GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Added an Aux port to our 2005 GX for $16.00

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 06:41 AM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added an Aux port to our 2005 GX for $16.00

My wife got me an IPOD for Christmas, to install it on my car (2007 IS350) was easy, it has an Aux port. But the GX didn't have an Aux port, I know you can get the adaters from Vais or Dice, but we didn't want to go that way, really don't like the way they work, you can only search by playlist. So I picked up 2 HK Drive and Plays, got them for $19.00 each, like them much better, because they are exactly like the IPOD for searching and finding songs. Anyway was a piece of cake to put in my car, but like I said the GX didn't have an Aux port. So I did a search on the net and found the wiring for the audio in the GX. I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 DPDT 12 volt relays, a SPST panel mount switch and a small project box, total cost $16.97. My idea was to cut into were the CD changer in the glove box goes into the head unit, since it's a regular line output. I pulled out the glove box and CD changer, were the changer plugged into the harness are 10 wires. The colors are as follows:

Brown - Ground
Gray - ACC
Blue/Yellow - 12volt
Blue - Video +
Light Green - Video -
Pink - Mute
And the ones you cut into for the Aux port:
Brown - Right Audio +
White - Right Audio -
Red - Left Audio +
Green - Left Audio -

what I did was cut the audio wires and wired the relays normally closed contacts to them, then the relays normally open contacts I wired to a plug for the IPOD (I used a 3.5mm plug so it would plug right into the Drive and Play unit, you can use any plug you want to). Then run power to the switch and back to the relays, so when the switch is off, everything is normal and you can listen to CD's, when you turn the switch on and it powers the relays, it switches the line input to the head unit from the changer to the IPOD. It works and sounds great, thought I would share this with you guys, in case you are looking for a cheap way to add an aux port for an IPOD. If you want to know anymore, shoot me a message, be glad to help.
Old 01-26-08, 09:33 AM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Default Need DVD/CD player wire diagram for 2007 GX

Lexusscguy, do you know if this wire diagram is correct for 2007 GX since it has a DVD changer in it instead of a CD changer. Pointing me towards a link on the internet would help as well. I have been asking for help from this forum to try and connect my DVD changer in the glovebox to my headrest DVD players. My son is too young to control the headrest DVD players so we have to pull over to change DVD or rewind/forward to a favorite scene. My wife and I would like to control what he watches from the front DVD changer. So long story short I would like to split off the video and sound coming from the changer and route it to the headrest. Any help would be appreciated.

Dsmiles

Originally Posted by lexusscguy
My wife got me an IPOD for Christmas, to install it on my car (2007 IS350) was easy, it has an Aux port. But the GX didn't have an Aux port, I know you can get the adaters from Vais or Dice, but we didn't want to go that way, really don't like the way they work, you can only search by playlist. So I picked up 2 HK Drive and Plays, got them for $19.00 each, like them much better, because they are exactly like the IPOD for searching and finding songs. Anyway was a piece of cake to put in my car, but like I said the GX didn't have an Aux port. So I did a search on the net and found the wiring for the audio in the GX. I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 DPDT 12 volt relays, a SPST panel mount switch and a small project box, total cost $16.97. My idea was to cut into were the CD changer in the glove box goes into the head unit, since it's a regular line output. I pulled out the glove box and CD changer, were the changer plugged into the harness are 10 wires. The colors are as follows:

Brown - Ground
Gray - ACC
Blue/Yellow - 12volt
Blue - Video +
Light Green - Video -
Pink - Mute
And the ones you cut into for the Aux port:
Brown - Right Audio +
White - Right Audio -
Red - Left Audio +
Green - Left Audio -

what I did was cut the audio wires and wired the relays normally closed contacts to them, then the relays normally open contacts I wired to a plug for the IPOD (I used a 3.5mm plug so it would plug right into the Drive and Play unit, you can use any plug you want to). Then run power to the switch and back to the relays, so when the switch is off, everything is normal and you can listen to CD's, when you turn the switch on and it powers the relays, it switches the line input to the head unit from the changer to the IPOD. It works and sounds great, thought I would share this with you guys, in case you are looking for a cheap way to add an aux port for an IPOD. If you want to know anymore, shoot me a message, be glad to help.
Old 01-26-08, 12:28 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmiles1
Lexusscguy, do you know if this wire diagram is correct for 2007 GX since it has a DVD changer in it instead of a CD changer. Pointing me towards a link on the internet would help as well. I have been asking for help from this forum to try and connect my DVD changer in the glovebox to my headrest DVD players. My son is too young to control the headrest DVD players so we have to pull over to change DVD or rewind/forward to a favorite scene. My wife and I would like to control what he watches from the front DVD changer. So long story short I would like to split off the video and sound coming from the changer and route it to the headrest. Any help would be appreciated.

Dsmiles
Make that two of us very interested in this info!

Also, more simply, where can I find instructions on removing the DVD changer from my glovebox? I'd like to snoop around and see what connections are available.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-08, 01:53 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Make that two of us very interested in this info!
where can I find instructions on removing the DVD changer from my glovebox?
Assuming the DVD changer is mounted much like the CD changer in my '04, here you go...

http://www.emba42.com/lexus/

There are also other instructions here in the archives.
Old 01-26-08, 03:11 PM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

I am not sure the wiring is the same, my guess would be that it is, I can't see them changing the colors of what the wires do, that would make no sense. What I would do is pull out the changer and look at the colors of the wires on the harness side and see if they match. Here's the PDF with the entire diagrams
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
gx470audio.pdf (273.7 KB, 877 views)
Old 01-26-08, 07:14 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure the wiring is the same, my guess would be that it is, I can't see them changing the colors of what the wires do, that would make no sense. What I would do is pull out the changer and look at the colors of the wires on the harness side and see if they match. Here's the PDF with the entire diagrams
Thanks for the PDF!

Yikes...

Looks like (if I'm reading it correctly) there is a "rear seat entertainment ecu" that takes signal from the DVD player and feeds it to the rear monitor. Bet that wouldn't be cheap...

I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy a harness, the rear-seat-entertainment ecu, and drive some rear video. But, I don't think i'm brave enough to be the guinnea pig
Old 01-26-08, 08:15 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

BurgBoxstr and Lexusscguy,
Thanks for the reply and links. They should be helpful for me to do the DVD changer/ headrest mod.

Lexuscguy, according to the wire diagram the +right audio wire should be black and not brown as indicated in your post. Maybe the daigram did not match what was actually in your vehicle. I know this can happen.

dsmiles

Old 01-26-08, 09:00 PM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

No that was my bad, when I typed this post I did it quick and was doing the colors from memory sorry, it was black, the wires matched perfectly.
Old 10-20-08, 11:50 AM
mwbuck
Driver

I hate to revive an old post, but I am looking to do this in my 05 GX as well. The only difference is, I don't have Nav - so the CD unit is in the dash, not the glove box. Does anyone know if the wires are the same?

I'm assuming I'll just take out the head unit and look for a 10 wire harness. Once I locate it, I'll look for the Black, White, Red, and Green wires - correct?

Also, can I tap into the Blue/Yellow 12 volt in order to power the relay?
Old 10-21-08, 12:14 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mwbuck
I hate to revive an old post, but I am looking to do this in my 05 GX as well. The only difference is, I don't have Nav - so the CD unit is in the dash, not the glove box. Does anyone know if the wires are the same?

I'm assuming I'll just take out the head unit and look for a 10 wire harness. Once I locate it, I'll look for the Black, White, Red, and Green wires - correct?

Also, can I tap into the Blue/Yellow 12 volt in order to power the relay?

That'll make two of us. I have the same issue