GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 07:59 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexite
Dropped off my GX on Mon night to have Magnussen Lexus of Fremont perform the updated TSB fix. I picked it up last night, and didn't notice clunk while driving back home.

This morning while driving to work I felt something strange with the ride... something was missing. Guess what? I got used to of driving with the clunk that was not there. Wow! much improved ride. I think Lexus should compensate me for driving more than 40k miles with the clunk

Thanks to Lexus for listening to consumers.
I know what you mean about expecting the clunk. For a while there it was a stress factor - like when you know somebody is going to kick you from behind and it hasn't happened yet

I do find the ride a bit less smooth though - less forgiving of little bumps and such.
Old 03-23-07, 04:10 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I do find the ride a bit less smooth though - less forgiving of little bumps and such.
Did you ask the dealer who performed the repair if they normalized the suspension as is called for in the TSIB? That will make a difference.
Old 03-23-07, 08:01 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Did you ask the dealer who performed the repair if they normalized the suspension as is called for in the TSIB? That will make a difference.
I was hoping it would change after some mileage (as others had reported), so haven't brought it up yet. Thanks for the tip!

Hopefully they got their computers fixed. The last time I had a problem I found a TSB that covered it, they told me they couldn't check because they had a problem with their computer system on the shop floor! I offered to show them the TSB on the computer in the customer lounge, but they said it wasn't their "official" copy and couldn't use it!
Old 03-29-07, 08:15 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Forgive me if I missed it, but I've read the whole thread and didn't really see this addressed. Is there something new and different about the drive shaft and control arms that are part of the TSB?

If they are the same shaft and arms we currently have, won't the problem come back? Just curious because I didn't see anyone talk about what was different.
Old 03-31-07, 06:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The drive shalf is different and the control arms are bigger in diameter.
Old 04-05-07, 07:47 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

I just had my 07 GX drive shaft and control arms repalced under the TSB yesterday with the newest parts. THe car was in and out of the dealership and detailed 5 hours after I left it! Great service and experience at Lexus of Austin!!
Old 04-05-07, 03:12 PM
vitieubao
10th Gear

I also just had my GX driveshaft and control arms replaced and the wheel balanced to reduce harmonic vibration at 60-69mph, the process took about couple hours and no more clunk, no more pain , the ride is so smooth. Great service and great experience at Lexus of Clear Lake in Houston, also want to thank Kyle Hart a Service Manager there.
Old 04-05-07, 08:23 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
I just had my 07 GX drive shaft and control arms repalced under the TSB yesterday with the newest parts. THe car was in and out of the dealership and detailed 5 hours after I left it! Great service and experience at Lexus of Austin!!
I am a little confused. I thought the clunk was no longer an issue after a certain manufacture date with the 2006 GX. I didn't know they were still making 2007 GX's with the clunk. Why would they put something in an 07 GX that they already know a TSB fix for from previous experience? I am just asking. My clunk is gone after having the fix with my 06 GX, and I have been happy with it.
Old 04-05-07, 09:58 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I am a little confused. I thought the clunk was no longer an issue after a certain manufacture date with the 2006 GX. I didn't know they were still making 2007 GX's with the clunk. Why would they put something in an 07 GX that they already know a TSB fix for from previous experience? I am just asking. My clunk is gone after having the fix with my 06 GX, and I have been happy with it.
Something smells fishy about that 07 GX? The TSIB only covered 03 and up to a certain VIN in the 06 model year.
All 07's should of had the latest updated parts. Maybe his 07 somehow got the outdated parts installed at assembly, but I highly doubt it. Especially from Toyota/Lexus.
Old 04-06-07, 11:34 AM
Chexation
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an '04 GX470 with 64k miles on it. Is Lexus fixing this problem on all of the cars under the TSB? Obviously, my car is out of warranty. Is this something I will have to pay for? If so, what do I need to do? Just call the service dept at the dealership?

Also, does anyone have a PDF of the TSB. I have not been able to find it online.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-07, 12:03 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the TSB number is in this thread. Is your GX pre owned certified? If you are out of warrenty, you will have to pay for it. It is a TSB not a recall.
Old 04-08-07, 07:36 PM
pump142
Driver

I think its time for a trip to the dealer again. Ive been feeling this in my 06 since I got it but was told it was the auto-levelers starting & stopping.
I hate the thump sensation and I'm tired of passengers asking if we just got rear ended
Old 04-10-07, 10:34 PM
pump142
Driver

there, thats her. Wifey's ride.

now about this gx470 clunk...what do I need to tell the dealer besides the obvious problem description?
Old 04-11-07, 05:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Nice ride pump142, your wife is a lucky woman.
Show your dealer the clunk TSB or the TSB number, tell them that you already know it is a common problem with the GX and that you feel the clunk sometimes when you come to a stop and it has nothing to do with the auto-levelers starting & stopping. The auto leveler only adjust when you change the load and it usually does not adjust while driving. If all else fail, tell them you will talk to Lexus Headquarter about them and I am sure you will get better service at another Lexus dealer.
Good Luck
Old 04-11-07, 12:53 PM
pump142
Driver

does anyone have the tsb info? Ive looked thru the forum and only found a link that my computer wouldnt connect to

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB