GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Socal GX'ers - Recommendation for Off-Road Camping

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 02:40 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Socal GX'ers - Recommendation for Off-Road Camping

So now that I've had my GX for a few months I'd like to test it out on some dirt. Anyone in Southern California know of any good off-road camping spots? I've found a place called Crab Flats in Big Bear that looks promising.

Thanks
Old 08-07-07, 03:03 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where do you live? There's Hungry Valley if you're looking to do some camping locally.

That's where Land Rover takes their customers for off roading.

Dan
Old 08-07-07, 03:12 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
Where do you live? There's Hungry Valley if you're looking to do some camping locally.

That's where Land Rover takes their customers for off roading.

Dan
I live in Marina Del Rey... ideally I'd like to do a Sat -> Sun trip which should cover just about anywhere in Socal that I can get to in 3-4 hours.
Old 08-07-07, 03:25 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Big Bear would be ideal (better trails), but you may only be able to go on the easy trails if you're on stock tires and running boards attached.

Hungry Valley would be more ideal for a 100% stock rig.
They have little areas you can test articulation, and lots of short trails.

However I recommend you remove your running boards anytime you go off roading.
Old 08-07-07, 05:00 PM
stormj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoung88
I live in Marina Del Rey... ideally I'd like to do a Sat -> Sun trip which should cover just about anywhere in Socal that I can get to in 3-4 hours.
There are several wonderful places in the High Desert. I can think of two different areas. First, in the Victor Valley area, there is an off-road park immediately off I-15 between Victorville and Barstow. Also in that area is "Deep Creek," which is accessible off of Bowen Ranch Road. (Beware strange commune people and nudists.) There are also a number of roads that go between Apple Valley, Lucerne Valley and the Big Bear area that are a good test for the GX. Not having been there in a while, you could also try state highway 173 between Hesperia and Blue Jay (may have been washed out in the rains a few years back). There are camping areas near the 173 along the main road.

Another great area is the BLM annex to Joshua Tree National Park near Yucca Valley, closer to Palm Springs, but still doable in a long day trip in combination with the other places I've mentioned.

You can camp there (no facilities) and drive around in pretty open dirt. I did that many, many times in college. Quite a blast.

There are also some excellent trails around Lake Edison on the Western Slope of the Sierra Nevada beyond Fresno.

You will find as you get into more serious off roading that ground clearance, moreso, really, than 4WD is a big, big issue. The extra inch or so in the GX's suspension on high doesn't really cut it most of the time. I would avoid anything that's too gnarly or meant for quads and dune buggys. Other than that, I've had no problems with mine, even in fairly deep water.

Enjoy.

(I bought the GX because I needed a capable off road vehicle as well. It's award-winning off-road prowess is not overrated)
Old 08-08-07, 08:56 PM
gperrylaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a place called azusa canyon it is about 5 river crossing and lots of mud and some hills to play around in I have a gx 470 and have taken it there a couple of times and it is lots of fun. You can take the 210 freeway and exist on azusa road and go on san gabriel canyon road for about 5-8 miles and u will see the entrance

Last edited by gperrylaw; 08-08-07 at 11:12 PM.