GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Intermittent Poor Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 08:55 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
You are right. I hope everybody reads this who is experiencing a rough ride after the clunk fix or any adjustment service after which the ride sucks. I can't explain why this works but if you will cycle the vehicle while running through L (low) N (normal) and H (high) and then back to the normal riding height again, N (normal). Do this slowly each time until the light stops blinking each time and magically the ride goes back to being smooth again. I suffered through several months of terrible driving until I figured this out accidently.
I thought you might be a little nuts after reading this post, and I have been experiencing a pretty bad bottoming out issue as of late. But this actually works!!!!

Great suggestion! Now we need to find out how the ride height senson gets "confused". Maybe it is a bad height sensor. Or maybe when I lower it to load my surfbaord, and drive off and let it auto-correct back to N, maybe this is where is gets out of whack.

I just wanted to thank you for a great tip!!!

Old 09-29-07, 07:56 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmarshack
I thought you might be a little nuts after reading this post, and I have been experiencing a pretty bad bottoming out issue as of late. But this actually works!!!!

Great suggestion! Now we need to find out how the ride height senson gets "confused". Maybe it is a bad height sensor. Or maybe when I lower it to load my surfbaord, and drive off and let it auto-correct back to N, maybe this is where is gets out of whack.

I just wanted to thank you for a great tip!!!

You are welcome. I took my vehicle in for its 25000 mile service and asked them to check the rear height sensor, etc. They found nothing wrong whatsoever and could not explain what we have experienced. This is very odd, but man is my ride smooth now!
Old 09-29-07, 08:38 PM
NexVision
Rookie

I have also noticed that when I know I am going over speed HUMPS I can keep it from bottoming out by switching the suspension all the way to sport.
Old 09-30-07, 05:44 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Had the clunk issue on our '04 and per the TSB, they replaced the driveshaft and rear trailing arms. Since then, the GX has never driven quite as smoothly. I'll have to try your suggestion.

BTW, we have also experienced leveling problems since the TSB fix. In August we loaded up the GX and headed to the airport. When we unloaded the passengers and luggage, the rear end was sky-high. This seemed normal and I figured the GX would let the air out at some point. We locked it up and when we came back a week later, it was still jacked up in the rear. It didn't level until I started the engine.

Then about a month ago, the air suspension failed and it was totally bottomed out. I couldn't drive it to the dealer at more than 30mph, as it was like riding a wild bronco. They replaced two rear leveling sensors that were seized.

I found that the rear leveling after a heavy load still does not lower the height until after you start the engine. Is this normal?? I thought it used to lower it at any time. Maybe I'm just getting it mixed up with my Lincoln Continental, which will increase or decrease the height, even when the car is not running.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-07, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Usually, when I shut off the engine, I can hear the air bleeding out.
Old 10-01-07, 09:22 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Usually, when I shut off the engine, I can hear the air bleeding out.
Same here... I get out of the car to get the kids out, and it usually starts dropping as I'm opening the rear door...
Old 10-10-07, 05:01 PM
spirolli
Driver School Candidate

Again, like many of you, since I've had the "clunk" repaired I have noticed how the rear of the truck is riding hard. There's definitely a problem.

I can substantiate that flipping the height adjustment switch first from N to Low (note: watch how long it takes to go from blinking green to solid green), then from Low to N and then N to Hi and then back to N, does certainly help the ride quality.

I have also noticed that when you initially switch to Low from the N position, the light goes from blinking green to solid green in only a few seconds. This leads me to believe that the gas shocks in the rear of the truck are pretty much empty in terms of air, which certainly would account for the harsh ride and why the senario above (refilling the shock with air, improves the ride)Watch how long it takes to fill the shocks with air when you go from N to H.

Once you've completely cycled through the L, N, H and back to N position for normal driving, you can confirm this theory by going back to L from the N position and timing how long it takes to go from the blinking green to a solid green. If it takes longer then it initially did the first time around, then you know the shock had less air then it should resulting in a harsh ride.

Now I have to try and prove it to the dealership.......

Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 10-11-07, 07:03 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by spirolli
Can anyone else confirm this?
I haven't actually timed it, but I have noticed that it goes from "N" to "L" very quickly (say 5 seconds) and from "N" to "H" seems to take an eternity... Your theory makes sense to me... I think I will use it when I talk to my service advisor as well... Thanks!
Old 10-15-07, 02:18 PM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by Salvator
I haven't actually timed it, but I have noticed that it goes from "N" to "L" very quickly (say 5 seconds) and from "N" to "H" seems to take an eternity... Your theory makes sense to me... I think I will use it when I talk to my service advisor as well... Thanks!
OK... I timed it yesterday...

N to L (with harsh ride) = 4 seconds

L to N = 7 seconds

N to H = 19 seconds

H to N = 9 seconds

N to L = 7 seconds...

So... 3 additional seconds to go from N to L, after cycling... seems like the theory is right... the air springs are underinflated, even though the indicator says you are at "N"... I'll have to experiment some more with this, and then take it in... even my wife is beginning to notice the rough ride...
Old 10-15-07, 03:27 PM
2003LC
Driver School Candidate

I am looking at buying a 08 with KDSS, yep, they have to order it. Is the 08 model subject to the same clunk problem or did they fix that?

Thanks

Eric
Old 10-16-07, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Salvator, I hope your dealer find a fix. Here is what I been doing. At stop, I put the rear suspension to high and just leave it there. When I drive off, it will go back to N and the ride will be good for a while. Its more of a band aid not a fix.
Old 10-16-07, 07:31 AM
Salvator
Driver

Salvator, I hope your dealer find a fix. Here is what I been doing. At stop, I put the rear suspension to high and just leave it there. When I drive off, it will go back to N and the ride will be good for a while. Its more of a band aid not a fix.

That's a good idea... easy enough to do that while waiting at a light...

Still, it's one of those "shouldn't have to" things... If my dealer comes back with something, I'll be sure to post it...
Old 10-16-07, 07:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I know we shouldnt have to do this, but it works. Until I find a better fix, this is what I have been doing so far. I always thought that the GX bleeds out the air everytime it is shut off. In theory, each time you start the car, it should pump up to the right height. Obviously, this is not happening.
Old 10-21-07, 11:20 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know we shouldnt have to do this, but it works. Until I find a better fix, this is what I have been doing so far. I always thought that the GX bleeds out the air everytime it is shut off. In theory, each time you start the car, it should pump up to the right height. Obviously, this is not happening.
I'm starting to use the "cycle through the heights" to smooth out my ride. I've noticed that the air pump runs less often when parking than it used to. I'm wondering if there's a "sticky" height sensor that I could free up somehow... Time to start digging around under the truck.
Old 11-08-07, 11:45 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

Great fix (or ideas) on the harsh ride... but we seemed to run off track on the vibration in the drivetrain when starting out with your wheels turned. I experience this always and is very frustrating. And it does seem like an old-school 4wd system engaged on dry pavement. Took to the dealer- you'd swear they look at you like you're crazy. Any ideas? I had the clunk fixed a year ago, but I think that this has been doing it forever. Sorry for the interruption!

Quick Reply: Intermittent Poor Ride