GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Swapping the instrument cluster plastic covering: its VERY easy! (m)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 10:14 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping the instrument cluster plastic covering: its VERY easy! (m)

After my youngest daughter decided to "help" by dragging a dry paper towel across my instrument cluster i notice fine hazing and scratches. Novus plastic polish helped quite a bit, but I figured I'd do a bit of research into how hard it would be to swap the glass (plastic, actually).

Talk about easy. Took all of 10 minutes. Total cost: $28 or so plus shipping from lexus-parts.com. I ordered a rear rubber mat as well, so shipping wasn't an issue. The part number is 83852-6D040.
First, WASH YOUR HANDS AND CLEAN DUST FROM THE AREA- have a clean, lint free cotton cloth to hold things, wipe away dust, etc. Then, lower the steering wheel for easier access. CAREFULLY remove the 2 plastic screws from the upper black trim-sometimes they just "spin", so you may need to carefully pry them up, etc.

Then, pry off the short wood trim to the left of the steering wheel. A tape/cloth covered scraper/screwdriver takes 2 seconds. Next, pull of the trim surrounding the ignition key and then pull the lower dash section straight out with your fingertips (just above the ignition key). This releases the 2 plastic spring clips.

Now, the black bezel trim just pops out, revealing the cluster in all its glory. Rather than pull the cluster, I used a small magnetic screwdriver to undo the 2 small screws at the top. There are clips top and bottom. I found it easiest to gently release the 4 or so bottom ones with my
fingernail (push up in the back) and then pivot the plastic cover up, which releases the upper ones.

Check for dust inside and out and then install the new one, making sure to avoid fingerprints and dust, etc., especially on the inside. Re-install the screws (use a magnetic driver to start them, lest they fall behind the dash or who knows where) and snug them down. Remember, we' are working with soft plastic, so don't moose them!
Reinstallation is pretty much the reverse.
Total time: 15-20 minutes for a first timer. Probably 5-10 on a 2nd go 'round.
Results: Sparkling, clear cluster!

Hope this helps--

** UPDATE**

I took the old one and spent a good 15 minute with Novus plastic polish (first 3, then 2 and, finally, #1) Got it pretty clear. I'll keep it as a spare.

Jim

Last edited by JWS3; 06-01-06 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 10:37 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good post. Reminds me to change mine since it has a few lines in it when the sun is at just the right (or wrong) angle.
Old 05-31-06, 10:41 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWS3
After my youngest daughter decided to "help" by dragging a dry paper towel across my instrument cluster i notice fine hazing and scratches. Novus plastic polish helped quite a bit, but I figured I'd do a bit of research into how hard it would be to swap the glass (plastic, actually).

Talk about easy. Took all of 10 minutes. Total cost: $28 or so plus shipping from lexus-parts.com. I ordered a rear rubber mat as well, so shipping wasn't an issue.
First, WASH YOUR HANDS AND CLEAN DUST FROM THE AREA- have a clean, lint free cotton cloth to hold things, wipe away dust, etc. Then, lower the steering wheel for easier access. CAREFULLY remove the 2 plastic screws from the upper black trim-sometimes they just "spin", so you may need to carefully pry them up, etc.

Then, pry off the short wood trim to the left of the steering wheel. A tape/cloth covered scraper/screwdriver takes 2 seconds. Next, pull of the trim surrounding the ignition key and then pull the lower dash section straight out with your fingertips (just above the ignition key). This releases the 2 plastic spring clips.

Now, the black bezel trim just pops out, revealing the cluster in all its glory. Rather than pull the cluster, I used a small magnetic screwdriver to undo the 2 small screws at the top. There are clips top and bottom. I found it easiest to gently release the 4 or so bottom ones with my fingernail (push up in the back) and then pivot the plastic cover up, which releases the upper ones.
Check for dust inside and out and then install the new one, making sure to avoid fingerprints and dust, etc., especially on the inside. re-install the screws (use a magnetic driver to start them, lest they fall behind the dash or who knows where) and snug them down. Remember, we're in plastic,,so don't moose them!
Reinstallation is pretty much the reverse.
Total time: 10-15 minutes for a first timer. Probably 5-7 on a 2nd go 'round.
Results: Sparkling, clear cluster!

Hope this helps--

Jim
Great post!! Sounds great...
Old 06-01-06, 10:47 AM
trebien
Driver

My dealer accidently detailed the GX once, even after I requested they not. Sure enough, scratched cluster.

Where can I get the plastic polish? I've looked around at the usual car care places , but with no luck. I guess I'll have to go online. My temp readout area needs it, too.
Old 06-01-06, 11:12 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I got Novus from Amazon, but found that it didn't (m)

Originally Posted by trebien
My dealer accidently detailed the GX once, even after I requested they not. Sure enough, scratched cluster.

Where can I get the plastic polish? I've looked around at the usual car care places , but with no luck. I guess I'll have to go online. My temp readout area needs it, too.
look quite as good as a new cover piece. But--it does a very good job nonetheless and, if used with 100% cotton lint free wipes, will keep the displays looking great.

I'd replace the gauge cluster cover and carefully clean the temp gauge one.
Old 06-01-06, 11:48 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Meguiar's

First and foremost, nice job Jim!

I have read wonderful things about Meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish from people who've used them for headlight lenses. If they have done the trick for those beaters, they should work wonders on the cluster.

EDIT: Look in meguiars.com