GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What Front Tint to Match Factory Tinted Rears?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 11:12 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
i did madico 20% and it is a dead on match inside and out :P
You have an IS though not a GX right?
Old 08-16-07, 02:02 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by pump142
can I ask why you would tint front and not rears?
Is your goal the looks or heat rejection / interior protection?
Mostly looks. Unless the wife decides that the kids' recent complaints that it is sometimes hot/sunny in the back pushes us to get all windows done. Also b/c doing the rears means making the fronts darker... and would like to stay legal or close (FL fronts 28%) and not have the fronts be too different than the rears.

Thing about doing the rears that turns me off is that the windows become total blackout like you mentioned .... unless I was to use something like 50% rear with the ~25% factory tint (.5 * .25 = 12.5% would be fine) and something like a 20% in the front with the ~70% tint that comes on the front supposedly (.2 * .7 = 14%). So this might be an approach I am considering if I do them all. Again though, puts fronts pretty illegal for FL.

Also, I hear people say that the rear factory tint offers little/no UV or heat rejection. Is this confirmed? I know the front 70% windows say "UV" on them but I do not see this label on the rears.

Last edited by GatorGX; 08-17-07 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 04:40 PM
shodog
Rookie

Originally Posted by GatorGX

Also, I hear people say that the rear factory tint offers little/no UV or heat rejection. Is this confirmed?
I am postive that they block UV and here's why. I have transitions lenses in my prescription eye glasses. When I put them up to the window with the sun shining they don't darken. roll the window down and they go dark within 15 seconds
Old 08-17-07, 06:04 PM
pump142
Driver

ok yes that is the film they applied.

cool on doing it for looks. where Im at its for survival.
I like the "blackout" in the rear so nobody sees what Im haulin. Its actually not that dark at nite. you see thru it fine from inside.

the rear isnt tint at all, its privacy glass. means makes it harder to see you and have minimal to no heat rejection or uv protectant.
when you tint you can feel the difference in some real heat
Old 08-19-07, 12:21 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

GatorGreg, did you get yours tinted yet?
Old 09-18-07, 02:34 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

Default Green Hue?

I posted something similar in the "Lorenzo Tint" thread but this is maybe a better spot...

I recently tinted the fronts with Suntek Carbon 35% and there is a green hue now when looking from the outside. I may look to change to 3M CS 35% (like the Lorenzo Tint thread said) if it won't have the green hue. I have since read elsewhere that the GX's green tinted factory front glass is the culprit but some films do a better job it seems of hiding the green hue of the factory glass.

If you tinted your front GX windows, do they have a green hue after doing it?

Here is my post on tintdude.com where I got some good info after having the Suntek Carbon 35% put on...
http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37015

I also have a page from Lexus that I will scan in at some point. It shows the light transmission and the UV protection for all of our GX glass.
Old 09-18-07, 09:28 PM
pump142
Driver

Perfect, thanks for checking pump. Do you think the 32% front would have matched the factory privacy glass rears pretty decently had you just done the fronts?
color wise yes, but i think the privacy glass wasnt as dark as the 32% IIRC when they did it.
Old 09-18-07, 09:29 PM
pump142
Driver

Originally Posted by daleer
Thanks pump! So that's the actual films they used - not the percentages it came out to after application right? Cause I know that the rears are already tinited so if you throw 22% on there - it's going to come out to less than 22%. Just want to make sure I understand correctly. So you had the 22% film applied to the second AND third row windows - and the 32% applied to the front row correct?
Thanks again.
correct-a-mundo
Old 09-19-07, 11:29 AM
GatorGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by pump142
color wise yes, but i think the privacy glass wasnt as dark as the 32% IIRC when they did it.
So no green hue to your front windows with your 32% Solarguard Metalized HPC film?
Old 10-11-07, 07:24 PM
GatorGX
Rookie

I posted something similar in the "Lorenzo Tint" thread but this is maybe a better spot...

I recently tinted the fronts with Suntek Carbon 35% and there is a green hue now when looking from the outside. I may look to change to 3M CS 35% (like the Lorenzo Tint thread said) if it won't have the green hue. I have since read elsewhere that the GX's green tinted factory front glass is the culprit but some films do a better job it seems of hiding the green hue of the factory glass.

If you tinted your front GX windows, do they have a green hue after doing it?

Here is my post on tintdude.com where I got some good info after having the Suntek Carbon 35% put on...
http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37015

I also have a page from Lexus that I will scan in at some point. It shows the light transmission and the UV protection for all of our GX glass.
Hey guys. I guess we are gonna just live with the slightly greenish hue with the front tint on our GX. The shop I got it done at no longer uses 3M CS and I decided it was not worth the hassle. Anyway, I attached a doc that Lexus Tech Support faxed me that shows the VLT and UV reduction of the factory Lexus GX glass. It is valid for all year GX's (at least 2003-2007 and probably 2008 I assume). It mentions the green factory tint for the front windows, btw. I thought that it might be useful to some of you guys.
Attached Thumbnails What Front Tint to Match Factory Tinted Rears?-gx470_factory_tint_a.jpg