GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Drivetrain Whine @ Highway Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 07:32 PM
frhill
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Drivetrain Whine @ Highway Speed

I've noticed this noise ever since I've bought my GX470 used -- I hear a slight whine from the drivetrain at about 65-70 mph and faster but only when the accelerator is pressed. The noise goes away when coasting. Curious if anyone else hears this on they GX.
Old 11-30-18, 05:29 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 05 GX (178k miles) and V8 4Runner (136k miles)... both make the exact same drivetrain whine at the same speeds you've indicated. I've changed both diff and transfer case fluids to 75w90 Mobil 1 Synthetic a few years ago, noticed no change in noise. I've written it off as being normal. I think you're fine, enjoy your GX!
The following users liked this post:
RockfordRX (11-30-18)
Old 12-11-18, 08:13 PM
frhill
Driver

thanks for the response mustangpro. I noticed the noise more after replacing my tires recently with Michelin Defender LTXs. I went ahead and had the differential oil changed (front, rear and transfer case). Still hear the noise, but I'll stop worrying -- closing in on 220K miles and getting ready to take a 1700 mile trip in the next couple days.
Old 02-23-20, 06:36 AM
jwminzen
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frhill
I've noticed this noise ever since I've bought my GX470 used -- I hear a slight whine from the drivetrain at about 65-70 mph and faster but only when the accelerator is pressed. The noise goes away when coasting. Curious if anyone else hears this on they GX.
Did you find the cause?
Old 02-24-20, 06:39 PM
frhill
Driver

I didn't. I have 236K on my GX now and still hear it. I don't think it hasn't gotten any worse. It's some what of an annoyance but I can turn the radio on a low volume and not hear the whine. I may have the Lexus dealership take it for a test drive the next time I have the oil changed.
Old 02-24-20, 06:52 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

maybe hi/lo shift in a poor position?
Old 03-03-20, 03:40 AM
frhill
Driver

Thanks, I tried that, but I don't think it made any difference.
Old 03-03-20, 09:10 AM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Fairly new GX owner here and thought it was tire noise when test driving and purchasing my 04 with 191k miles.
About 6k miles of use now by me in the last 4 months and I am now familiar enough with the truck to notice small differences.

Did notice a difference on a recent road trip, here is the situation.
Normal noise increases in pitch predictably with increase in speed. Sound gets a little louder and a little higher pitched as speed increases. But the thing I noticed was at freeway speeds on a long downhill section that was just steep enough down to almost maintain my speed, but occasionally needed a small input from the gas pedal (cruise) to keep up, so not always purely coasting downhill. (this was at 80-84mph)
The drive-train whine would clearly change in pitch and intensity as it went from completely coasting to the very slight throttle on input. Really no speed difference to note, just essentially keeping it going the same speed in either pure coast or very slight throttle.
Confirming to me that this is NOT just tire drone, but coming from the drive-train.

Plans for me are to change fluid in both F/R differentials and transfer case, plus want to add grease to the zerks on the drive-line as many have indicated here. Not sure if they did that at it's recent oil change/service at the Lexus dealership.
Will see if any of those affect the sound.
Old 03-04-20, 09:20 AM
jwminzen
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UtahMTB
Fairly new GX owner here and thought it was tire noise when test driving and purchasing my 04 with 191k miles.
About 6k miles of use now by me in the last 4 months and I am now familiar enough with the truck to notice small differences.

Normal noise increases in pitch predictably with increase in speed. Sound gets a little louder and a little higher pitched as speed increases. But the thing I noticed was at freeway speeds on a long downhill section that was just steep enough down to almost maintain my speed, but occasionally needed a small input from the gas pedal (cruise) to keep up, so not always purely coasting downhill. (this was at 80-84mph)
The drive-train whine would clearly change in pitch and intensity as it went from completely coasting to the very slight throttle on input. Really no speed difference to note, just essentially keeping it going the same speed in either pure coast or very slight throttle.
Confirming to me that this is NOT just tire drone, but coming from the drive-train.

Plans for me are to change fluid in both F/R differentials and transfer case, plus want to add grease to the zerks on the drive-line as many have indicated here. Not sure if they did that at it's recent oil change/service at the Lexus dealership.
You have described what I am experiencing as well. I plan to take the same approach as you with fluids and grease, and will report back.
Old 03-04-20, 04:34 PM
Flagolfer
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 03 GX with 144k and just recently I started to hear the high pitch whiny noise first few miles in the morning. A typical round trip to work is 20 miles and I don't hear it on my way back home in the afternoon.
Since I reside in the flatland of Florida, it will be hard to test the downhill coast.
I text my mechanic today to check out a couple of things for my next trip in and one being the whiny noise. If he finds the cause and fixes, I will come back to share.
Old 03-05-20, 11:00 AM
17gx460
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have some whine. I thought it was the tires but now I think its a bad front driver side wheel bearing. I am going to check this out.

2007 GX 130K miles.
Old 03-05-20, 11:21 AM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Originally Posted by 17gx460
I have some whine. I thought it was the tires but now I think its a bad front driver side wheel bearing. I am going to check this out.

2007 GX 130K miles.
Was also wondering if the sound might be wheel bearing related, but want to change fluids first since I can't confirm when the prior owner did that.
Please update on what you find with your wheel-bearings.

And to be clear, I would describe the noise as more of a drone than whine, since it's a fairly low pitch.
Old 03-06-20, 04:45 AM
Flagolfer
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was also wondering if the sound might be wheel bearing related, but want to change fluids first since I can't confirm when the prior owner did that.
Please update on what you find with your wheel-bearings.

And to be clear, I would describe the noise as more of a drone than whine, since it's a fairly low pitch.
I just replaced my daughter's Civic's left wheel-bearing a couple of days ago. The high pitch I hear and I think the forum members talking about is different than the wheel-bearing noise. The Civic had more of dull, low pitch, perhaps drone than my GX. By the time I got to the mechanic and was picking up the Civic, GX wasn't making the whiny noise. So, I will wait.
Old 07-26-20, 08:30 AM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Update for anyone still following this.
Changed all fluids, Rear Diff, Front Diff, Transfer Case. Fluids out were not too bad, but clean fresh stuff going in was better.
Droning noise still there.
Had the GX at my trusted mechanic and while they had it had the manager go for a ride with me and listened while we drove. The droning noise was independent of gas on/gas off, started up around 35 mph and would increase and decrease with speed, but was not changed by what gear we were in, accelerating, decelerating, etc. Our best guess was that it was the rear passenger wheel bearing. Up on the lift so they could walk around under the vehicle while it was "moving" confirmed that was the source of the noise.
We both agreed it was nothing of immediate need, but also not something to be ignored for an extended time.
So, a few weeks later had the chance to have it in for the replacement. I do lots of the work on this truck myself, but after watching some videos and reading some descriptions of changing these rear wheel bearings, it was not something I was interested in taking on myself. Could easily have handled rear wheel/brake disassembly, but did not want to deal with what seems to be needed jigs for a hydraulic press to get things apart. Left that to my mechanic, who also had to take it to a specialty machine shop somewhere in town for that part.
With the diagnosed bad wheel bearing replaced, the droning sound is GONE. Soooooo much quieter now. Can now hear just the slightest of drivetrain whine when on the gas steady at 60mph +, but feel this is just normal sound for the full time 4wd.

In my case this was definitely the wheel bearing that was on it's way out.
The following users liked this post:
chiph9 (07-28-20)
Old 10-31-20, 07:56 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dblshock
maybe hi/lo shift in a poor position?

I hardly ever use the diff-lock button...
So I saw a vid where a GX guy had this so he cycled the diff lock in for a few miles and it went away. So I tried that and shoot, whine is gone.

Last edited by dblshock; 10-31-20 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Whine @ Highway Speed