GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Potential New GX Owner Question on Price

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 10:44 AM
2003LC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New GX Owner Question on Price

I am really close to ordering a GX470 and would like to get your collective thoughts on price. I am forced to order this SUV as I would like a GX with the sport package and no 3rd row seat. Do to regional restrictions; they cannot locate a sports package model in the SE Pennsylvania area. I have negotiated a price of invoice plus $1,200, so is this a fair price? Also, should I push them to remove the advertising fee or am I just wasting time on this point? Looks like the fee is around $800. Last item, the dealer is trying to steer me towards ordering the 3rd row for resale value.

Thank you
Old 12-06-07, 11:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Most dealers here in the Northeast is selling their GX at invoice.
Old 12-06-07, 02:33 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2003LC
I am really close to ordering a GX470 and would like to get your collective thoughts on price. I am forced to order this SUV as I would like a GX with the sport package and no 3rd row seat. Do to regional restrictions; they cannot locate a sports package model in the SE Pennsylvania area. I have negotiated a price of invoice plus $1,200, so is this a fair price? Also, should I push them to remove the advertising fee or am I just wasting time on this point? Looks like the fee is around $800. Last item, the dealer is trying to steer me towards ordering the 3rd row for resale value.

Thank you
3rd for resale is a good idea
Old 12-11-07, 10:40 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

In Maryland there is no way you will get a GX for invoice. $1,200 around my way is really good and you will have a hard time getting rid of the advertising fee. I would also get the third row seats due to resale since they are not that expensive anymore.
Old 12-12-07, 07:21 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always take the 3rd row seat out and store it in the basement covered or don't buy the 3rd row seats and see if you can buy it off someone on this forum.
Old 12-12-07, 07:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

And the 2nd row air conditioning that comes with the 3rd row seats is nice too.
Old 12-12-07, 02:27 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by kphu
You could always take the 3rd row seat out and store it in the basement covered or don't buy the 3rd row seats and see if you can buy it off someone on this forum.
If your GX didn't originally come with 3rd row seats, it would be a very pricey thing to do to install the bracketry, change the side interior panels, etc. to install the 3rd seat in a GX that didn't have the option from the factory. Also resale in the future would take a very hard hit because it seems that just about everyone and certainly the dealers expect the GX to have the 3rd seat and rear A/C.
Old 12-13-07, 05:51 PM
2003LC
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for the information. The dealer did say they would not come off the $1200 over invoice price, so it is now a take it or leave it situation. I guess I will make my final decision this weekend. I still have about a month or two before I run out time to order the GX and get it before the lease on by BMW expires.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-14-07, 03:38 PM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

Why not expand your search to other areas where it's pretty clear dealers will sell for closer to invoice. Buying out of your area and servicing locally only costs you sacrificing the "free" 5K service most dealers offer.

My success came from obtaining quotes off the internet using sites like Edmunds and asking for a quote. Hint: to get quotes from multiple dealers, use different zip codes and the sites will direct your request to different dealers.

I ended up with two offers within 24 hours. One for $3,000 over invoice and the other for $100 over invoice. You can then negotiate a little more off from there.

If you decide not to go this route, you should try to get a bunch of free service from the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-07, 03:54 PM
2003LC
Driver School Candidate

Default Loaner Car

According to the dealers around here, if you don't buy from them you can't take advantage of the free loaner car nor the pick up and delivery. You guys agree with that?

Thanks

Eric
Old 12-14-07, 04:12 PM
BobsGX
Racer

According to the dealers around here, if you don't buy from them you can't take advantage of the free loaner car nor the pick up and delivery. You guys agree with that?

Thanks

Eric
Of course dealers are going to say that. A year ago when I lived in NY, I purchased my 07 GX from a dealer in upstate NY. When it came time for the first free service, I had it along with the clunk update performed at a dealer in NJ. They also provided a loaner car. Remember, most dealers sales, service and parts departments are run like 3 separate companys within a dealership, so service and parts want the business no matter where the vehicle was purchased.
Old 12-14-07, 05:54 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

2003LC, I remember last year I was talking to a guy in this forum from NY. He was looking for a GX with KDSS without the sport package which is almost impossible to find. Most dealer where he was would not come close to invoice price. I suggested a dealer here in MA. He drove up here and talk to them and they agree to order one for him at invoice price. So I would definitely expand your search area, if it mean saving yourself $2000 or $3000.
Old 12-14-07, 06:00 PM
2003LC
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I will do a search tonight and see what I can find. Do you have a dealer you would recommend in that area?
Old 12-14-07, 09:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

In Maryland, pretty much all dealers will give you a loaner even if you buy a new or used Lexus elsewhere. The only thing the Lexus dealer provides if you buy it from them is they will come to your house and pick up your car and leave a loaner as well as free car washes for life.
Old 12-15-07, 05:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you. I will do a search tonight and see what I can find. Do you have a dealer you would recommend in that area?
The dealer I would recommend is Lexus of Watertown MA. They have the lowest price in the area, but they dont really make it easy, you have to have a reasonable bottom line and stand firm on your price.

Quick Reply: Potential New GX Owner Question on Price