GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Old 12-14-16, 06:29 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

A TSB is not a recall, so Lexus doesn't pay (and neither does any other car maker). What it is is advice to the mechanics at the dealership that based on repair data, something may be a common issue on a vehicle, and how they recommend that it be fixed should a customer complain about it.

But if you're under warranty, it ought to be covered.

Chip H.
Old 12-14-16, 06:46 AM
River19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
A TSB is not a recall, so Lexus doesn't pay (and neither does any other car maker). What it is is advice to the mechanics at the dealership that based on repair data, something may be a common issue on a vehicle, and how they recommend that it be fixed should a customer complain about it.

But if you're under warranty, it ought to be covered.

Chip H.
That is what I figured......

Thanks
Old 12-16-16, 06:54 PM
CMD08
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,

First time poster and new owner of a '08 GX470, 77K. I too had all of the characteristic symptoms of the drivetrain clunk thanks to researching on this site. I took it to my local dealer and lucked out with an outstanding service advisor who used to be a lead tech. They confirmed the issue, installed a new driveshaft and parts and gave me the keys to a new courtesy RX350 for a couple days; all totally covered by Lexus. The drivetrain seems a bit tighter, but it certainly could just be my perception.

I just wanted to pass on a recent update for those that are still experiencing the clunk issues.

Thanks for all the great info.
Chris
Old 01-08-17, 10:03 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CMD....how many miles when you had this done / covered by Lexus?
Old 01-13-17, 05:29 PM
CMD08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dtaylor
CMD....how many miles when you had this done / covered by Lexus?
77K. I had purchased it not too long before from the dealer. I am not sure if they covered it because they were too inept to catch it on thier own before selling or if Lexus still covers this repair in general.
Old 01-20-17, 05:37 AM
mljohnson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having this issue on my 2009 with 124000 miles. I had it in for timing belt change two months ago and I mentioned the clunk. They put new lube on all points and called it good. He said that the shaft might have to be replaced. Lube doesn't seem to have done anything so I'll be asking for a new shaft next week. Wish me luck.
Old 01-26-17, 10:09 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have pics of what and where to use the lube? I have the clunk, but have never lubed anything. I have a grease gun, but need to see where to put grease please?
Old 01-27-17, 04:37 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

it right here in this thread Holmes. just read a little
Old 03-04-17, 07:59 AM
bygbyrrd
Driver School Candidate

I didn't even know I had this issue until cruising the forum. I chalked the clunk up to the torque converter locking and unlocking. The driveshaft makes a lot more sense. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My GX is a 2008 with 111,000 on the clock. I purchased it with high miles and dropped some serious coin on one of those aftermarket warranties. My aftermarket warranty just covered two new front shocks and a new rear driver's side hub. I am hoping to get the clunk fixed before the warranty runs out.
Old 03-04-17, 11:17 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts

2008? Probably has the newer drive shaft...those things are serviceable and need to be lubed at least every 10k.
Old 03-05-17, 07:28 PM
maimou
Driver

Default Finally Greased the drive shaft

After owing our 2004 GX470 for almost 2 years now and putting up with the clunk all that time, I finally got around to greasing the shaft splines and the U-Joints tonight.
My question without reading 52 pages of this forum is, where does the grease go that goes into the spline zerk fitting? The U-joints I put two pumps of grease into and it just started to come out. The spines I put 14 pumps into and nothing came out. If I do that a couple of times a year, where is all that grease going?

Thanks
Old 03-06-17, 03:00 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts

Good philosophical question. Where does that grease go? Never thought about it...guess it burns up from friction like oil?
Old 03-13-17, 03:04 AM
spport
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default What worked for me

Originally Posted by maimou
After owing our 2004 GX470 for almost 2 years now and putting up with the clunk all that time, I finally got around to greasing the shaft splines and the U-Joints tonight.
My question without reading 52 pages of this forum is, where does the grease go that goes into the spline zerk fitting? The U-joints I put two pumps of grease into and it just started to come out. The spines I put 14 pumps into and nothing came out. If I do that a couple of times a year, where is all that grease going?

Thanks
Bought 2007 GX at Carmax three years ago and they replaced the the propeller shaft with the new part number and no problem since. Many people In this thread have spent the couple hours to disassemble, clean, and regrease the original propeller shaft with good success. In regards to the grease type and fittings I think you can find your answer searching grease fittings and gx470 on this site. A guy did a great write up. What I remember is moly grease in the u joints which I think the manual calls spider joints. Lithium based grease for the slip joint in the propeller shaft. My dealer just used a red grease bearing grease everywhere recently. Lithium feels like it has a lower viscosity and I am starting to wonder if this clunk problem hasnt been caused by not following the specification in the manual. With a thicker grease it may be enough for it to grip over time causing the clunk when it releases. It's my hypothesis but I believe that is the rationale for specifying lithium grease at that propeller shaft fitting. Going to take mine apart and clean out that red grease to put lithium back in.

The dealer didn't torque my wheels either. Two lug nuts were at 40lbs and opposite two over a 100lbs and warped my new rotor with their air wrench. Spec is 76lbs. He said, "Sometimes we just get moving" I use this forum and downloaded all the manuals with a $15 2 day subscription on Toyotas website to do my own maintenance now but that's another story. You can find your grease fitting answer plus there it's worth $15 bucks to get answers straight from the source and time saved by not reading rants like this one. Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by spport:
fattiresc (03-17-23), jasanders (03-15-17), thumbdog23 (01-18-19)
Old 03-13-17, 03:11 AM
spport
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maimou

Thanks
Sorry I don't think I answered your question. Again if I remember right it's a slip joint with space at the end. So the grease goes over the splines and into the space. You could easily put far more than you need in there. Check the drive shaft/propeller shaft parts diagram online. I will know more once I get mine apart.
Old 07-19-17, 01:08 PM
lukasbasic
Rookie

Default how to lube?

anybody has some pictures where the grease fittings are? Do i need to life the wheel of the ground?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB