GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 02:04 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobsGX
If your Lexus dealer did the TSB the proper way, then your GX should not ride or corner any differently than before the TSB was done. No doubt the tech that did the TSB did not properly stabilize the rear suspension prior to doing the final torque on the replaced control arms. This is called for in the Lexus Repair Manual. Not doing so will cause the control arm bushings to bind up and this will cause a stiffer ride. Maybe you should have them stabilize the rear suspension prior to redoing the torque adjustment on the control arms. That should make a difference.
Amen to that.
Old 07-26-06, 10:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
If your Lexus dealer did the TSB the proper way, then your GX should not ride or corner any differently than before the TSB was done. No doubt the tech that did the TSB did not properly stabilize the rear suspension prior to doing the final torque on the replaced control arms. This is called for in the Lexus Repair Manual. Not doing so will cause the control arm bushings to bind up and this will cause a stiffer ride. Maybe you should have them stabilize the rear suspension prior to redoing the torque adjustment on the control arms. That should make a difference.
I think the stiffer bushing and the new lower control arm will affect the handling and the ride, thats why people modify their bushing to improve handling.
Old 07-26-06, 02:24 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think the stiffer bushing and the new lower control arm will affect the handling and the ride, thats why people modify their bushing to improve handling.
This is true when people install polyurethane bushings. The ones on the new upper and lower control arms are still just plain rubber so that would not give a stiffer ride. Have the Lexus dealer stabilze your rear suspension like they were supposed to do.
Old 07-26-06, 02:59 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Well went to the dealership today, although I printed out the TSB and had it in hand ready to battle just incase. When I told the service manager i'm having clunking and thumping issue when coming to a full stop, he right away told me there's a fixture for that. I asked him if he's aware of the TSB out, and he told me yes and he'll take care of it right away. Pretty good guy. He told me he'll order the part and it should be there within 3 to 4 days. I also spoke to him about how the truck is a bit lopsided on the driver side. He told me most likely it's the height sensor which needs to be adjusted (supposedly a known issue). Anyway, it was a no hassle deal, once the part comes in, everything should be taken care of.

By the way, my service department is Lexus of Massapequa out here in Long Island NY. Just incase if anyone from NY is looking for a reliable service department. Then again, I won't know how reliable they are until they fix the TSB and see the finished result. I'll keep u guys posted.

Sam
Old 07-26-06, 03:00 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

BobGX
Even rubber can come in different hardest, but I will ask them on my next maintenance if they stabilze my rear suspension when they did the TSB. I actually like the ride the way it is now. It is a tiny bit bumpier, but I am now able to take the same turn I alway take everyday at 40 MPH instead of 35. There have been many people who notice this after the TSB, so I am not the only one. Either most of the Lexus dealer in the country dont know what they are doing or your case may be a exception. BTW do you have the KDSS suspension and had this TSB done on your GX already?

Last edited by The G Man; 07-26-06 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-06-06, 09:12 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I'm dropping off my GX tomorrow for the clunk fix. I also told them that I'm experiencing a chemical type odor coming from the vents/AC system on startup and a subtle but noticeable vibration in steering wheel around 65 MPH. Will see what happens!

My dealer is Lexus of Smithtown here on Long Island.
Old 08-06-06, 05:13 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by The G Man
BobGX
Even rubber can come in different hardest, but I will ask them on my next maintenance if they stabilze my rear suspension when they did the TSB. I actually like the ride the way it is now. It is a tiny bit bumpier, but I am now able to take the same turn I alway take everyday at 40 MPH instead of 35. There have been many people who notice this after the TSB, so I am not the only one. Either most of the Lexus dealer in the country dont know what they are doing or your case may be a exception. BTW do you have the KDSS suspension and had this TSB done on your GX already?
No KDSS on my 06 GX.
Old 08-09-06, 11:35 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Well it's only been a couple of days since I've had the clunk fixed and It appears to have worked without any side effects (i.e., I have not noticed any difference in ride or handling). The vibration in steering wheel at 60-65 MPH is gone too (wheels were re-balanced). They also took care of odor coming from vents upon startup of AC.

Only time will tell though!

P.S. I do not have KDSS
Old 08-13-06, 04:25 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Question

How long has it taken everybody to get the parts in? Mine were supposed to be ordered in early July, but I haven't heard anything yet. Is this normal or is a call to the dealer in order?
Old 08-13-06, 07:26 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverLady
How long has it taken everybody to get the parts in? Mine were supposed to be ordered in early July, but I haven't heard anything yet. Is this normal or is a call to the dealer in order?
The dealer I went to had the parts in stock. If your dealer didn't get the parts in yet, give them a call once a week to keep after them.
Old 08-14-06, 07:10 AM
squeege
Driver

Wow, that's a long wait. I made my appointment and stated I needed the TSB performed; waited at that time for them to check to make sure all the parts were in stock. Brought the GX in two days later, and received a call that one of the parts was not in stock, but would be completed in only one more day (had the complimentary RX loaner). This was in Ft Worth TX. Call your service rep.

Squeege
Old 08-14-06, 03:19 PM
dglenday
Driver School Candidate

I've been waiting since about June 26th. Called last week and dealer said that there are still people in front of me that have been on the list since end of May
Old 08-14-06, 07:34 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

I just bought a new Lexus GX and don't think I feel a clunk. When would I notice it?
Old 08-14-06, 07:39 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Most notice it after a few thousand miles (more)

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I just bought a new Lexus GX and don't think I feel a clunk. When would I notice it?

I noticed it around 2500 miles or so. However, I recall reading that more recent vehicles built after April or so (??) aloready have the changes.
Old 08-15-06, 08:11 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by JWS3
I noticed it around 2500 miles or so. However, I recall reading that more recent vehicles built after April or so (??) aloready have the changes.
My GX is an April '06 build and still has the clunk...

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB