GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Boss Aftermarket 20's - now Shaking/Unbalanced Feel

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 06:35 AM
begone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boss Aftermarket 20's - now Shaking/Unbalanced Feel

We just put on these Boss 20's with 285/50's on them and now the car shakes at anything above 50 mph. I've gotten them balanced 2 times yesterday. I guess with these rims and Lexus setup there are no Hub Rings that will fit. We are going to try ET Lugnuts (Acorn shaped) to see if that helps out. Others have mentioned that it may be the General UHP's that we put on there. I have UHP Exclaims on the M3 and they are perfect - but maybe this type of General Tire really is crap. Anyone have similar experiences? If so what did you do? Thanks.
Old 08-22-07, 10:28 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im not sure what balancing machine was used on yours, but whenever i need my wheels/tires balanced I always make sure it's a Hunter brand balancer. They are brand used by toyota/lexus dealerships.

If that doesn't help, id try the lugnuts maybe?

Good luck
Dan
Old 08-22-07, 04:14 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately make sure that it's a Hunter...they are the best! And make sure that they are seated and torqued correctly. If everything is not perfect (this goes for factory wheels too) you will feel it on the freeway.

I have 22" Boss 313's and have not had any issues with vibrations at any speed. It's not the wheel, it's the balance.

PS...let's see some pics!!!!

Old 08-23-07, 07:57 PM
begone
Rookie

Originally Posted by cmarshack
Definately make sure that it's a Hunter...they are the best! And make sure that they are seated and torqued correctly. If everything is not perfect (this goes for factory wheels too) you will feel it on the freeway.

I have 22" Boss 313's and have not had any issues with vibrations at any speed. It's not the wheel, it's the balance.

PS...let's see some pics!!!!

Well, I would love to but I have to warn you it's the same wheels you have on Ash Blue. Sorry man, we couldn't resist - we went with the 20's on 285/50's. And the culprit was ONE crappy General UHP Tire that was causing all the problems. I just said ditch ALL of them and we went with the Yoko Prada's - WAY better ride and no more vibration. We probably should not have gotten the General Tires, but I have the General Exclaims on the M3 and they are awesome. Lots of the M guys are running these - so I said hey why not on the GX - that was not a good move.

FYI - this is NOT my GX. I do all the car purchasing for my family and this is my Mother-in-law's ride - I set up the deals and they sign. My wife and I drive an Aviator, M3 and my Money Pitt - a 97 Supra. My mother-in-law is 56 and does not like to have her cars look like anyone else's....she LOVES these wheels and the way the car looks. Crazy huh!

Old 08-25-07, 08:09 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!!!!

I am glad that you got the tire issue worked out.

Old 08-25-07, 08:16 AM
begone
Rookie

Originally Posted by cmarshack
Very nice!!!!

I am glad that you got the tire issue worked out.

Thanks! And thanks for the inspiration on the Wheels. It's very hard to choose a wheel that is not too overstated for a Luxury Vehicle of this type. Chrome's always nice, but there's definately something different about the Black Chrome that people just have to ask. Also, not many people have these types of wheels and finish on a Lexus - that's what we were going for. Again, thanks for all your pics. Later.