GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

First Service Department visit.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 10:07 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Service Department visit.......

I have owned my GX for about two weeks but because I didn’t buy it new, I had my first encounter with the Lexus service department.

One day while in the drive through, I reached in the ashtray, which I use as a coin tray, and the entire drawer fell to the floor tossing coins everywhere. After further inspection I discovered that the ashtray mechanism was defective therefore the slightest pressure caused the drawer to completely disengage and fall. This defect along with the TSB for the drive shaft was enough for me to make my first visit to the service department.

My first impressions of the service department are as such:
1. The service department in my area is open 365 days a year from 5am-11pm. Needless to say, they assist a lot of customers daily and it shows. Throughout the check in process my service advisor was very short and curt with me and I felt extremely rushed.
2. The RX350 loaner car was dirty and the inside passenger seat had crusty clumps of icing everywhere.
3. The service department didn’t tell me when my SUV would be ready but instead said we will call you.

In the two weeks of ownership, I noticed the ‘off’ light of the height adjustment would periodically blink while my vehicle was in motion. It didn’t do it every time and since I had yet to read the owners manual I assumed it was normal operation so I didn’t bother bringing it up when I dropped my car off. That night I decided to familiarize myself with the GX by reading the owners manual and discovered that a blinking ‘off’ light required a visit to the Lexus service department. With this new information I called the dealership and requested that they add this tidbit to my service ticket. I was assured they would.

The next day I called the dealership (they didn’t call me) for a status and was told that the ashtray was ordered and would be in the following day and the drive shaft was on back order. The requested to keep the vehicle an additional day so when I hadn’t heard from the service department by 5pm, I started questioning how long it takes to replace an ashtray so I called (they didn’t call me) and was told that my car was ready for pickup. I asked my service rep if they checked the blinking ‘off’ light and was told that the problem was resolved. He said there was a problem with the button and everything had been fixed. Well at this point I laid into the guy and questioned whether he thinks someone with an IQ level of 10 would be able to afford a Lexus. I requested to speak with the service technician upon arrival.

I arrived at the dealership and was told by the service rep that a drive shaft was located in stock and the repair was completed. However, as expected, I didn’t see the blinking ‘off’ light problem anywhere on the invoice so I really wanted to speak with the technician. I met with the technician who hadn’t been told of the problem by the service rep so he asked to take an additional look at the vehicle while I waited. After waiting in the service lobby for about 45 minutes the rep tells me that a TSB was found on the blinking ‘off’ light and they needed to keep the vehicle for another day because it would require a semi-major repair. He showed me the TSB which stated “Moisture Intrusion”. Anyway, happy to hear that I was correct all along, I agreed to leave my vehicle an additional day.

I was called Saturday and told that my vehicle was ready for pickup. Before checking out I requested to see the invoice which to my relief everything was repaired.

This is what they replaced and the cost:

Ashtray Assembly - $10.50
1 37110-60A40 Shaft ASSY, PROPELLER $265
1 04006-09160 Control ARM KIT, RR
857491 REPLACE HEIGHT CONTROL COMPRESSOR $535

Luckily all repairs were covered by the manufacturer warranty.

Of course I was scared as h3ll after reading post from others who had the drive shaft replaced and later experienced a harsh ride. For the remainder of the weekend I found myself driving aimlessly around town purposely looking for speed bumps to trample over. I am happy to report so far so good I have not experienced the harsh ride. The SUV rides like new.

I also would like to say that I am coming from a Mercedes ML350 and find myself extremely disappointed with the “Lexus Experience”. I love the GX 470 and everything about it besides the wide swinging door but the customer service and overall Lexus experience has been a big disappointment. I don’t want to believe it but it really seems to be Lexus hype based on what I have gone through and the MANY complaints from others on this board and other Lexus boards. People can say whatever they want about Mercedes but I didn’t have any problems or complaints whatsoever. I just wanted a change of scenery so I decided to go with Lexus. Unless something changes, I don’t see myself staying with Lexus beyond one or two years. Would I feel different had I bought a 4runner? Probably, because my expectations wouldn’t have been so high!

QUESTION: Should I have received a wheel alignment? Let me say this may all be in my head but my vehicle sends to pull to the right since picking up from dealership.

Thanks for reading.
2004 GX 470
22,200 miles

Last edited by GX4704ME; 04-28-08 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-28-08, 10:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have heard a few complains about Lexus service in the VA area, maybe there is just not enough competition out there for your Lexus dealer. I would call up the service manager about the service adviser who lie to you about the height off light problem and the lack of any call to let you know the car was ready. For the most part, Lexus dealers are some of the best.
Old 04-28-08, 10:21 AM
K-Bud
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did u buy your lexus from this dealer?
Old 04-28-08, 10:22 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Yes I bought from same dealer.
Old 04-28-08, 01:27 PM
kutsyy
Driver

Originally Posted by GX4704ME

QUESTION: Should I have received a wheel alignment? Let me say this may all be in my head but my vehicle sends to pull to the right since picking up from dealership.
You should have asked for wheel alignment, and I am sure dealer would be happy to charge Lexus $250 for it. Just make sure to check alignment after it is done. I had it done on a new car (it was slightly pulling to the right, so during my 1K service I mention it), and Lexus technicians were able to screw it up. After the alignment it was pulling to the left much worse than before. It is first time I see anyone been able to crew up computerized alignment. They did it right second time around
Old 04-28-08, 02:39 PM
HRMommyof2
Driver School Candidate

Did you go to Pohanka?
Old 04-28-08, 02:46 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Old 04-28-08, 06:13 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently own three Lexus' and my daughter has an IS as well. In the years I've owned Lexus vehicles, I've had a couple of irritating service experiences but all in all, I've been very happy with the service.
Old 04-29-08, 05:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If enough owners from VA call Lexus and complain about this dealer, maybe Lexus will do something about it. It seems to me that 95% of the Lexus are pretty good and the other 5% is just no better than Ford dealers.
Old 04-29-08, 09:54 AM
HRMommyof2
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear your service experience was so unpleasant. I try to drop my truck off during the evenings, around 9pm-ish or so, just to avoid the crowds and I've never been made to feel rushed. During my last service, I was still hearing the noise I had dropped it off for, so I asked for a technician to drive with me. He was awesome ... immediately put it back on the lift and fixed the problem. I was annoyed, but at the end of the day, everything was fixed and I brought ice cream home for the husband. I hope your next service goes much smoother for you!
Old 05-05-08, 03:18 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Default Update........

If you read my initial post (see above) you already know I had a not so pleasant experience during my first visit to the Lexus Service Department. Well I had to revisit the Service Department this past weekend and am happy to report a buch better experience.

Last week after picking up my vehicle from having the above work done (check initial post above), I noticed somedays my vehicle pulled to the left and other days to the right. Sunday I decided to revisit the Service Department but this time I made certain NOT to use the same Service Rep as before. I explained my problem and even suggested that I would pay for the alignment if it wasn't caused by the previous work performed. He agreed to call when done and off I went in a powder blue RX350 Oh before leaving I asked if they wash the vehicle on every service visit and he informed that wash and vacuum is included with every service. Of course it wasn't done on my last visit but I walked away and hoped for the best.

I was called this morning and informed that my car was ready for pickup and the problems found were: both sides out of alignment and a steering box that was extremely loose. The best part of the call was it had all been repaired at no charge to me! The service rep said they normally check the steering box during one of the service intervals but they checked anyway and discovered it was loose.

I picked up the vehicle this morning and was blown away at how tight and responsive the vehicle felt even though (i thought) it drove great before! I have had the SUV for less than a month but today driving to work was like none other. Maybe its the Lexus newbie in me but I can really tell a difference not only in how the vehicle track but how tight the steering feels when driving.

Today was a good day and I hope I do not have to revisit the Lexus dealership anytime soon.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 05-05-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 05:23 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

I'm glad everything worked out for you. Remember one thing, just because one lexus service dept treats you wrong doesn't mean all the other ones will too. The professionalism varies from different service dept. In the future if you are dissatisfied with the customer service, simply give them a bad review when they call you for customer feedback (which they do every time I visit my service dept) and just search for another service dept and take your vehicle there. Good luck with everything.