GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

transmission Dipstick?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 06:10 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Ok great,I forget where I saw you,but,I knew there was something about you that struck me...:-)

Interesting on not changing the strainer/screen.Here is my situation.Bought at 52,000 miles in 2009. No history on any trans service and we are just under 170,000 k miles. Do you still think I should just leave the filter alone and do a couple of drain and fills at this point?
no trans issues? Just doing it for PM? I’d Just drain and fill it, drive it for a few days, and do it again. If I remember right, I only got like 4-5 quarts out of mine.
Old 02-04-18, 07:45 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCat81

no trans issues? Just doing it for PM? I’d Just drain and fill it, drive it for a few days, and do it again. If I remember right, I only got like 4-5 quarts out of mine.
Great,appreciate the feed back. No issues,just PM which is long over due.I will get this done in the next couple of weeks.Can't wait.....:-)
Old 02-05-18, 06:45 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Yes you would. At that point you're just trying to extend the life of the transmission - you're unlikely to swap in a reman or parts-yard pick.

Chip H.
Old 02-05-18, 11:58 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

One last question.Doing a couple of d&d's in getting the most fluid out as possible, is it best do drain on a cold transmission or a warmed up transmission?
Old 02-05-18, 02:13 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

One last question.Doing a couple of d&d's in getting the most fluid out as possible, is it best do drain on a cold transmission or a warmed up transmission?
You can do either, but warm will drain faster and the level should be checked warm anyways. Don’t forget to shift through the gears after filling the rough amount of fluid, then fine tune fill it. Check the level in neutral or park.
Old 02-05-18, 02:36 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wronglane,
You were trying to do this 3 years back, still at it?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-on-gx-6.html

Old 02-05-18, 05:18 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

You can do either, but warm will drain faster and the level should be checked warm anyways. Don’t forget to shift through the gears after filling the rough amount of fluid, then fine tune fill it. Check the level in neutral or park.
Will do,thank you for the tips!
Old 02-08-18, 11:15 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by gxman1
Wronglane,
You were trying to do this 3 years back, still at it?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-on-gx-6.html
Gxman,sorry,I missed your post. Yes,still at it...lol. Wow time flies! Not long after posting there,we decided that we were going to sell it in a years time,however,we changed our mind as it is paid for and runs great. The fluid came yesterday.I am going with Amsoil ATL which is PAO based 100% true synthetic.If there is interest in pics of the fluid that comes out compared to new fluid,I will post them.We are at 170k miles and I do not believe it was ever changed,so,it may not look pretty.I plan on two drain and fills and going with Blackcats experience in not changing the strainer/filter.
Attached Thumbnails transmission Dipstick?????-amsoil-atl.jpg  
Old 02-09-18, 04:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

one of the reasons I like my 03 so much. has a trans dipstick, no tire pressure sensors and no vvti... which is just how I like it
Old 02-09-18, 09:12 PM
cphang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are we able to substitute AMSOIL ATF for Toyota WS? Any pros/cons I should be aware of before changing to AMSOIL ATF or should I straight drain/fill with only Toyota WS?
Old 02-09-18, 10:18 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by cphang
Are we able to substitute AMSOIL ATF for Toyota WS? Any pros/cons I should be aware of before changing to AMSOIL ATF or should I straight drain/fill with only Toyota WS?
You can absolutely use the Amsoil. The Toyota WS spec is listed on the bottle. It is a Pao based Group IV 100 % synthetic fluid much better than WS in every which way you measure performance.

I am an Amsoil dealer,so,if you have any questions ask or pm me. I can give you or any other member wholesale prices.
Old 02-10-18, 06:49 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cphang
absolutely. Among many other fluids as well.
Old 02-10-18, 10:54 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the drain, fill and overflow bolt gaskets? I would like to get new gaskets. 2009, but guess all are same except 2003.
Old 02-10-18, 04:10 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by burny
Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the drain, fill and overflow bolt gaskets? I would like to get new gaskets. 2009, but guess all are same except 2003.
The gaskets for both the drain plug and the over fill plug are the same and carry the same part number..........3517830010.........They are a little over 2 bucks each.

The fill plug has an o-ring which I am not replacing so I did not order it. If it is not torn when removing the plug,99.9% of the time it should be good. Someone else will probably chime in with a number for it.
Old 02-11-18, 05:36 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

thanks - I need to keep these numbers handy. Sounds like same number I used several years back when I did the GS350.

Quick Reply: transmission Dipstick?????