GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 05:13 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, you can turn the key to start while driving. In any other car this will cause a lot of grinding noise, not in GX. The only thing that will happen, it will reset all the electronics (radio, video, bt), especially bluetooth. Very helpful if your bt gets disconnected.
Old 10-01-09, 08:56 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Also, you can turn the key to start while driving. In any other car this will cause a lot of grinding noise, not in GX. The only thing that will happen, it will reset all the electronics (radio, video, bt), especially bluetooth. Very helpful if your bt gets disconnected.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-01-09, 03:14 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Awesome trick - thanks!

Turby
Old 10-02-09, 12:14 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by gsobol
Also, you can turn the key to start while driving. In any other car this will cause a lot of grinding noise, not in GX. The only thing that will happen, it will reset all the electronics (radio, video, bt), especially bluetooth. Very helpful if your bt gets disconnected"

Just curious, why would somebody do that : "turn key to start" while driving And reset the electronics.

I am not sure what is the positive results of the this feature innovated while resetting the electronics
Old 10-02-09, 10:57 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
Just curious, why would somebody do that : "turn key to start" while driving And reset the electronics.

I am not sure what is the positive results of the this feature innovated while resetting the electronics
If you use bluetooth in your GX, occasionally your phone may get disconnected from your car (I'm talking BT connection). There is no way to reestablish the BT connection unless you turn the car off. So for as long as you continue to drive (after you loose BT connection), you have to answer your phone the old fashioned way - NO BT (and risk getting a ticket, at least here in NY). So, that's where the advantage comes in, when you can reset your electronics and BT, and reestablish connection to your phone without stopping and shutting your engine off. Hope that clears it up.
Old 10-05-09, 10:50 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, well I will feel foolish if everyone knew about this and I didn't until yesterday but here is goes....If you knew then just chalk it up to me being blonde....LOL

If you hold your unlock button on the key for a couple of seconds this will lower all your windows and open up the moon roof. I only had the truck for 3 years and never did I know this. I thought the only way to do this was to use the key on the drivers side door.
Old 10-06-09, 09:12 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JASP615
OK, well I will feel foolish if everyone knew about this and I didn't until yesterday but here is goes....If you knew then just chalk it up to me being blonde....LOL

If you hold your unlock button on the key for a couple of seconds this will lower all your windows and open up the moon roof. I only had the truck for 3 years and never did I know this. I thought the only way to do this was to use the key on the drivers side door.
Yes, that's a good one... especially useful on a hot summer day.
Old 10-06-09, 12:48 PM
Rammer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this is spelled out in the Owner's Manual (I don't have it readily available or I'd look it up), but I'll throw it out here anyways. I found that if you unlock the car from a distance, like inside your house, and hear the double beep indicating that the GX is now unlocked, you have to open the door within a certain amount of time before it automatically locks again. I'll have to read about it and see if the specifics are in the Owner's Manual. It seems like a feature for accidentally hitting unlock and then walking away from your car, leaving it vulnerable.
Old 10-06-09, 06:49 PM
VictorGX
Driver School Candidate

I know this feature has been discussed in other threads, but there is a "2nd Start" button on the dash to the lower right of the steering column. Pressing it will make the GX start in 2nd gear. This feature may be useful in snowy/icy conditions when the tires are spinning in 1st gear.
Old 10-12-09, 02:52 PM
pump142
Driver

I was parking the GX and the wife had her window down.
She pulled the button to do a auto close like usual.
Without thinking I shut the truck off and began getting out when I realized the window was finishing its close with the GX off and the key out.
Old 10-12-09, 09:01 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rainmn
Just tap the key to the start position and the truck will auto start. You don't need to hold the key in the start position until the engine starts.

It's a cool feature, but I find myself trying to do this in my Jeep Wrangler. Needless to say, the Jeep doesn't have this feature.
+1, do not believe this feature was present on my former 94 ES300.
Old 10-13-09, 12:12 PM
pickle
Rookie

I think the time is about 30 seconds of power after you shut off the key to roll up all the windows. If you open ANY of the doors, this overrides the control, and the windows stop. annoying when I am trying to roll up the windows, and the wife instinctively just opens the door! Then I have to reinsert the key, and turn it to accessory to finish rolling them all up!
Old 10-18-09, 08:32 PM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

The wind deflector when the sunroof opens automatically rises and lowers when driving. It moves down when you reach a speed of about 55-60 MPH, to quiet the whistling noise. It also returns to the higher position when slowed down to a speed of around 50 MPH or less.
Old 10-19-09, 03:42 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Exactly it is also in the brochure, Quote "Power tilt/slide moonroof - With one touch open/close feature, jam protection and speed-sensing wind deflector.
Thks Slvrpine. Guess many of us did not know this.
Old 10-19-09, 09:30 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I can think of is door stopper. If you open rear barn you can put stopper so it wont close.

Quick Reply: GX470 Secrets