GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cargo Cover

Old 12-01-08, 06:51 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo Cover

Hello - First thread. This is a great forum btw and have gotten lots of good info, finally decided to join ...
I was looking through my manual and noticed an option for a cargo cover ('05) which I called my dealer about and is a $900 piece of equipment. Amazing how much cargo covers cost, every SUV I have owned costs about the same...they must make a killing on those things.
Anyway just wondered if anyone has one, I have yet to see a GX with a cargo cover (yes I've peeked into a few)...and if extra parts are added by the dealer. Cannot fit like in the manual without extra parts. Or if anyone has found an option (other than throwing a balnket over the trunk, i know that one). Thanks.
Old 12-01-08, 09:25 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jolex
Hello - First thread. This is a great forum btw and have gotten lots of good info, finally decided to join ...
I was looking through my manual and noticed an option for a cargo cover ('05) which I called my dealer about and is a $900 piece of equipment. Amazing how much cargo covers cost, every SUV I have owned costs about the same...they must make a killing on those things.
Anyway just wondered if anyone has one, I have yet to see a GX with a cargo cover (yes I've peeked into a few)...and if extra parts are added by the dealer. Cannot fit like in the manual without extra parts. Or if anyone has found an option (other than throwing a balnket over the trunk, i know that one). Thanks.
I had a dark tint applied to all the rear windows in addition to a medium tint on the driver's and front passenger glass. Even in daylight, it's just about impossible to see anything below what a cargo cover would hide.
Old 12-01-08, 01:37 PM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Good idea

Thanks gs400jon that's actually a practical and cheaper solution!!
Old 12-01-08, 10:24 PM
Bob GX
Driver

If I remember correctly (I bought my GX in 2004) the cargo cover was an option only if the 3rd row seat is not included - it was an either-or situation. Every GX I have seen at the local dealer had the 3rd row seat option, so none with cargo covers.

My car has the 3rd row seats and they are almost always in the 'up' position - which effectively covers the rear side windows (whether those are tinted or not) - so things stored in the back are not very visible from the front or side - maybe just look at tinting the back window? And if the 3rd row seats are set up for use, there's only a very little room behind them to store anything anyway.

If you end up getting the cargo cover, please post some pics that show how it is mounted. I think most people don't use those 3rd row seats very much (if at all) and would find the cover to be more useful.
Old 12-02-08, 11:47 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

bob - you're right the 3rd row will conceal much of the trunk area from the sides. however, 95% of the time i take the 3rd row out. mostly since it weighs like 60 pounds total and w/o it being there i get better visibility changing lanes etc. i was curious if the newer 4runner cargo covers may fit the gx, there might be more of those around we can pick up off a wrecked one. i'm pretty sure they won;t fit though. oh well - it's not a real issue anyway, just a slight annoyance.