GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Old 10-06-09, 02:48 PM
dcalab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the harsh ride after driveshaft replacement is due to a height adjustment made on the air suspension to help correct vibration issues (shaft alignment to rear end ).
Dealer will not admit this.
Old 11-04-09, 07:09 AM
bobbrand
Driver School Candidate

Wink rear end clunk ended

Have a 2004 gx 470. The dealer replaced the drive line. Not only did it fix the clunk but sometimes it felt the rear end was bottoming out over certain bumps. This is now gone. Also the steering seems better at high speeds. In all this is a no brainer for a repair done under factory power train warranty. They gave me a new car to drive and washed mine. Completely satisfied.
Old 11-06-09, 10:28 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Yes, I had that TSB done that included the control arms, etc. and definitely had a harsher ride afterwards. Where the original ride was dreamy even over speed bumps, the GX suddenly became like a jalopy over every little road imperfection.
Originally Posted by GGGXXX
i had TSB done 2 years back - new driveshaft and control arms...after fix, very stiff ride, air suspension non existent....complained, took it back.....utlimately got the right tech who figured out that the car needs to be 'stablized' ie. you cannot tighten the bolts until you let the car stablizie/ 'settle' .....whatever that means....but bottom line is that air supsension was back and so was the ride quality.....and no clunk.....don't not settle for a harsh ride... take it back and get the right tech or see another dealer..
Chalk it up to lazy or inexperienced techs.

Control arms do not freely float on hinge at the inner joint to the chassis. That is the control arm does have have complete freedom to pivot on the inner joint. They are affixed via a solidly mounted rubber bushing and it is this bushing that must flex and deform to give the control arm it's range of motion.

This means that they control arm joint should be torqued down only after the suspension is loaded to the nominal ride hide. This allows the bushing to be zeroed out when the car is sitting on the ground. The bushing should only deform and flex when the suspension is compressed, or the wheels allowed to droop.

Silverlady, your tech more than likely just torqued down the suspension arm with the car in the air on the lift. Meaning that the bushings are resisting compressions and are loaded already at normal ride height.

I would go back to the deal because the control arms will prematurely wear out and fail when installed this way as they are always under tension, and over tensioned as the suspension compresses.
Old 12-14-09, 11:15 AM
agood1
Rookie

I just bought a GX with 90k on the clock, and apparently this TSB has never been done because the clunk is very apparent.

I am out of warranty, so I was curisous if I could buy the parts and do the work myself? Has anyone tried it? How much were the parts?
Old 01-11-10, 03:06 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by agood1
I just bought a GX with 90k on the clock, and apparently this TSB has never been done because the clunk is very apparent.

I am out of warranty, so I was curisous if I could buy the parts and do the work myself? Has anyone tried it? How much were the parts?
I just asked the same question in a different forum. I have an aftermarket warranty and was wondering if Lexus would fix it as a recall or if I would have to go through my warranty. Try Lexus before buying your own parts.
Old 01-12-10, 06:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I just asked the same question in a different forum. I have an aftermarket warranty and was wondering if Lexus would fix it as a recall or if I would have to go through my warranty. Try Lexus before buying your own parts.
The clunk is not a recall. Lexus sometimes will fix the clunk under the Lexus extended warranty, but I am sure they wont do it under the aftermarket extended warranty. You will have to ask your aftermarket warranty provider if they will pay for it. This is the reason why I do not buy 3rd part extended warranty.
Old 01-15-10, 07:28 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The clunk is not a recall. Lexus sometimes will fix the clunk under the Lexus extended warranty, but I am sure they wont do it under the aftermarket extended warranty. You will have to ask your aftermarket warranty provider if they will pay for it. This is the reason why I do not buy 3rd part extended warranty.
I agree, but it was my only option as I purchased it from a preowned luxury dealership.
Old 05-25-10, 06:21 PM
josta
Driver School Candidate

I had the TSB done at about 1,500 miles. It now has 46,000 miles and I can feel the "clunk" starting to come back on...feels like a nudge from behind.

So, for me it (the "fix") lasted about 44,000 miles. It is not (yet) very noticeable, and only happens once every 20 or 30 stops.

Has anybody had to have the fix done twice?

John
Old 05-26-10, 05:50 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by josta

I had the TSB done at about 1,500 miles. It now has 46,000 miles and I can feel the "clunk" starting to come back on...feels like a nudge from behind.

Has anybody had to have the fix done twice?

John
Yes, I had it done three times on my '04. The third time because it wasn't done right the second time.

I just had new shocks at 76,000 miles due to them having an air leak. Was done under Extended Warranty. Still have until Dec, 2010 or 100,000 miles.

~ Cap
Old 06-25-10, 01:15 PM
subie2GX
Rookie

Dealer just called and replaced the driveshaft after showing the L-SB-0116-08 printout. Can't wait to pick-up and drive this weekend.

Last edited by subie2GX; 06-25-10 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 07:09 PM
subie2GX
Rookie

After driving for 3 hours, so far no clunk at all.
Old 07-02-10, 03:28 PM
Deros
Driver

I have a 2006 GX470, bought new, but never notice a "clunk". However, I could be hearing it, but I could have assumed it is normal car noise. Exactly when does the "clunk" happen? Is it durning breaking, accelerating, back up, etc.. My Warranty expires in Oct 10 and want to make sure it gets fixed under the warranty vs. hoping that they will fix it after the warranty for free.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-02-10, 10:11 PM
subie2GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Deros
I have a 2006 GX470, bought new, but never notice a "clunk". However, I could be hearing it, but I could have assumed it is normal car noise. Exactly when does the "clunk" happen? Is it durning breaking, accelerating, back up, etc.. My Warranty expires in Oct 10 and want to make sure it gets fixed under the warranty vs. hoping that they will fix it after the warranty for free.

Thanks for the help.
Normally it happens just before or after coming to stop; you'll feel a 'bump-from-behind' sensation after 2-10 seconds the stop or releasing the brakes. Most cases are very mild but sometime very hard. Most dealers will tell you that it is normal for 4x4 trucks; which is completely BS.

Make sure you find the pdf file called L-SB-0116-08 and take the print out with yo to show them if they refuse to fix the problem.

Good Luck!
Old 07-03-10, 11:25 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subie2GX
Normally it happens just before or after coming to stop; you'll feel a 'bump-from-behind' sensation after 2-10 seconds the stop or releasing the brakes. Most cases are very mild but sometime very hard. Most dealers will tell you that it is normal for 4x4 trucks; which is completely BS.

Make sure you find the pdf file called L-SB-0116-08 and take the print out with yo to show them if they refuse to fix the problem.

Good Luck!
So the clunk can occur after coming to a stop and when you release the brakes and just before accelerating. Does this happen every time or intermittently?
Old 07-04-10, 03:52 AM
subie2GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by redrocks
So the clunk can occur after coming to a stop and when you release the brakes and just before accelerating. Does this happen every time or intermittently?
No it doesn't happen all the time. It happened to me 8 out 10 times but the intensity of each time was different. For once i had double clunk. Any how, this kind of thing should not happen; you should just mention to the dealer about the issue and give them the tsb #. You will be much happier after the fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB