GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Exhaust causing "clunk"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 09:14 PM
ubond007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust causing "clunk"?

I just took my 08 GX in for the "clunk" issue. After having it all day the SA said that its my aftermarket exhaust thats causing the issue because the control arm is hitting it. Does that sound legit to you guys? The reason I ask is I had the exhaust on for a while before the "clunk" appeared. I have a Magnaflow "dual" exhaust setup like others on the board.
Old 07-13-08, 11:10 PM
Rob Daman
Rookie

you could lower and raise your rear end and see if it hits.
Old 07-14-08, 06:23 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I could be mistaken here, but I thought I remember reading that the '08's came with the new and improved drive shaft and upper/lower control arms, which would rule that out as a cause. Try what "rcantu" suggested, otherwise take it to another lexus dealer.
Old 07-14-08, 06:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

It's possible. I do have done quite a bit of aftermarket exhaust work on my RX and have had no fewer than 3 times have clunking and figured I needed at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch separation, preferably 1/2 to not hit certain parts of the suspension or driveshaft.
Old 07-16-08, 10:21 AM
hkochat
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clunk Trouble with 08 GX470

Originally Posted by cssnms
I could be mistaken here, but I thought I remember reading that the '08's came with the new and improved drive shaft and upper/lower control arms, which would rule that out as a cause. Try what "rcantu" suggested, otherwise take it to another lexus dealer.
I was also under the same impression. But the reality seems to be different. My new GX470 has only 4,500 miles and today I have given it to the dealership for the 'Clunk Fix'. According to my SA, the so called improvement is not helping and they are going to replace the drive shaft along with upper and lower control arms. I am still puzzled with this TSB of Clunk Fix. According to the SA they never had to do this fix twice to any of the GX470. If replacing the drive shaft and control arm are the true remedy, why the assembly line could do it right to begin with? Am I missing something here?
Old 07-16-08, 10:41 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by hkochat
I was also under the same impression. But the reality seems to be different. My new GX470 has only 4,500 miles and today I have given it to the dealership for the 'Clunk Fix'. According to my SA, the so called improvement is not helping and they are going to replace the drive shaft along with upper and lower control arms. I am still puzzled with this TSB of Clunk Fix. According to the SA they never had to do this fix twice to any of the GX470. If replacing the drive shaft and control arm are the true remedy, why the assembly line could do it right to begin with? Am I missing something here?
In answer to your question I shall quote myself from page 36 of the infamous clunk thread:

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
That is bizarre. I can only assume that some bean counter at Toyota has doen some sort of cost - benefit analysis and they've decided it's cheaper to do nothing and just fix the ones that people complain about. Maybe they've got 10,000 driveshafts sitting in a warehouse they need to use up Plus even though all the GX owners on this site are well aware of the problem and have gotten or will get the TSB done, I'm guessing that probably less then one tenth of one percent of GX owners ever come here.
Old 07-16-08, 12:30 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus is doing the same accross their whole line up. Design problem have been identified and repaired on GS, GX, IS and ES, but were the new parts were never put into the production line. Lexus has gotten too big, they just dont care anymore.
Old 07-17-08, 08:21 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ubond007
I just took my 08 GX in for the "clunk" issue. After having it all day the SA said that its my aftermarket exhaust thats causing the issue because the control arm is hitting it. Does that sound legit to you guys? The reason I ask is I had the exhaust on for a while before the "clunk" appeared. I have a Magnaflow "dual" exhaust setup like others on the board.

Does it Clunk when you are driving around and hitting bumps, or just when you resume speed after coming to a stop? If it's the latter it's the infamous clunk...not your exhaust. Also, your exhaust should be burnt in by now (no longer shiney and new). Lift it up and see if there are any areas that show rubbing. If it's hitting it shoud be pretty obvious.

Where are you taking it? If you are in OC PM me and I will give you the name of an SA that won't give you a hard time.
Old 07-18-08, 08:57 AM
ubond007
Rookie

im confused. the dealer said it is hitting the control arm and rubbing on the spare tire. I took it back to my exhaust shop and they adjusted it to where there is clearance. the "clunk" is still there. when i am either slowing down or come to a complete stop it "jerks" as if i was just rear ended. it also does it worse when the ac is on.

cmarshack: I'm not in the OC, im in Sherman Oaks and took it to Keyes where I bought it.
Old 07-21-08, 03:51 PM
ubond007
Rookie

So I've been reading mixed posts on whether or not the 08 have the updated driveshaft parts. If not is the 08 included in the TSB?

Thanks
Old 07-21-08, 09:21 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cmarshack
Does it Clunk when you are driving around and hitting bumps, or just when you resume speed after coming to a stop? If it's the latter it's the infamous clunk...not your exhaust. Also, your exhaust should be burnt in by now (no longer shiney and new). Lift it up and see if there are any areas that show rubbing. If it's hitting it shoud be pretty obvious.

Where are you taking it? If you are in OC PM me and I will give you the name of an SA that won't give you a hard time.
Good advice, pretty easy to craw underneath and take a look for any component clunking. If it was the clearance then it should rear itself over bumps,etc and not coming to a stop or leaving a stop.
Old 07-22-08, 09:05 PM
ubond007
Rookie

Ya so its definitely NOT the exhaust! On my way home from work I stopped for traffic on the freeway and all of a sudden there were repetitive "clunks". When I started to go the rear felt heavy and there were more "clunks". After pulling over and walking to the rear I noticed it was sitting real low. So I raised then lowered then put the rear on "N". Everything seems to be working fine but I have an appointment with the dealer first thing tomorrow. Anything tips or issues I should know about in case they give me the run around?

Thanks
Old 07-23-08, 08:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ask your dealer to perform the clunk TSB and calibrate the rear height sensor.