GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

A/C problem, need some help and info

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 05:59 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C problem, need some help and info

Hello folks, well let me explain the problem. Earlier today when I went out I had my a/c on the whole day. I stopped to get some gas, and then when I got back on the road, the a/c started blowing hot air and the "AC" light on the screen under CLIMATE option started blinking. I turned it off and re-started the a/c by pressing "AUTO", and then a message popped up on the nav screen saying "Check air condition" and hot air continued to blow. So I turned on the rear a/c and the rear a/c worked fine, and then started the front a/c by hitting "AUTO" and then it worked fine. The front a/c worked for about 10 minutes and then went off again and started blowing warm air. This is super weird, i'm guessing a sensor or something went bad? The weird thing is, i went out and tried the a/c once the temp cooled off, the a/c worked fine. I just don't want to get stuck out there without an a/c when the weather gets hot. Anyone ever faced any similar problem? My truck is still under the 5 yrs / 100k warranty but can this problem be fixed under the warranty? Better yet, how the hell do I replicate this problem to the technician? I'm afraid the technicians will never find the problem since it's such a intermittent problem. Is a/c work covered under warranty? If the dealership doesn't want to cover this problem under the warranty i'd be so pissed that I might just trade this truck in for a BMW (free maintenance).
Old 05-04-08, 06:57 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's under warranty, but get the BMW, it seems you will be happier with it.
Old 05-04-08, 07:26 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
It's under warranty, but get the BMW, it seems you will be happier with it.
Thank you. I' gotta set up an appointment with the service dept. I'm really itching to purchase a 335 to get the fast sports car feeling. The only thing is I know GX470 will outlast any vehicles on the long run so I wanted to keep this and once its paid off in about a year, purchase the bmw.

I am still pondering why the hell a/c went out like that. I just searched and found the TSB for it, i'm also gonna mention the TSB to the service manager.
Old 05-06-08, 04:55 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Okay, just picked up the truck from the service dept. It was a relay, covered under warranty. Although, on the invoice they've mentioned TSB. I guess they covered it under the TSB? AC is ice cold..

They didn't wash the truck tho, were they suppose to or am i asking for too much now?
Old 05-06-08, 07:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, if you went in there screaming that your going to go buy a BMW, then no sir, it stays dirty.
Seriously, some dealers do, some do not, overall it depends on the service length.
If you request it then yes, they will most likely wash it for you. Most dealers are good about that sort of thing, but a relay takes all but 5 minutes to change with about a 10 minute diagnostic if that. Relays seldom go out so at least it was a simple fix. Glad your back on the road and thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-08, 06:05 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sammzway...glad everything worked out for you. I understand the temptation to jump onto something else when what you have is not behaving as it should be, but the other perspective is that you can be in worst position then now. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Ken
Old 05-07-08, 06:23 AM
Sammzway
Rookie

You guys are absolutely correct. I've always owned jap vehicles and until this day never had anything insane as far as problem goes. I have been tempted to get into a german vehicle but just never had the push to actually make the move.

But I could have been in a far worst position, I can't complain about the truck, held up VERY well so far minus the a/c relay and faulty airbag sensor last year. THUMBS UP!

PS - this clublexus community is very helpful and i'm glad I can hold discussions and receive information from a place like this. Love you guys/gals.
Old 05-07-08, 02:06 PM
carlopeto
Driver School Candidate

Default same here --- A/C is warm !!

When I took my truck to the dealer for its regular service, I asked them to check the A/C system because it is blowing warm air. The bill indicates that they checked it, and that it was working OK (no $ charges for this service). However, it is not working. I am frying inside the truck!

My assessment is that the A/C engine works well. It blows air strongly, but it does not cool down. I have just bought some refrigerant, but I do not know how to add refrigerant. Where is the valve? Do you think it is only a matter of adding refrigerant, or should I also replace the filter in the glove compartment, or anything else?

The owner's manual does not talk about A/C refrigerant.

Please HELP. The spring is killing me, and the summer will destroy me!

CARLOS -carlopeto-
Old 05-07-08, 04:31 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

Go to that site and fill in the correct information about your truck, and print the TSB. Make an appointment with your service dept. and show them that TSB and ask them to repair your AC under that TSB. What year is your vehicle? I hope this works out for you. Good luck.

Here is one more site with TSBs just in case you want to take multiple printouts.
http://www.lexustsb.com/

Originally Posted by carlopeto
When I took my truck to the dealer for its regular service, I asked them to check the A/C system because it is blowing warm air. The bill indicates that they checked it, and that it was working OK (no $ charges for this service). However, it is not working. I am frying inside the truck!

My assessment is that the A/C engine works well. It blows air strongly, but it does not cool down. I have just bought some refrigerant, but I do not know how to add refrigerant. Where is the valve? Do you think it is only a matter of adding refrigerant, or should I also replace the filter in the glove compartment, or anything else?

The owner's manual does not talk about A/C refrigerant.

Please HELP. The spring is killing me, and the summer will destroy me!

CARLOS -carlopeto-

Last edited by Sammzway; 05-07-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-08-08, 11:51 AM
carlopeto
Driver School Candidate

Sammzway, thank you. That link (lexustsb.com) looks promising. Let me see what I can learn from it. Thanks for the tip.