GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

KNN Intake Installation and PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 04:31 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default KNN Intake Installation and PICS

Got around to taking some pics of the KNN intake kit on my GX-2004.

Guys over at the 4runner forums claim 13-14 dyno proven WHEEL horsepower (around 16-17 crank) and I would have to agree. Essentially there are two popular companies that make kits for these motors; KNN and Volant which does not appear to be able to fit under the cover though should still fit otherwise . Owner dynos have shown a few more HP on the Volant vs the KNN kit. 17-13 I believe. The Volant is also a bit more money.

There are 3 KNN kits for the GX470-2003-2004 years.

57-9022- CARB legal kit but the CARB certification has been pulled just recently and KNN is currently submitting for another. Same kit-just the process.

63-9022 Exactly the same as the above minus the CARB. This is what I have as the 57-9022 kits are no longer shipping until the CARB is reapproved.

77-9022-Polished intake kit. Not CARB approved. Unless you want to keep the engine covers off to show off the shiny pipes save your money and get the other kits.

Installation is straight forward with a few tiny pieces that can be lost in the engine bay or below very easily.

I am impressed with the kit overall as it is well made unlike some other intake kits I have seen out there and owned. The heat shield is pretty nice and and comes with a durable strip of material to seal out the heat. This seal is the hardest part of the install as it needs to be stretched and pushed onto the heat shield. I recommend starting on the bottom so that the split is not visible up top.

This kit is not listed for the GX470, only listed for the V84runner 2003-2004 though this kit fits in exactly the same manner.

Used several hundred miles and so far no issues.

The midrange punch can certainly be felt with a little more pull at the top end. Low end actually does not appear affected one bit but that midrange-the 16-17hp can be felt for sure.

Noise: Yes, it is much meaner vs stock and there is a tad of resonance under high load. Under low load and idle there is no discernible noise difference. In fact wife never mentioned a think until I drove it with her in there. Nail it and this V8 comes alive with an aggressive growl.

MPG: As much as I would like to get some MPG improvement I did not buy it with that in mind. Some claim 2mpg more vs stock over on the 4Runner sites. Doubt I will ever test that as I never bought an SUV for the MPG.

Overall the kit is of great quality and recommended. I paid less than $200.00 for it shipped. Check around for good deals.

Everything fits nicely under the stock covers. There is a slight bulge on the left cover as it seals very tight on top of the intake housing.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-20-09 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 05:27 PM
brickauto
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool! Nice install and thanks for the pics and part nos.!

Now I can start shopping for a K&N intake kit with confidence
Old 11-08-07, 07:21 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap...you just cost me another $200 bucks!

Very nice, that thing looks a lot cleaner than I would have thought. Thanks for the pics and review.

Old 11-09-07, 07:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Looking good pearlpower, you have got to be the king of mod on this forum
Old 11-09-07, 05:12 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Great work!!
Old 11-09-07, 06:47 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys, keep in mind that this thing is loud under half to full load.
Old 11-10-07, 10:34 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Thanks guys, keep in mind that this thing is loud under half to full load.
I am sure that it only compliments the Magnaflow exhaust!

If we wanted quiet we never would have put the exhaust on.
Old 11-11-07, 07:15 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet - too bad I bought the true flow recently. It'd be a waste to get rid of it now. Perhaps a year or 2 of use.
Old 01-04-08, 05:16 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default MPG increase

Just a quick update, after monitoring the MPG over the past few months I use to average around 14.4-14.8 mpg and have been at 16.4-16.7 since the installation so I suppose there is some truth that the MPG will increase as this has been the only change. Figure I would share as fuel prices rise.
Old 01-04-08, 05:31 PM
brickauto
Driver

Thanks again for posting updates on the intake kit.

Here's the cheapest CARB approved kit I found online with free shipping http://www.amazon.com/K-N-63-9022-Ai...9496945&sr=1-1

Here's the non-CARB kit for a few dollars less
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-A...spagenameZWD1V
Old 01-06-08, 07:56 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any expected differences in this installation over just installing a K&N air filter in the OEM air box? Like better gas mileage? Need some ammo to present to the SO
Old 01-08-08, 10:25 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Very nice! I wonder if my wife will notice any difference if I put this under the hood!?! She would probably think that something is wrong with the engine!
Old 01-08-08, 12:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Just a quick update, after monitoring the MPG over the past few months I use to average around 14.4-14.8 mpg and have been at 16.4-16.7 since the installation so I suppose there is some truth that the MPG will increase as this has been the only change. Figure I would share as fuel prices rise.
That's very interesting to me. On page 6 of my car domain page below I outline the air intake modifications over the years, particularly the lower air intake that rams air in from a hole on the front bumper.

When I got my RX300 back from tranny modifications, I removed the lower air intake while I let my upgraded tranny get worn in (wanted to reduce the tendency of my right foot to assume a horizontal pattern on the accelerator). Since then I have gotten only 14s instead of 16s, I don't discount that tranny modifications might be at play, but after adding a bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner two days ago I just have gotten back into the 15s. I plan to reattach my lower air intake this weekend and do a fuel filter changeout hopefully this Saturday to see more of an effect.

I would love to work on and modify a GX470 unfortunately Lexus ain't in Mexico...yet.
Old 01-08-08, 12:35 PM
K-Bud
Driver

I'd like to see a before and after dyno of this kit being installed cause i seriously doubt that any hp gain over about 3-5 is gained with this kit.

its a nice kit but i think the HP gains are way off base but i'd like to see a test done to prove one way or the other.

i've seen many a kit on many a car and i have yet to see any real hp gain from just adding a CAI to a auto.

just sayin
Old 01-08-08, 12:37 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Cold air intake varies on many cars. Some cars do well with direct cold air, some do horribly with air that is not directed . A 968 for example picks up a nice 10hp from just 4 holes in the intake cover. My Tundra got me nothing with drilled holes-same motor as my GX though an intake did help the Tundra-it did have other mods such as headers and exhaust.
My GX also has an exhaust on it so perhaps that works well with the intake. To compare with a RX would be comparing two different animals

Quick Reply: KNN Intake Installation and PICS