GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 04:29 PM
JJsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just brought in my 08 GX 38k miles to dealer.
Complained about clunk noise to dealer and determined it was drive shaft and replaced under CPO warranty.
Old 04-19-13, 06:31 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick update, the grease lasted almost 5k miles before it 'clunking' again. This time, it took me less than 2 minutes to grease up since I had the gun and knew what to do. I may replace the shaft some day (not a big deal and less than $300 part) but for now, $2 in grease in 2 minutes labor seems like the way to go. Mike
Old 05-04-13, 09:11 AM
Macpsy
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Lexus

Hi everyone,

Took my new to me 2006 GX470 with 50K miles into Lexus of Clearwater and was told the drive shaft bump has a TSB, but is out of warranty on my car due to being over 72 months and total cost was about $650. However, after asking the service rep to check with regional, they made an appointment with loaner the following week to replace at no charge.

This is one of the many reasons I'm back to Lexus, after a relatively happy two years with a Volvo XC90. When I had my RX330 (which I sold for the XC90), I did very much miss the level of service Lexus provides (as well as the very superior waiting lounge environment).

My girlfriend was so impressed, not only with the car itself, but with Lexus service, she wants me now to help trade her Honda CRV for a used low mileage RX330.

I'm sure Lexus may have guessed that their 'altruism' would pay off, but probably not so soon, LOL.

Thanks Lexus!

Steve
Old 05-06-13, 07:55 AM
jhavens
Driver School Candidate

That's good news. Does anyone know if Lexus has ever acknowledged the same issue with the LX470? It has to be because we've experienced the same type of issue for a few years now with no resolution. If anyone has more recent experience with this issue and their LX470, please post and/or let me know. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Jason Havens
Destin, FL

Originally Posted by Macpsy
Hi everyone,

Took my new to me 2006 GX470 with 50K miles into Lexus of Clearwater and was told the drive shaft bump has a TSB, but is out of warranty on my car due to being over 72 months and total cost was about $650. However, after asking the service rep to check with regional, they made an appointment with loaner the following week to replace at no charge.

This is one of the many reasons I'm back to Lexus, after a relatively happy two years with a Volvo XC90. When I had my RX330 (which I sold for the XC90), I did very much miss the level of service Lexus provides (as well as the very superior waiting lounge environment).

My girlfriend was so impressed, not only with the car itself, but with Lexus service, she wants me now to help trade her Honda CRV for a used low mileage RX330.

I'm sure Lexus may have guessed that their 'altruism' would pay off, but probably not so soon, LOL.

Thanks Lexus!

Steve
Old 05-06-13, 12:20 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jhavens
That's good news. Does anyone know if Lexus has ever acknowledged the same issue with the LX470? It has to be because we've experienced the same type of issue for a few years now with no resolution. If anyone has more recent experience with this issue and their LX470, please post and/or let me know. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Jason Havens
Destin, FL
I've owned 4 100 series 1 LC 3 LX they all have the clunk at sometime and some more often then another. Just means you need to grease all the zirts in the drivetrain. After greasing clunk goes away until next time it needs greasing. I alway have the driveline greased every 5k miles when I do an oil/filter change. It is not a problem and will not result in a failure. Check it out on www.ih8mud.com. I understand that most of the GX's are driven by the wife and if something clunks then it is a BIG problem. You might get her an ES350
Old 06-15-13, 10:47 PM
I'm broke
Driver School Candidate

Acquired an 04 GX with KDSS from a dealership in May.

Drove it around for a while and experienced the clunk. I thought it was normal, until I read this thread.

Took it back a month later and they couldn't find the problem. The dealership handed it over to Lexus (next door) to have a look at it. They had the part in stock and fixed it up!

100% covered by drivetrain warranty from dealership
Old 10-07-13, 06:35 AM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

I am a n00b here so this is surely a dumb question but could not verify the answer:

I have 2007 GX 470 and currently sometimes when I come to a complete stop the transmission "bumps" or "hits" slightly. Is that the same as the "clunk" everyone is talking about here?

Thanks,

LEXus_for_road_TRIPs
Old 10-07-13, 08:06 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexTrip
I am a n00b here so this is surely a dumb question but could not verify the answer:

I have 2007 GX 470 and currently sometimes when I come to a complete stop the transmission "bumps" or "hits" slightly. Is that the same as the "clunk" everyone is talking about here?

Thanks,

LEXus_for_road_TRIPs
Same thing. Won't hurt anything.. Just have the dealer lube it, or you can try and get them to replace it. It's not the transmission
Old 10-07-13, 08:30 AM
LexTrip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Max707
Same thing. Won't hurt anything.. Just have the dealer lube it, or you can try and get them to replace it. It's not the transmission
I am new to Lexus and Lexus Service... So please forgive the n00bness of the following:

What is the likely hood they would replace it?
(it's an '07 that is not under warranty and I did not purchase it from them)

What is the expected cost for them to lube it?
Old 10-07-13, 10:22 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexTrip
I am new to Lexus and Lexus Service... So please forgive the n00bness of the following:

What is the likely hood they would replace it?
(it's an '07 that is not under warranty and I did not purchase it from them)

What is the expected cost for them to lube it?
If you do a search on this problem you will see others have gotten their drive shaft replaced out of warranty. I know there is a TSB on this problem. It is more of a annoyance then a problem. Most Lexus dealers will lube your driveshaft for free, they should always do it during a oil/filter change. I always remind the service writer to note it on the work order. You could just post a new thread asking for help with how to get yours replaced out of warranty, some one will direct you to the info.
Old 02-18-14, 07:43 AM
asgeir75
Driver School Candidate

Default Is the latest TSB prop shaft without grease fittings??

Hello,
I'm from Norway, and I'm going to order a new shaft for my landcruiser to fix the clunk. But I have to be certain that I get the right shaft...read on 4-runner forum that the newest shaft has no grease fittings. Does anybody know this for sure? I'm going to buy it from Lexus Sewell parts I think, but as I said, it's important to get the right shaft since I'm not exactly buying from the dealer next door

In the photo I got from 4-runner forum the shaft on the bottom should be the latest one, any maybe without nipples...
Attached Thumbnails Clunk Fix with new TSB-tsb.jpg  
Old 04-10-14, 07:50 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just brought our new to us GX to the dealer to see what they could do about getting the clunk TSB done. The truck only has 21k miles, but the powertrain warranty expired in Dec.

I thought they might be able to do something, based on past experience with my last GX....I was wrong. They quoted my wife $500 to replace the driveshaft, plus tried to get her for another $200 for a new battery.

I have a feeling that the dealer didn't even contact Lexus to see if they would cover, or at least partially cover the repair. I just opened a case with Lexus customer service to see if that gets me anywhere.
Old 04-10-14, 07:52 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what year is that rig
Old 04-10-14, 08:49 AM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by burny
what year is that rig
2008, sold in Dec. '07, so the powertrain warranty just expired 4 months ago.
Old 04-10-14, 09:03 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

I just bought my '08 last week, Carfax said it had 2mo and 4000 miles left on powertrain warranty. I felt the clunk a few times and took it to the dealer, Service advisor told me I only had 21 days left and 4K left on warranty. They still fixed it under warranty though.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB