GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Battery Tie-down advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 10:51 AM
philly777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tie-down advice

Hello,

Anyone please help me with the pics and advice on how to tie-down the battery with an original clamp and J bolts (they weren't there when I bought the car just the battery sitting on a tray). I can't figure out how the J bolts hook attach to the tray? Please advice ....
Old 12-02-08, 11:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a couple of holes in the tray where the J bolt goes into.
Old 12-02-08, 11:42 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's pretty simple - in fact very "old school" or boat like tie downs...

Anyhow, you need the cross bar and 2 J-type hold down bolts like this:

One J bolt is shorter than the other (one closest to passenger compartment is shorter IIRC ~ 1-2").

The cross bar goes across the top of battery - between the + and - posts running parallel to the fenders. One J bolt goes thru the crossbar on the front and one thru the rear. There is a hooking point in front of and below the battery for front on, and a similar one on the backside. They are tough to see w/o a flashlight. Once hooked in, you just tight down the nut on the j-bolt to snug up the crossbar so the battery doesn't move. This isn't from the GX but you'll get the idea as it'll look like this when you're done:

Old 12-03-08, 05:26 AM
philly777
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for the responses!!!

My tray doesn't have any holes in it for the J-bolts

Can I place the battery and tie-down wihout the tray?

Or, maybe someone please suggest where can I buy te suitable tray ?
Dealership sells the tray for $50

Thanks!

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
It's pretty simple - in fact very "old school" or boat like tie downs...

Anyhow, you need the cross bar and 2 J-type hold down bolts like this:

One J bolt is shorter than the other (one closest to passenger compartment is shorter IIRC ~ 1-2").

The cross bar goes across the top of battery - between the + and - posts running parallel to the fenders. One J bolt goes thru the crossbar on the front and one thru the rear. There is a hooking point in front of and below the battery for front on, and a similar one on the backside. They are tough to see w/o a flashlight. Once hooked in, you just tight down the nut on the j-bolt to snug up the crossbar so the battery doesn't move. This isn't from the GX but you'll get the idea as it'll look like this when you're done:

Old 12-03-08, 05:52 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

The tray just sits on the "shelf" under the battery. If the holes were in the tray itself, it would do no good in holding it down

As I recall, the rear hooking point is not a loop, just a hole in metal wall behind the battery. The front hooking point is a loop (similar to the one I show above but for some reason I recall the tab being parallel with the front bumper.

I'll try and grab you a pic later today.

Old 12-03-08, 06:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am sorry philly, burgboxstr is right, the holes are not in the tray. Its in the chassis somewhere.
Old 12-03-08, 06:48 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Ok, dug around and found the pic I needed in another thread (the HID install - thanks to Tony). Anyhow, I had the loop and hole reversed. The front one is a hole in the metal to hook in to, the rear is a tab loop. Here's a picture w/ the battery tray out and each location is marked in green. As you can see, rear j-bolt is shorter. You should have all the info you need - just get the j-bolts and clamping bar at any AutoZone, Adavanced, Pep Boys or auto parts store. Go to it

(all the extra wires and red markings are from an aftermarket HID kit installation so don't be alarmed if you don't have them).

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 12-03-08 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-03-08, 08:31 AM
philly777
Driver School Candidate

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

I got it now, I was looking for the holes in a tray

Thank you!

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Ok, dug around and found the pic I needed in another thread (the HID install - thanks to Tony). Anyhow, I had the loop and hole reversed. The front one is a hole in the metal to hook in to, the rear is a tab loop. Here's a picture w/ the battery tray out and each location is marked in green. As you can see, rear j-bolt is shorter. You should have all the info you need - just get the j-bolts and clamping bar at any AutoZone, Adavanced, Pep Boys or auto parts store. Go to it

(all the extra wires and red markings are from an aftermarket HID kit installation so don't be alarmed if you don't have them).