GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-12-14, 04:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

GX470 Bouncy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 07:35 PM
SANSAR41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Lexus GX bumpy ride, rough ride problem

I have solved the bouncy ride problem on my gx470. TAKE THE RUBBER BLOCKS OFF between rear axle and body. Only 2 bolts you need to remove,takes 5 minutes. And put your suspension switch to comfort position. Enjoy your ride,

Reason: There is no space for suspensions to go up and down to avoid bumps. When you take the rubber pieces off you get more space and it dosent effect driving on highway or off road.Hope it helps
Old 11-30-15, 07:52 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SANSAR41
I have solved the bouncy ride problem on my gx470. TAKE THE RUBBER BLOCKS OFF between rear axle and body. Only 2 bolts you need to remove,takes 5 minutes. And put your suspension switch to comfort position. Enjoy your ride,

Reason: There is no space for suspensions to go up and down to avoid bumps. When you take the rubber pieces off you get more space and it dosent effect driving on highway or off road.Hope it helps
what is the purpose of the rubber blocks?
Old 12-01-15, 06:25 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Those are the bump stops. Without them, if you hit a deep enough pothole/bump, you'll get a metal-on-metal hit on the suspension parts. IMO, this is bad advice. They need to investigate if there's a different suspension problem and/or change their driving habits.

It's P/N 48036 and 48306A in this diagram:

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19100

Chip H.

Last edited by chiph9; 12-01-15 at 06:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ebbs15 (11-10-19)
Old 12-02-15, 03:11 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

That's a bad move especially if any of the ride control components crap out on you, height sensors, solenoid reservoir or air bags, you could have a disaster on your hands. If you are riding on the jounce stops you probably have a problem with one of those already.
Old 12-03-15, 09:03 AM
NR04
Rookie

+3!
If you're hitting the bump stops, there is something wrong with your springs (air bags not retaining proper PSI). If you remove the bump stops, you increase the chance of having your axles crash into your frame, or spring popping out during one wheel articulation. You need to figure out why you're riding so close to them and not remove them.
Old 12-03-15, 10:47 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+4!!
No touchy those bump stops!!!! I had them rust off of a Cherokee I had a few years ago, frame met axle while flexing, not fun.
Old 12-03-15, 07:08 PM
mojo08m
Driver School Candidate

Sounds to me like this is a classic leaky air spring. Real common and no need to overthink this one..........
Old 12-06-17, 01:51 PM
hochiminh
Driver School Candidate

Hoping I'll have some luck reviving a dead thread. I'm having slight issues where the truck drives like glass some days and pitches laterally over small road deformities quite a bit the next. It feels like the shock is completely gone and any bump takes forever to dampen. I tried the "exercise" mentioned in the first few posts (bag to low, then high, then back to normal) which seemed to help. My truck is also leaned to the left about a half inch or so (measured from rear fender to wheel). All signs point towards the rear height sensor.

Is there any information on rear height sensor adjustment or DIY calibration?

I'd like to try fiddling with it before plunking money down.
Old 12-06-17, 06:07 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Sounds like the air bag leak...more likely an sensors.
Old 04-07-19, 02:23 PM
ssiskremax
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks The G Man

I experienced this leaving mountains today. Stopped and did as you suggested. Rides perfect.
Thank you!!

Originally Posted by The G Man
Stop the truck, put the rear height adjustment to low, wait till the light stop blinking. Switch to high, wait for the light to stop blinking, then switch back to auto. If this smooth out the ride temporarily, then your rear height sensor needs to be recalibrated or replace.

Good Luck
Old 04-09-19, 03:49 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts

YIKES ... VERY BAD ADVICE ! # ! # !# !# ! Delete this post before someone reads and does the same without reading other posts that explain why this is BAD ADVICE.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
IanB2 (04-24-19), MrJason (06-03-19)
Old 04-09-19, 03:54 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

This is where you find out your older,(new to you) GX470 has already had the rear air springs replaced with some cheap aftermarket Chinese springs that were bought on amazon. Lol
Old 04-09-19, 04:01 PM
sxs191
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem. Look at your ride height sensors underneath near the back tires. One of the brackets snapped on mine causing to bounce very bad. Search for the thread; ride height sensor for the fix.
Old 04-10-19, 04:43 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I had the same problem. "Exercising the air springs" like someone suggested would be a temp fix but the bouncy would come back. I replaced the air springs (medium difficulty job due to location of the air lines and bag clip) and all is good now and feels great.
Old 04-10-19, 07:13 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a timely thread... I searched and I think this is the thread you mention, but honestly there’s no real resolution.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...or-ride-6.html

maybe some one could post a thread with a methodical resolution?

Quick Reply: GX470 Bouncy Ride