusted it. It has been fine since then. It was very noticeable when going over speed bumps, the back end would bottom out.
Old 03-31-09, 06:44 PM
pjarvis
Rookie

How much was the repair?
Old 04-01-09, 04:55 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pjarvis
How much was the repair?
Sorry, I do not remember. It was covered under warranty so I did not pay too much attention.
Old 04-01-09, 09:13 AM
AVnGX
Driver School Candidate

I am taking mine in next week... and it will be out of pocket cost. I will update after the repair.
Old 04-02-09, 07:11 PM
pjarvis
Rookie

That tip on exercising the system seems to have helped on speed bumps.It seems to look a little settled in the rear.
Old 04-15-09, 09:28 AM
AVnGX
Driver School Candidate

Update:
Dealer had the vehicle for two days, and were real nice about trying to find something wrong, but there wasn't anything. They agreed the load leveling system was working fine, sensors did not need adjusting, shocks were fine and not worn out. So I am stumped as I thought it rode better before.
Old 04-15-09, 11:29 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AVnGX
Update:
Dealer had the vehicle for two days, and were real nice about trying to find something wrong, but there wasn't anything. They agreed the load leveling system was working fine, sensors did not need adjusting, shocks were fine and not worn out. So I am stumped as I thought it rode better before.
Exactly what happened with mine a while back. I'm still trying to figure out if it's in my head or not. Some days I think it's fine, some days I'm convinced there's something wrong.
Old 04-15-09, 08:48 PM
pjarvis
Rookie

Default In my head.

I know exactly how you feel.
Old 04-16-09, 08:48 AM
mwbuck
Driver

Originally Posted by rainmn
Exactly what happened with mine a while back. I'm still trying to figure out if it's in my head or not. Some days I think it's fine, some days I'm convinced there's something wrong.
I'm in the same boat as you guys with my '05. Had a Rear Height sensor replaced last summer, had the other one replaced this Feb, took it back in March because it still wasn't fixed and they found "a bent bracket" so they replaced that and said the car was "back to 100%." Still wasn't fixed so I took it in yesterday and they said they couldn't find anything nor replicate the problem. How convenient, the warranty expired exactly two weeks ago.

The car is leaning with the driver's side lower than the passenger side. The dealer confirmed this but said that it is only leaning 0.3 degrees and that is within their margin of error and that "no car is perfect." AWESOME - that's a great attitude. I'll keep telling that to myself when I send in my car payment every month.

I know it used to ride better and this isn't just in my head. I hit a bump on the highway the other day doing 65mph and it honestly threw my *** 1" above the seat. I was literally in mid-air for a split second. I don't know what to do next.

Last edited by mwbuck; 04-16-09 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 09:01 AM
mann777

Ok here is what you can do or check, The rear suspensions need to be checked the following.
1. Suspension Fluid Pressure.. This can be done with a hand held tester . The value of fluid pressure charge should be around 2.6 to 3.0 MPa at 20 Degree Temp( 68F) . or 2.9 to 3.4 MPa at 35 Degree(95F) Fluid temprature.
2. if the level is low, you need to add suspension fluid and bleed the air out of the fluid.
3. You will see the vehicle will re-align itself on start.

Finally if all of the above is ok, then you need to replace the stabilizer control w/bracket valve assy. When you change you have to change both ( Left & Right Rear side bracket assy) the cost of these bracket are around 200-350/- for the pair. But these price are old, I do not know now. Check it out. cheers
Old 04-16-09, 09:05 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people have had this problem and I am not sure if there is really an answer. I have been complaining to my service manager ever since I bought the car with 19k miles on it and so far they have not found anything wrong. I know it's an issue because most people on this board have had issues with "bottoming" or "harsh ride"...search the forums and you will see evidence that there IS an issue. Maybe there are not enough people complaining to thier service advisors to get this looked at and have Toyota step up and issue a TSIB. I wish we could truly isolate the problem so that we could all go in and start saying the same thing when we get our cars serviced. Maybe if they hear it enough something will happe.

In the mean time there is a short term "fix". If you feel the ride is bottoming, the next time you pull up to a light, simply press the ride height selector to put the car in the highest position and let the suspension fill up. Then, if there is time, push the button to get it into the "normal" position (if the light turns green you can simply drive off and the car will lower itself after you exceed 25mph). What this does is effectively "set" the car higher in it's ride and you will notice a much smoother ride. The only problem I find with this is that is only lasts a day or so and then you have to do it again.

There has to be a better way, but until then...
Old 04-16-09, 09:07 AM
mwbuck
Driver

Originally Posted by cmarshack
In the mean time there is a short term "fix". If you feel the ride is bottoming, the next time you pull up to a light, simply press the ride height selector to put the car in the highest position and let the suspension fill up. Then, if there is time, push the button to get it into the "normal" position (if the light turns green you can simply drive off and the car will lower itself after you exceed 25mph). What this does is effectively "set" the car higher in it's ride and you will notice a much smoother ride. The only problem I find with this is that is only lasts a day or so and then you have to do it again.

There has to be a better way, but until then...
I've been doing this for a year and it does work, its just annoying.
Old 04-16-09, 09:07 AM
mann777

Sorry I have missed on the earlier, these are the suspected areas you need to look to.
1. Accumulator solenoid Valve circuit.
2. System Fluid Pressure.
3. Charge Fluid and bleed the air.
4. Replace the stabilizer control w/bracket valve assy.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension issue - need advice