GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 05:57 PM
beomaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed but at what cost?

I had the TSB fix to correct the clunk. When I got my GX back it was sitting 6" lower than before (or more) and looked like it had a full payload in the back. I drove it home and their was no rear suspension evident. I just about chipped my teeth on every miniscule imperfection in the road. I called the dealer back and they said it was fine. I brought it back and they fixed the suspension, but the GX still sits too low and the rear end is no longer higher than the front. One of the things I like about the GX was the driving position, being higher than other SUVS on the road. Now the driving experience is completely different and not what I purchased. I no longer have clunk, but my suspension is about 40% stiffer and the height and angle of the back is not attractive. I will have to bring it back a third time to hopefully it corrected.

Any others experience the same thing?
Old 05-11-06, 06:42 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Something sounds REALLY wrong--Did they disconnect (m)

Originally Posted by beomaster
I had the TSB fix to correct the clunk. When I got my GX back it was sitting 6" lower than before (or more) and looked like it had a full payload in the back. I drove it home and their was no rear suspension evident. I just about chipped my teeth on every miniscule imperfection in the road. I called the dealer back and they said it was fine. I brought it back and they fixed the suspension, but the GX still sits too low and the rear end is no longer higher than the front. One of the things I like about the GX was the driving position, being higher than other SUVS on the road. Now the driving experience is completely different and not what I purchased. I no longer have clunk, but my suspension is about 40% stiffer and the height and angle of the back is not attractive. I will have to bring it back a third time to hopefully it corrected.

the air suspension? I can't see how replacing a driveshaft, etc could or should cause what you describe. Makes no sense unless something was done wrong or forgotten.
Old 05-11-06, 06:59 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default Beomaster - which dealership in DC...

sorry to hear it....which dealership in DC did you get this done...so we can avoid it?

Had the dealership done the TSB before or were you the first....don't think Toyota would fix a car by dropping it 6 inches...must be the dealership!
Old 05-11-06, 07:47 PM
ABDULLATIF
Driver School Candidate

i had my car fixed yesterday and every hing looks good ,but my dealer said my car needed weel alignment i did pay 95 for it ,and i did not notice any thing wrong with it before the fix
Old 05-11-06, 07:49 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by beomaster

Sorry to hear Beomaster. You had my curious so I went and measured and test drove the vehichle. Everything is good as new. Same ride and same height (74"). This looks like an isolated incident.
Old 05-11-06, 07:50 PM
trebien
Driver

Sounds like the rear air suspension is not operating. If I recall, the compressor is mounted back there by the bumper on a frame rail... maybe they knocked a wire loose to the compressor, or there is a problem with the air lines. If it is riding as you describe, the dealer should have picked up on it immediately.

Old 05-12-06, 06:07 AM
man8959
Driver

Default clunk only when AC is on

I only have the clunk when the AC is running. is this the same clunk you guys have?
Old 05-14-06, 09:08 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

This is a very helpful thread so I finally pulled the trigger and asked my dealer and waiting for their response. I figured I could leave with the clunk, but got tired of it and after reading this thread, realized it's time to get this fixed.

What a ridiculous problem this is for this caliber of vehicle.
Old 05-14-06, 12:42 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexguynj
This is a very helpful thread so I finally pulled the trigger and asked my dealer and waiting for their response. I figured I could leave with the clunk, but got tired of it and after reading this thread, realized it's time to get this fixed.

What a ridiculous problem this is for this caliber of vehicle.
Which dealer is it? Let us know what they say.
Old 05-14-06, 02:26 PM
gs_girl
Driver School Candidate

Our vehicle was up for it's 4 month service, so when my husband took it in he mentioned the clunk issue and another irritating FOB issue we've been having. We've been experiencing the clunk for the pass two months or so.
Well, they were going to keep the vehicle overnight to fix it, then finally called at around 5:30PM to pick her up the same day.
So far the vehicle is running fine.

Mel
2006 Titanium Silver GX470 sports model - fully loaded
Old 05-15-06, 07:31 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Which dealer is it? Let us know what they say.
This is Lawrence Lexus and today they called me back there there is a campaign to fix this issue and they are ordering the parts now and will call me back to schedule an appointment when the parts arrive.

I love this Clublexus Forum!
Old 05-15-06, 05:30 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexguynj
This is Lawrence Lexus and today they called me back there there is a campaign to fix this issue and they are ordering the parts now and will call me back to schedule an appointment when the parts arrive.

I love this Clublexus Forum!
Great - That is our dealer also. I am not quite at the point of getting it fixed as it is not yet really annoying, but it is good to know they are performing the fix on some GXs. If it does not get worse I will probably wait for my 6 month/5K service - it looks like most are seeing good results so far.

I'm personally curious to know how you make out with them!
Old 05-15-06, 08:43 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

I dropped off my GX today at Tustin Lexus here in socal. I told them about the problem and that there is a TSB fix authorized by Lexus HQ.... he was searching the computer and didnt say much. I asked him if there are customers who complain about this issue on the GX... he said "YES... we have been getting these complaints lately"

When i was leaving with a loaner car he said " I hope we have the parts in.. Ill give you a call tomorrow how things are going"

I assume that the drive shaft and upper/lower arms are what he was referring to??

I have the RX as the loaner car now... such a lighter car... i miss my GX already..... After i get this fixed, hopefully i can work on getting 22inch wheels finally..... oh yeah... BTW... free car wash for me by the dealer.. heheh I havent washed my car for 4 months now... i know i know.. shame on me...
Old 05-16-06, 06:22 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Great - That is our dealer also. I am not quite at the point of getting it fixed as it is not yet really annoying, but it is good to know they are performing the fix on some GXs. If it does not get worse I will probably wait for my 6 month/5K service - it looks like most are seeing good results so far.

I'm personally curious to know how you make out with them!
Hey Silverlady, nice to finally meet someone in the local central NJ area!

Talk with Tara / Service in regards to this and she will be able to help you out and keep in mind it will take her time to order parts so they can't do it immediately.

I'd say get it done as soon as you can, they'll give you a loaner car, wash your vehicle and have it back to you at the end of the day (hopefully).

It was interesting, since she was not aware of this problem so had to check with her tech who in turn had to check into this and found the campaign.

Lawrence Lexus definitely has great service.
Old 05-16-06, 08:03 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Da Clunk

Is it safe to "assume" the fix will be done on the 07's before they get here?

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB