GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Will 24"x9" rims fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 12:59 AM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the 24"s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-07, 04:50 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohmy05'
BTW anybody post up a link to some BBK's that will fit our GX's? Thanks I'd appreciate it.
Ahh that is the question of the week, i have been asking around, i dont think they have any available for the GX..and if thats the case i might have to stick with 20's... If anyone has any info on BBK please post
Old 03-16-07, 07:53 AM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
i think you're missing the point, and also mixing up the analogy. if you want to continue w/ shoes...yes, i used to have basketball shoes for outdoors and different for indoors. i have no problem w/ getting the BEST shoes, if it actually helps with the purpose - that's what you have to define for your car.

imho, you're confusing more expensive w/ better. i have no problems with buying more expensive wheels - i have lorinser wheels on my mercerdes...but there's a purpose to it(lighter and better performing w/o ruining the ride or the shocks), and it's balanced visually. we've all seen really big muscle guys huge chest and biceps and how funny they look with twiggy legs. from my observation on lexus owners, the 20"+ wheels on a GX470 doesn't add to the "purpose" of this car for most people. don't take my word for it...just ask yourself how you feel about prior fads like wheel spinners, gold kits, and dangling dice on the mirror. in the near future, there's no doubt in my mind that oversized/visually imbalanced wheels combo on SUVs will be in the same categories as the gold kits. my $.02.
Your killin' me.
Your absolutely wrong about not adding purpose. My personal purpose would be for style. Anybody else can fill in with whatever purpose they feel fit.

Funny how you try and justify your own purpose. Since when does a rim have an effect on a shock? And how does the rim actually perform better than the stock one? I know, I know ..."its lighter" like hundreds of other 3-piece and ricer styled rims. But isn't it the tire where your going to see alot of your performance? Oh and your last justification, "its balanced visually". In your vision i'm sure it is. If that were my Mercedes i might think visually 20x9 up front and 22x10 in rear would balance the vehical. But its not.

And that is the point I'm talking about, visual balance. Kinda catchy
Now will my GX look visually balanced with 22's or 24's hmmmm, decisions, decisions.......
Old 03-16-07, 08:05 AM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaMsGS3
Ahh that is the question of the week, i have been asking around, i dont think they have any available for the GX..and if thats the case i might have to stick with 20's... If anyone has any info on BBK please post
If you can find an aftermarket drilled and slotted rotor, then that will help out substancially. Rolling mass is the hardest to stop. And if we cannot find a BBK then at least we can keep our rotors cooled down. Not like i'll be racing, but it's good to be able to stop hard from interstate speeds without warping a rotor or icing up a brake pad. Oh yeah i also use expensive hard abrasive ceramic rotors.

Might hit the Brembo site later and see what they have to offer
Old 03-16-07, 12:51 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would imagine these would work on the GX.

http://www.rotora.com/press%20release/SEQUOIA.pdf
Old 03-16-07, 03:06 PM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I would imagine these would work on the GX.

http://www.rotora.com/press%20release/SEQUOIA.pdf

Wow those are nice. But why does their application say up to 04'? Is there a difference in later models after 2004?
Old 03-16-07, 04:42 PM
shodog
Rookie

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big wheel hater. I have 19's on my G35 and I love the look.

IMO big wheels with street tires look lame on a 4X4 SUV. Around here in the bay area, just about every ghetto thug thinks he's rollin hard with big wheels on their hoopty a$$ explorers, navigators, tahoes, monteros, and sportages. Not to mention all the ex taxi caprice classics.

The GX is a classy SUV, don't tard it up with big heavy wheels

As for expense, I guess it is all relative but tires at $500+ a piece is pricey for me.
Old 03-17-07, 06:36 AM
Sammzway
Rookie

Those 24's look way too big. IMO I think 22's are big enough because of the fact that our GX's are narrow. 24X9.5 or 24X10 looks good on wider trucks such as Escalade or Navigators. I'd stick to 22's.
Old 03-17-07, 09:34 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

I'm with shodog. Why buy a true off-roader (latter-frame, low-range, solid rear-axle, locking center-diff) and neuter it with big rims and street tires. I would have thought you would have bought an X5 or the like, which is actually more purposeful and apt to accomodate large rims?
Old 03-17-07, 09:47 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bgsntth
I'm with shodog. Why buy a true off-roader (latter-frame, low-range, solid rear-axle, locking center-diff) and neuter it with big rims and street tires. I would have thought you would have bought an X5 or the like, which is actually more purposeful and apt to accomodate large rims?
Why? Because i love lexus cars, this will be my 4 lexus in about 9yrs...NOT ONE was ever in the shop for problems.. I think BMW is horrible..My good friend had a 06 x5 4.4, he car was in the shop at least 1once a month, no BS... the best was when his doors would not open (from the remote, there are not keyholes are any doors) and had to call a locksmith, payed $250 & BMW would not even reimburse him on that

The RX is too small, and i dont really like the style of the LX...and like the GX but those 17s are horrible and way to small for that truck...at least make them 19 or 20s
Old 03-17-07, 02:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I say go for the 26" rims or get a lift kit and put some 40" rims in there.
Old 03-17-07, 02:31 PM
bgsntth
Rookie

Because you could not get here with 19"-24" rims.

Heck I have 17" rims on my Porsche Cayman.
Attached Thumbnails Will 24"x9" rims fit?-ridge-over-doud-ck.jpg  
Old 03-17-07, 10:52 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I say go for the 26" rims or get a lift kit and put some 40" rims in there.
I was wondering if anyone had heard if we would be able to order the new about to be released later this year LX 570 larger wheels to be put on our GX's. If they're nicer, bigger, wheels and tires, I would love to order them from Lexus and have them backed by their warranty. Maybe jjbodean might know? I was hoping they might be 20 inch wheels with chrome and perhaps all season run flat tires.
Old 03-18-07, 08:53 AM
Ohmy05'
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=bgsntth;2490045]Because you could not get here with 19"-24" rims.

LMAO! again think about what you just said. Alot of 4wd's have larger rims/tires and go any where.
Old 03-18-07, 09:58 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Ohmy05';2491462]
Originally Posted by bgsntth
Because you could not get here with 19"-24" rims.

LMAO! again think about what you just said. Alot of 4wd's have larger rims/tires and go any where.
Not for very long tho, low profile tires have very little resistence to popping when going over rough terrain.

Dan

Quick Reply: Will 24"x9" rims fit?