GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Removing Door Panel Instructions????

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 05:46 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Removing Door Panel Instructions????

It's starting to get a little warmer outside so I was thinking about tinting my 2 front windows. I looked at the window and noticed that there's a pocket in the bottom right corner that would make soothing out the tint a pain so I was wondering if anyone has any instructions on how to remove the door panels?

I've tinted many cars myself so tinting is not an issue for me.

If anyone is interested I can post picks or do a write up on the tinting process.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 03-20-08, 10:34 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I'll plan to do a write up on removing the door panel since it seems no one has done it yet. I'll make sure I do this before my warranty expires.

I had an oops on a 98 camry when it was only 2 months old. I was surprised that the door panel was $500 but good o warranty took care of that.
Old 04-05-08, 06:49 PM
scb71
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 Door Panel removal

I found this online which is somewhat helpful although not the best.

http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000890.pdf

I just took mine off and should have taken pictures but it was really quite easy. Follow my attempt at instructions and you should be in good shape:

1 - get something that you can pry with that may help limit your potential to scratch. I did use a screwdriver with no problem but you need to be careful

2 - remove the triangular piece in the upper front corner closest to the side mirror - no screws there

3 - remove the little plastice that is behind the door handle and next to the door lock button. Just ease it out with a little prying - there is a screw behind there to remove

4 - pry up the window and lock operator panel - this is all easier than it may sound. Unhook the switches and remove a gold screw

5 - pry up the arm rest panel and remove a screw behind there

6 - begin at the bottom of the door and pull out gently to release the plastic clamps. work your way around and up

7 - the door will be able to be pulled out and up from the bottom

8 - unhook multiple electric hookups and the door handle and lock operator

9 - reverse

This was actually the easiest one I have ever done - not that this is something that I do oftern but I have done it before on another car.

I hope this helps
Old 04-07-08, 12:59 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

scb71

Thanks for the tips. I'll take a shot at it after I find the tints I'm looking for.
Old 05-24-08, 08:27 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scb71
I found this online which is somewhat helpful although not the best.

http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000890.pdf

I just took mine off and should have taken pictures but it was really quite easy. Follow my attempt at instructions and you should be in good shape:

1 - get something that you can pry with that may help limit your potential to scratch. I did use a screwdriver with no problem but you need to be careful

2 - remove the triangular piece in the upper front corner closest to the side mirror - no screws there

3 - remove the little plastice that is behind the door handle and next to the door lock button. Just ease it out with a little prying - there is a screw behind there to remove

4 - pry up the window and lock operator panel - this is all easier than it may sound. Unhook the switches and remove a gold screw

5 - pry up the arm rest panel and remove a screw behind there

6 - begin at the bottom of the door and pull out gently to release the plastic clamps. work your way around and up

7 - the door will be able to be pulled out and up from the bottom

8 - unhook multiple electric hookups and the door handle and lock operator

9 - reverse

This was actually the easiest one I have ever done - not that this is something that I do oftern but I have done it before on another car.

I hope this helps
It's not quite the same so I'll do a write up for it.
Old 09-03-12, 07:18 AM
TKukes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the passenger door panel to replace a speaker on my 2004 GX470. Everything went well and got put back together just fine. I checked the window and the lock before putting it all back and they worked fine.

However, when I was all done and had to go someplace later, I could not roll the window down from the drivers side controller. Controllers on passenger side work fine still.

Is there some sort of 'reset' that has to happen to fix this?
Old 09-05-12, 06:18 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TKukes
However, when I was all done and had to go someplace later, I could not roll the window down from the drivers side controller. Controllers on passenger side work fine still.

Is there some sort of 'reset' that has to happen to fix this?
To reset, hold the window down button on the window you want to reprogram. Once it rolls down, hold the up button and when its up it should be programmed again to use from the master switch.