GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

08 GX now on Lexus.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 12:14 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The roof rack is only chrome in the middle, the end caps are still color keyed, looks kind of strange if you have a dark color.
Whats up with the red, IMO, red just dont look right on a GX. I guess I will reserve my final opinion until I see a red GX in real life.
Yeah it's hard to tell in the pics what's going on with the roof rack. Plus the '08 announcment said there'd be a "new dark metallic finish on the front grille", I can't tell any difference.
Old 08-22-07, 12:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I didnt see the chome bar on the roof rack until I went to the Lexus website, there is a dark color 08 there.
Old 08-22-07, 02:31 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
.... When I 1st heard the 08 will have clear tail lights. I was thinking the whole tail light would be clear, like on the RX350.
LOL But thank God they didn't, because that looks like some cheap-@$$ ricer part from Pep Boys. IMO, clear tail lights are so played out it's pathetic.

Re: the start button, it'd be okay if they do a keyless start button, but I find the ones where you insert the key THEN press the button utterly moronic. Fortunately most of those have been replaced with the newer, more modern "Hulkomania" version that works as follows:
1. get in the car and insert the "key"
2. get out and walk to the front of the vehicle
3. tear off your shirt
4. wind up your arm and put your hand to your ear with an expectant look on your face
5. wait just another second for dramatic effect... THEN the engine starts like magic!

Old 08-23-07, 11:27 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the changes for 08 are even more cosmetic than for 07. In 07 they at least upgraded the Nav to Lexus current generation and the sound system to one only 5 years behind the times.

Personally I could live without the pushbutton starter/auto door unlock for a truck. (Funny story - my sister in law and her husband bought Lo-Jack for their Toyota because they thought that anybody could just push the door button from outside and open it - they had no idea that you had to be close with the key and the salesman didn't bother to tell them. She was amazed when I demonstrated the proximity requirement). I do wish it was easier and cheaper to have more backup keys though.

As far as the HI/LOW gear transfer case - I definitely wanted HI/LOW gear option as well as locking differentials, but I would have been happy with a switch on the dashboard. That gear stick shakes all the time, which I find annoying; it doesn't have a positive feel when it locks into place; and it takes up all kinds of room and gets in the way of wires and stuff.

It looks like 08 is a yawner - be curious to see what the 09 brings.
Old 08-23-07, 04:48 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pump142
unreal that it still has a key and a cassette deck
The secret to Lexus reliability. Make change infrequently. very, very infrequently.

I have been waiting for years for the GX to be updated. The interior is so 1980's expecially with a cassette deck and Toyota buttons.

Actually the RX, GX, and LX, are way behind the competition.

IS, ES, GS, LS, are doing fine.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 08-23-07 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-24-07, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I rather have reliability than the latest gadget that is unreliable.
Old 08-24-07, 08:14 AM
ahc21ahc
Rookie

When I first saw the GX at the NY Auto Show, I thought it was way behind the times. Then I realized that's probably a good thing and means it's realiable and built to last using yesterday's (higher) standards. Most things we buy now a days are designed to be low cost (cheap - made in China) and last no more than a few years. I just bought a new computer and was determined to only get Windows XP. I'd rather have proven technology with all the bugs fixed than the latest and greatest, but littered with bugs.

I kinda wish I didn't get Nav with my GX now because if something breaks in 10 years, Nav would be one of the most expensive to replace (along with engine and transmission). I'm sure in 10 years time, there will be amazing electronics selling for a few hundred dollars, while a the decade old Nav from Lexus will be $5K to replace.
Old 08-24-07, 09:01 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ahc21ahc
When I first saw the GX at the NY Auto Show, I thought it was way behind the times. Then I realized that's probably a good thing and means it's realiable and built to last using yesterday's (higher) standards. Most things we buy now a days are designed to be low cost (cheap - made in China) and last no more than a few years. I just bought a new computer and was determined to only get Windows XP. I'd rather have proven technology with all the bugs fixed than the latest and greatest, but littered with bugs.

I kinda wish I didn't get Nav with my GX now because if something breaks in 10 years, Nav would be one of the most expensive to replace (along with engine and transmission). I'm sure in 10 years time, there will be amazing electronics selling for a few hundred dollars, while a the decade old Nav from Lexus will be $5K to replace.
With Torsen differential, air suspensions, touch screen navigation, and optional KDSS, you think the GX was "way behind the times"? This is a truck you know. Please let me know a truck based SUV has more practical stuffs than GX and I will go for a test drive.

In case the radio/CD in your 95 ES broke, will you go get a iPod instead of fixing it?
Old 08-24-07, 10:26 AM
ahc21ahc
Rookie

Originally Posted by super_cjc
With Torsen differential, air suspensions, touch screen navigation, and optional KDSS, you think the GX was "way behind the times"? This is a truck you know. Please let me know a truck based SUV has more practical stuffs than GX and I will go for a test drive.

In case the radio/CD in your 95 ES broke, will you go get a iPod instead of fixing it?
I was referring to the cassette deck, non-flat folding 3rd row seats, CD changer in the glove box that couldn't play MP3 (pre-2007 model), older gen nav system (again, pre-2007 model), complicated 2nd row fold and stow mechanism, barn door, manual 3rd row windows, etc. You get the picture.

And no, if the CD/radio in my ES broke, I wouldn't replace it. But the Nav on the GX controls the climate. How do I change the temperature w/o the Nav unit?

Of course, I love the GX. I don't plan to part with it for a very long time!
Old 08-24-07, 04:25 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The one thing that pisses me off is you would think Lexus would have fixed the thump issue by now..............800 miles on an 07 and the thump is ALIVE. (Had the TSB done on my 04 and it worked flawlessly for 30k miles, why not use the same hardware on the TSB for the new trucks?)
Old 08-25-07, 11:19 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jugdish
The one thing that pisses me off is you would think Lexus would have fixed the thump issue by now..............800 miles on an 07 and the thump is ALIVE. (Had the TSB done on my 04 and it worked flawlessly for 30k miles, why not use the same hardware on the TSB for the new trucks?)
That is really strange, considering we were led to believe that the backorder on the parts was due to production for the 07 model. I'm eager to hear from new owners of the 08!
Old 08-25-07, 12:13 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

The only thing I can say I would expect would be the headlights and tail lights to be a little different, and the tail lights are so that makes sense.......a lot of you are treating this as a brand new model.....it's just a truck in the end of it's life cycle, they're not going to go putting all sorts of gadgets into an old vehicle. They're saving all the fun stuff for the next generation GX which makes all the sense. And why not have the cassette deck still there? it's not hurting anybody is it? Oh and I like the new wood trim =)
Old 09-12-07, 10:07 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Why don't they put the KDSS as an option when you build one on Lexus.com?
Old 09-17-07, 02:42 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jacksonian
Why don't they put the KDSS as an option when you build one on Lexus.com?
I know, pretty darn dumb. Maybe they realize there is no sense competing with an X5 or MDX for handling.

It is only available in certain parts of the country. Change your zip code to Colorado, it might pop up then.
Old 09-17-07, 06:54 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I didn't know it wasn't available everywhere. Are they doing a "sport" version this year with the KDSS and the special interior?

Quick Reply: 08 GX now on Lexus.com