GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 10:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
How long has it taken everybody to get the parts in? Mine were supposed to be ordered in early July, but I haven't heard anything yet. Is this normal or is a call to the dealer in order?
I waited about a week for the parts.
Old 08-15-06, 11:26 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer had the parts in a few days. I can't imagine that it would take months (dglenday)!?! I had noticed the clunk on my '05 at about 2K miles. Since the fix, no more clunk
Old 08-15-06, 11:26 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

When exactly do you hear or feel the clunk? Is it during regular driving or when you shift or what?
Old 08-15-06, 11:33 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

The clunk occurs when you come to a stop, especially a harder than normal stop. In a couple of seconds you feel like somebody tapped you from behind (bumper to bumper hit). I don't know if the condition would lead to more serious problems down the road w/o the fix but it was definitely worth it to me.
Old 08-16-06, 11:39 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool OK ... 2000 miles on the fix and no problems....

Now I have put 2000 miles on the fix from a couple of months ago, and no problems. At first the rear suspension felt a little stiff, but that eased out and it seems back to normal. I used to hear the thump at least a few times a week. But, I have to say, there have been not "thumps" or any other abnormal feel to the truck. I would have to say it worked for me ...
The fix on the repair statement listed "suspension" parts. It was about $1200 in warranty bits and pieces.
Old 08-16-06, 09:04 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Thanks, I just bought a 2006 GX around August 1. Do you think that I will have this problem?
Old 08-17-06, 09:12 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

The TSB covers models through 2006 so if you experience the clunk down the road, set up an appointment at your nearest dealership for the fix. Make sure that they have all the parts required prior to dropping off your GX.

If you're looking for the actual TSB, the link was provided by "The G Man" on 5/26. Good Luck!
Old 08-18-06, 07:39 AM
cv470
Rookie

I just bought a 2006 GX470 Last Tuesday first day driving it felt the clunk waiting a couple of days and it got worse took back to Lexus to find out it is a known problem with the GX470 the parts will be in a couple of weeks but they could not give me an exact time frame it feels like the engine rocks back and forth when it happens and the Tach revs up and down too!
Old 08-18-06, 07:41 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I waited about a week for the parts.
I just called - It has now been five weeks. I was told "Nobody called you because the parts are still on backorder, and yes we did order the parts".

I'm not in a rush (I would like to wait until September anyway) but this is odd.

When did they order your parts? It is possible that they went through their first production and had to remake.
Old 08-18-06, 07:50 AM
cv470
Rookie

They said they had a shipment coming in a few weeks but could not tell me when exactly
Old 08-18-06, 05:34 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cv470
I just bought a 2006 GX470 Last Tuesday first day driving it felt the clunk waiting a couple of days and it got worse took back to Lexus to find out it is a known problem with the GX470 the parts will be in a couple of weeks but they could not give me an exact time frame it feels like the engine rocks back and forth when it happens and the Tach revs up and down too!
What is your build date if you just bought it? We had reports that recent GXs were supposed to have the fix already incorporated.

What you describe does not sound like the typical "clunk" - which is more like a "tap" on the rear while the car is stopped. I don't remember anybody else reporting the tach reving (others please jump in here). What you are describing sounds more like an idling problem - I wonder if it is the same thing?

Out of curiousity, where are you getting it serviced? I'm in NJ also.
Old 08-21-06, 08:24 AM
cv470
Rookie

I purchase the truck from Prestege Lexus in Ramsey NJ I feel a jult when I come to a stop and when I make a harder stop the harder the jult gets and I notice the Tach does go up a little and then comes down it's almost like the engine moves back and forth they know right away what the problem was when I took it in also your right there might be a problem with the idling becuase even when I am at a stop the needle on the tach never settles at 1 or under like most cars it's always above any idea's?
Old 08-21-06, 01:48 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Yes, i thought that i only had the issues with that. everytime i come to a stop its like its kicking down the gears and the rpm jumps up to like 1500 rpm. I dont know why it does that. About the TSB thing, its covered under warranty right? I hope when i call in and ask them about they won't ask me what i'm talking about...since i live in alabama..and i dont think theres that many people with the gx asking them about it.

lexgx
Old 08-21-06, 01:52 PM
rho72
Driver School Candidate

I had the TSIB repair done last week. I had called 2 wks prior so that they could order the parts and perform the fix with my 10000 mile service, but unfortunately they did not order the parts. However, the parts were ordered and arrived at the dealer in 2 business days. I also had issues with my driver and passenger side mirrors not going back to set positions after shifting out of reverse, but looking at the alldata website, a TSIB was issued for this in May 2006 (replaced mirror actuators on both sides) and both issues were fixed at the same time. I am in Nashville, TN. It should not be taking so long for the dealers to get your parts for the clunk fix.
Old 08-22-06, 05:15 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rho72
I had the TSIB repair done last week. I had called 2 wks prior so that they could order the parts and perform the fix with my 10000 mile service, but unfortunately they did not order the parts. However, the parts were ordered and arrived at the dealer in 2 business days. I also had issues with my driver and passenger side mirrors not going back to set positions after shifting out of reverse, but looking at the alldata website, a TSIB was issued for this in May 2006 (replaced mirror actuators on both sides) and both issues were fixed at the same time. I am in Nashville, TN. It should not be taking so long for the dealers to get your parts for the clunk fix.
I bought my GX 3 weeks ago from Lexus of Nashville and was wondering if that is where you got yours fixed, if they were knowledgeable, and if they gave you any hassle from beginning to end? Are you glad you had it done?

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB