GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Toyo Proxes 285 60 17 for GX !

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 08:24 AM
Lexy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Smitty
Thanks for the feedback. Toyo has introduced a newer line of Proxes ST's now called Proxes II ST's. Even better, with the perfect fit 285 60 17's.
Here is a quick link for my Magnaflow Dual exhaust thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...low-gx470.html

Have a great day !
Old 11-03-10, 09:24 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexy
Hi Smitty
Thanks for the feedback. Toyo has introduced a newer line of Proxes ST's now called Proxes II ST's. Even better, with the perfect fit 285 60 17's.

Have a great day !
I have the Proxes ST II's on the Rover and really like them. I hated them at first, bu then I noticed that the two fronts were on the wrong side of the car (they are directional). After I swapped em, they have been very good on the dry pavement and very good in the rain.
Old 11-03-10, 12:34 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Originally Posted by cmarshack
I have the Proxes ST II's on the Rover and really like them. I hated them at first, bu then I noticed that the two fronts were on the wrong side of the car (they are directional). After I swapped em, they have been very good on the dry pavement and very good in the rain.
Chad, Good to know.... Thx! Did going to the rear duals activate any coded with the GX? Like any check engine lights or anything? Someone told me that the K&N filter will do that???
Old 11-03-10, 05:42 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

These are the optional factory Lexus Chrome Rims. They were bought new with this vehicle at the time of purchase in 2006. They are identical in size to the stock rims, 17" X 7.5" with the stock offset. Next project, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust. Here is another pic of the Toyo's.
I love them. I have the 17" Tundra chromes that look similar and run 265/70/17's. I like your sizing better, I think I will have even more space with the 15mm offset compared to the GX's 25mm offset. Never thought of going up to 285's and going down to 60's. Nice job.
Old 11-04-10, 10:25 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

I’m still undecided on the tire size I am going to go with. I don’t need tires right yet but am going to try to sell my 22s and will need some then.
Old 11-17-10, 06:26 PM
ApacheMono
Driver School Candidate

Today I got back from picking up my new GX from Fremont California ! Drove back along the Coast from Monterey, California to Astoria, Oregon, then home to Surrey, BC. Averaged 20.7 MPG on the Coastal Highway ! Pretty good for a V8 !
Back on topic, Had the Toyo Proxes ST's installed today, They look awesome and feel better than the stock Dunlops. Clearance is tight but adequate, They are about 3/8" Clearance on the front. The rears have tons of clearance. Full turning left and right with no rubbing issues. Certainly the largest tires you would ever put on the stock rims. They are the identical height to the stock tires, but they definately fill in the wheels nicer. They are 285 Width profile versus the stock 265's. Basically translates to almost an inch wider in width.
I am going to detail the truck on Saturday and post some good pics shortly after. Thanks everyone for your patience.
Cheers

Mike Nielsen
Hi Mike,

Good to know that you got your GX from Fremont CA, that was my hometown a couple of years before me moving to Edmonton,AB ...lol. I just was curious to know how much in customs etc you had to pay on top of what you bought the machine from Fremont,CA. Did you have to get it on your name (I mean register in Dept. of Motor Vehicles in California) or how did you manage it.

Best Regards,
SP
Old 11-18-10, 09:45 AM
Lexy
Rookie

Default Importing Lexus from California

Hi,

Actually when a Canadian purchases a vehicle from the US, they are exempt from that State's Taxes. When I crossed the border into Canada, I had to pay our 5% GST at the time, then when I finished getting the Federal ( RIV ) and the Provincial safety inspection, I had to pay our 7% PST tax.

Today we have the HST, which means I would pay the full 12% at the border.

Of course Alberta only has GST.

Warning on salvage vehicles from the States, if you live in Alberta, it is very difficult to get them licensed. I would avoid them big time.

The other great news for Toyota and Lexus vehicles, is that the warranty is completely transferable between US and Canada. So the factory warranty will be honored in Canada. Not the case for all manufacturers.

Hope this answers your questions.

I created a blog on importing cars from the US.

Here is the link for your information:

http://www.blog.trbn.com/2007/03/27/...-car-ebay-usa/

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-18-10, 11:49 AM
GXHunter
Driver School Candidate

I just got a GX out of Tucson, bringing it into alberta was 5% gst and 6.1% duty for being made in japan.
Old 11-18-10, 11:53 AM
Lexy
Rookie

Default Duty Rates

Yes, you are right !
Any Lexus or Toyota that is made in North America is Duty Fee, but the ones made in Japan have the 6.1 % duty.

Good point.

VIN numbers identify the country of Origin.

The first number is the key, so for VIN numbers starting with:
1= Made in USA ( No Duty )
2= Made in Canada ( No Duty )
J = Japan ( 6.1 % Duty )

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-24-10, 11:07 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SmittysGX
Chad, Good to know.... Thx! Did going to the rear duals activate any coded with the GX? Like any check engine lights or anything? Someone told me that the K&N filter will do that???
Nope! I also had the K&N and no check engine messages for either mod.
Old 09-15-11, 05:56 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Hi Smitty

Have a great day !
Hey Lexy, I am just now looking to get these tires, finally I am looking at the Toyo Proxes IIs and was wondering how yours have held up? It looks like yours are about 3 years old now if you still have them on the GX. Any update would be great, Thx again Smitty
Old 10-27-11, 11:57 AM
Lexy
Rookie

Hi Smitty,
Well yes they are 3 years old, and I have put on approx. 40 Thousand Miles, They still have good tread, I would say almost 50%. The newer Proxes ST II's, have even better wear.
Love the stability, and they work well in dry and rainy conditions. Couple of years ago we had a foot of snow, and they worked reasonably well, obviously not designed for snow. But I felt confident. With the big expectations of snow this year, I was thinking about getting something else for the winter, and putting these back on in the spring. Good luck !
Cheers

Mike
Old 01-14-14, 07:43 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Hi Smitty,
Well yes they are 3 years old, and I have put on approx. 40 Thousand Miles, They still have good tread, I would say almost 50%. The newer Proxes ST II's, have even better wear.
Love the stability, and they work well in dry and rainy conditions. Couple of years ago we had a foot of snow, and they worked reasonably well, obviously not designed for snow. But I felt confident. With the big expectations of snow this year, I was thinking about getting something else for the winter, and putting these back on in the spring. Good luck !
Cheers

Mike
Dang, its been a while but I ended up getting these and they are working out great!!

Old 01-14-14, 10:01 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting discussion.

My question is .... safety related. Since these tires are much wider than the stock tire size, can they be mounted 100% safely on the STOCK wheels? The stock wheels are not very wide.

Yes, i know that people do crazy things and mount all sorts of tires sizes on their stock wheels, but the GX470 is a tall, heavy vehicle. You mess with the tires and balance of the suspension and you may be in deep trouble, especially during high speeds.

I am not saying that this is the case, i am just ASKING, if you have seen ANY degradation in handling, turning response, quick lane change maneuvers, etc?

Btw, the approved rim width for the 285/60/17 Toyo Proxes ST II is 8.0-8.5-10.0
Our stock wheels are 7.5 wide.

Last edited by danmm7; 01-14-14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 11:56 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Originally Posted by danmm7
Very interesting discussion.

My question is .... safety related. Since these tires are much wider than the stock tire size, can they be mounted 100% safely on the STOCK wheels? The stock wheels are not very wide.

Yes, i know that people do crazy things and mount all sorts of tires sizes on their stock wheels, but the GX470 is a tall, heavy vehicle. You mess with the tires and balance of the suspension and you may be in deep trouble, especially during high speeds.

I am not saying that this is the case, i am just ASKING, if you have seen ANY degradation in handling, turning response, quick lane change maneuvers, etc?

Btw, the approved rim width for the 285/60/17 Toyo Proxes ST II is 8.0-8.5-10.0
Out stock wheels are 7.5 wide.
They are mounted on my FJ wheels and fit perfect!

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes 285 60 17 for GX !