GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Will 24"x9" rims fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 11:14 AM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 24"x9" rims fit?

I realize this is another big rim topic, but i don't see alot of info on a 24" rim working on our GX's. I see 24" rims on cars around here, and was wondering if anybody has tinkered with trying to put 24"s on their GX? If so, what offset was used? And what tire size was used? Did you have to go with a 24x9 or did youmanage to get a 24x9.5 or 10" rim to fit?

Other wise i guess my only option will be a 22"x9"

thanks
Old 03-14-07, 12:52 PM
bzliteyear
Driver School Candidate

don't do this to yourself...oversized rims do not improve the ride/handling. although some people think this looks good, it's a very trendy phenenom that i compare to music personalities who who wear giant gold chains around their neck and some people copying that. pretty soon though, smart people recognize it for what it is, a desire to attract attention because there's no real substance,
Old 03-14-07, 01:44 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
don't do this to yourself...oversized rims do not improve the ride/handling. although some people think this looks good, it's a very trendy phenenom that i compare to music personalities who who wear giant gold chains around their neck and some people copying that. pretty soon though, smart people recognize it for what it is, a desire to attract attention because there's no real substance,
I suppose you could say that about just owning such a nice vehical, stock.

Your big rim "phenenom" has been groing strong for over 20 years now. I remember saying, 'wow, 16's'. Now the GX i bought came stock with 17's?
Lincoln is 20's or 22's the same with Caddy, and Dodge is 20' or 22's also?

Get real....you desired a little attention yourself when you bought your Lexus. Give me any excuse you want, every body has one. But the truth is there wether you want to admit it or not.
Old 03-14-07, 06:19 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

If you do it, I'd be interested in seeing what they look like. I had 22's on my Suburban and really liked them. But have not decided to do anything to the GX yet but I do not like the 17" OEM that's for sure.
Old 03-14-07, 08:50 PM
cjones4640
Driver

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
it's a very trendy phenenom that i compare to music personalities who who wear giant gold chains around their neck
Man..what year are you in? video/music box dont come on anymore i dont think.....ohhhh I think you must have mistaken Mr. T's "I Pity The Fool"..for a rap video...lololololol
Old 03-14-07, 08:58 PM
shodog
Rookie

Nothing screams Get Toe like big wheels with rubber band tires. Your ride will suffer, your brakes are going to hate your boat anchor wheels and your wallet is going to be screamin when you have to replace the tires.

But to each their own, if that's what floats your boat then so be it.
Old 03-14-07, 09:52 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcc1975
If you do it, I'd be interested in seeing what they look like. I had 22's on my Suburban and really liked them. But have not decided to do anything to the GX yet but I do not like the 17" OEM that's for sure.
I was hoping some one else on here might have took the plunge first. I even checked car domain, and the biggest anybody rolls there are 22's also.
Old 03-14-07, 10:11 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I'm sure it can be done, however you would be looking at a really slim sidewall (something to think about with regards to bumps)
Old 03-15-07, 09:20 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

here is a pic of ias 's GX on 24's

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1124068725

More Pics HERE

ok since everyone is giving there opinion on big rim's esp. the people in the GX forum who keep on hatin or saying dont do it, its bad , yada. yada
people get over it, having big rims is a style and some people think its a must like myself...the stock 17s are horrible and way to small for this truck

bzliteyear - FYI large rims will improve ur handling..as for the ride..any BIG RIM should be using a BBK + coilover suspension..after that ur ride quality would be fine if not better then stock..and dont assume ur comment about attention is correct for all people..i could give a ***** on having attention, i do it for my personal style and to me this truck needs 20s stock..look at all the new trucks coming out..most have 22" STOCK now

shodog - common sense yes off course the smaller ur side wall the more the ride will suck, but like i said before the rims should be peoples last mod,after the BBK and suspension mods...

Dont knock the big rims cause if done right you can make it better then stock and as far as assuming that people's wallets will be "screaming" , i doubt it.. for one i dont carry a wallet and if i got a flat every dam week, i would buy a new tire everytime rather then using those dam ugly 17" stock rims... if ur "wallet screams" when it comes to Rims\Tires maybe you should stick with those 17s and call it a day
Old 03-15-07, 10:10 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaMsGS3
ok since everyone is giving there opinion on big rim's esp. the people in the GX forum who keep on hatin or saying dont do it, its bad , yada. yada
people get over it, having big rims is a style and some people think its a must like myself...the stock 17s are horrible and way to small for this truck
Like you said, it's an opinion - nothing more, nothing less. You are entitled to yours, and I am entitled to mine. Mine is not a positive one - I don't like the looks of giant rims on SUVs...not just the GX, but any SUV.
I just don't get the point. Yes, I look the looks of larger wheels and lower profile tires on a car (up to a certain point before the proportions start to get ridiculous), but not on an SUV.
No matter what anyone has to say, they aren't going to a 24" wheel for handling purposes. You could make improvements inthe handling without going to that extreme. A 24" wheel on an SUV is all about looks for 99.9% of the people who do it. You said it yourself - "It's a style."
No matter what wheels you buy, an SUV is never going to be a sports car. For that reason, I also own a sports car. Hell, for the price some people spend on a set of wheels and tires, they could buy a little sports car that would run circles around any SUV all day long.
Old 03-15-07, 10:23 AM
bzliteyear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rainmn
Like you said, it's an opinion - nothing more, nothing less. You are entitled to yours, and I am entitled to mine. Mine is not a positive one - I don't like the looks of giant rims on SUVs...not just the GX, but any SUV...No matter what wheels you buy, an SUV is never going to be a sports car. For that reason, I also own a sports car. Hell, for the price some people spend on a set of wheels and tires, they could buy a little sports car that would run circles around any SUV all day long.
i couldn't agree with you more. i would wear running shoes for running and basketball shoes for basketball...i wouldn't buy a pair of crosstrainers to do both. i think having a sports car is nice for fun, and then buy the SUV for comfort. we used to own a BMW X5 4.4i V8 with the 19" wheels...it was dumb. stiff, uncomfortable, too jerky to accelerate smoothly from stop, etc... even though it cornered better than many cars, who cares? the trade-off wasn't worth it. that's why we're currently driving a mercedes E320 wagon and why we're considering the GX470...both for comfort and 7 passenger seating.
Old 03-15-07, 11:04 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shoes are a great analogy.
I've got the GX for general purpose duty and hauling the family around. It handles perfectly fine for that, and I don't need it to handle any better or ride any rougher.
When I want to have fun, I have a Porsche 993 cabrio. (Which, by the way, has only 17" wheels.)
I don't try and take turns at high speed in the Lexus, and I don't try and fit my Mastiff in the Porsche. Works for me.
Old 03-15-07, 12:29 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I also agree. Most people buy Lexus for ride comfort, why change the wheels and give up that comfortable ride, why not just buy a X5 or something. I would never understand people who buy a Lexus and change the rim to a point where the ride is no longer comfortable or poeple who change the exhaust system to a free flow system to make a Lexus sound like a Mustang. To me, Lexus is suppose to have a comfortable and quiet ride.
Old 03-15-07, 01:23 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link CaMsGS3. I can't belive he was able to stuff a 24x10" rim in there. I would first assume it would rub on turns, i suppose it would depend of his offset of the rim. So a 24x9.5 with a shallow offset would probably work just as well.
Thinking about it I might want to stick with just a 22x9.5 or 22x10 rim. Though i did love the looks of ias's GX.

Just need to add a little style to my luxury.

BTW anybody post up a link to some BBK's that will fit our GX's? Thanks I'd appreciate it.
I enjoy reading everybody opinions and feedbacks on this big rim topic.
I thought the shoe analogy was interesting, though off topic. To add to your analology, i would still have the stock rim and tire combo. Just like in basketball, i would change my shoes in the winter, then change them back in the summer. I suppose your same analogy, compare to mine would be ' why buy a pair of Nike's latest $150.00 dollar running shoe when you could buy a good running shoe on clearance just because its out dated and an old style? Do you need the expensive Jordans? Or will old school Converse do the trick?

Its not the shoe that makes you a better performer, and certainly not the rim.
Old 03-15-07, 02:29 PM
bzliteyear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ohmy05'
To add to your analology, i would still have the stock rim and tire combo. Just like in basketball, i would change my shoes in the winter, then change them back in the summer. I suppose your same analogy, compare to mine would be ' why buy a pair of Nike's latest $150.00 dollar running shoe when you could buy a good running shoe on clearance just because its out dated and an old style? Do you need the expensive Jordans? Or will old school Converse do the trick?

Its not the shoe that makes you a better performer, and certainly not the rim.
i think you're missing the point, and also mixing up the analogy. if you want to continue w/ shoes...yes, i used to have basketball shoes for outdoors and different for indoors. i have no problem w/ getting the BEST shoes, if it actually helps with the purpose - that's what you have to define for your car.

imho, you're confusing more expensive w/ better. i have no problems with buying more expensive wheels - i have lorinser wheels on my mercerdes...but there's a purpose to it(lighter and better performing w/o ruining the ride or the shocks), and it's balanced visually. we've all seen really big muscle guys huge chest and biceps and how funny they look with twiggy legs. from my observation on lexus owners, the 20"+ wheels on a GX470 doesn't add to the "purpose" of this car for most people. don't take my word for it...just ask yourself how you feel about prior fads like wheel spinners, gold kits, and dangling dice on the mirror. in the near future, there's no doubt in my mind that oversized/visually imbalanced wheels combo on SUVs will be in the same categories as the gold kits. my $.02.

Quick Reply: Will 24"x9" rims fit?