GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to replace the license plate light

Old 12-23-07, 01:15 AM
samolgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace the license plate light

I want to upgrade mine license plate light to LED. Does anyone know how to replace the light. Thanks

sam
Old 12-26-07, 10:39 AM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this upgrade last weekend.

Step #1 - Open the tailgate! ( yeah I know what a smart *** )

Step #2 - You need to pull off the ENTIRE back panel. This is one piece. To do so you need to remove a few things first. Take out the tool set, cover and tools. Then where the cargo net part is, there are two square tabs that pop off. I believe only one of them have a screw, take that out. Next, the handle. This part is a bit tricky. The handle has 2 clamps that you can pinch and pull out. Pinch your fingers and wiggle it sideways a few times as you pull. Then you need to pull real hard until you hear each of the clips for the handle pop. From memory, I believe you should now have the actual handle in your hand. NOW you can pry off the ENTIRE back panel. I had a hard time by hand, so I used a pronged tool to do this. Try and find like a metal spatula or something and cover it with a towel and start from the bottom. Just wedge it in there and pry. Be careful though.

Step #3 - Now with the panel completely removed, You should see that there is a liner protecting the wiring. You can pull back the top part to access the license plate bulbs. The location of the bulbs should be obvious. I replaced mine with PIAA LED 164 wedge bulbs (white).

Step #4 - Put it back together the same way.

Estimated time - 20 minutes or so.

Once again this is from memory, but I think I am pretty right on.

I have a blizzard pearl and with the PIAA LED's, it looks just like the new GS's. I already received a few compliments.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
The following users liked this post:
fozzir (01-02-18)
Old 12-28-07, 09:44 AM
ubond007
Rookie

or if you look in the owners manual you can replace them like I did without removing the back panel and simply doing it from the outside.
Old 12-28-07, 11:33 AM
directfml
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha oh shoot... I didn't even bother to check. Oh well. Chalk it up to the game.
Old 01-16-08, 09:03 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ubond007

Or if you look in the owners manual you can replace them like I did without removing the back panel and simply doing it from the outside.
I've misplaced my owners manual.

I looked where the light emits thru a plastic window, but don't know where to go from there.

Can you tell me what you did ??

Thanks, Cap
Old 01-17-08, 08:35 AM
pump142
Driver

buy correct led bulb (search forum for this) pop out light mounts from above plate. replace bulb and reinsert. takes 5 minutes
Old 02-16-08, 12:39 AM
samolgx470
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both. I was able to replaceD my license plate lights with LED.
Old 02-16-08, 12:43 AM
munki3b0i
Driver School Candidate

i too was interested in this mod.. what brand led's did you get? did you get a chance to take a picture?
Old 02-16-08, 01:24 AM
samolgx470
Driver School Candidate

I got my LED from here

http://www.ijdmtoy.com/webpage/products/t15.htm

They look really nice.
Old 02-24-08, 09:16 PM
LexiGx470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ubond007
or if you look in the owners manual you can replace them like I did without removing the back panel and simply doing it from the outside.

My manual for 03 GX said "If it is necessary to replace a bulb, take your vehicle to your Lexus dealer as soon as possible."

Originally Posted by pump142
buy correct led bulb (search forum for this) pop out light mounts from above plate. replace bulb and reinsert. takes 5 minutes
How do you pop out the light mount? Do you use any special tool for this or just flat head screw driver?
Old 03-03-08, 07:31 PM
Roger108

Originally Posted by directfml
I just did this upgrade last weekend.

Step #1 - Open the tailgate! ( yeah I know what a smart *** )

Step #2 - You need to pull off the ENTIRE back panel. This is one piece. To do so you need to remove a few things first. Take out the tool set, cover and tools. Then where the cargo net part is, there are two square tabs that pop off. I believe only one of them have a screw, take that out. Next, the handle. This part is a bit tricky. The handle has 2 clamps that you can pinch and pull out. Pinch your fingers and wiggle it sideways a few times as you pull. Then you need to pull real hard until you hear each of the clips for the handle pop. From memory, I believe you should now have the actual handle in your hand. NOW you can pry off the ENTIRE back panel. I had a hard time by hand, so I used a pronged tool to do this. Try and find like a metal spatula or something and cover it with a towel and start from the bottom. Just wedge it in there and pry. Be careful though.

Step #3 - Now with the panel completely removed, You should see that there is a liner protecting the wiring. You can pull back the top part to access the license plate bulbs. The location of the bulbs should be obvious. I replaced mine with PIAA LED 164 wedge bulbs (white).

Step #4 - Put it back together the same way.

Estimated time - 20 minutes or so.

Once again this is from memory, but I think I am pretty right on.

I have a blizzard pearl and with the PIAA LED's, it looks just like the new GS's. I already received a few compliments.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow bro.. you are really dedicated lol.... all you had to do was pop the lamp out from the back, turn the bulb socket to the left i think, it then comes out of the housing squeeze the bulb and pull it out...

simple...
Old 02-06-09, 08:05 AM
skim07
Driver

nobody really explained how to pop out the lights from outside.

please explain as i couldn't figure out how to do it from outside.
Old 02-06-09, 08:10 AM
mwbuck
Driver

Just put on a pair of rubber gloves and pull down on the left and right side of each housing. Its not hard at all.
Old 02-06-09, 09:22 AM
skim07
Driver

that's it? just pulled down? I did notice there weren't any screws or clips but who knew all I had to do was just pull down iwth grip. sigh...

thank you very much for the post mwbuck. you saved me the trouble of taking apart the interior trim. lol
Old 02-06-09, 12:19 PM
mwbuck
Driver

Yep, simple as that. Are you replacing w/LEDs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace the license plate light