GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 01:41 AM
uclahenry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cap,

Thanks for the info! I dropped the car off today morning and their system did list a drive shaft replacement, however it did not mention anything about the upper and lower controls. I insisted the problem was due to that and showed them the official tsb. They took the papers, so we'll see what they do. They havent called me back with any updates yet. Will keep you all posted.

btw, your car looks great! I believe it has the prado lights and 18 in. SE 4 runner rims...hope to see you driving around PV or Torrance one of these days

I've been looking at the prado lights...I know most people have ordered through Japan parts, but I came across a set on ebay that are LED...tempted to get those, but have not seen any cars with them installed - worried they wont look good in real life...

Henry
Old 01-10-07, 02:48 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Be aware of after market parts from other manufacturers on ebay.
Old 01-10-07, 11:05 PM
uclahenry
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Got the car back and they replaced driveshaft again along with the control arms this time...so far so good!! the clunk is gone all I can say is it is a world of difference (at least to me). Will keep you posted if anything comes up...
Old 01-12-07, 10:51 AM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone,

I got my truck back yesterday from my dealer. As you may know my truck was stolen on 1/02/07 and the back bumper was smashed. They also got my keys. Well thanks to my dealership they went to bat for me and Allstate paided to have my keys recut and new locks installed costing 1700.00 dollars. They fixed my bumper by replacing it with a new one. While there they did my 5000 mile checkup and did the TSB for the "Clunk". So far my truck drives great. It also looks great. Not to mention Lexus even gave me a break and all this only cost me 256.00. They managed to eat some of my deductible. I have owned 16 new trucks over the years. The last 2 were Cadillac Escalades. I never had service from my dealers like I did from Cherry Hill Lexus. After this I'm sold. My next truck will be a lexus also. What started out to be a terrible week ended on a up note. Truck looks new again. Drives great without the clunk and no one got hurt. I only wished that they found the person that stole it. But in time that too will be found out.
Old 01-15-07, 04:53 PM
SacKen
Driver

I finally got my fixed after being on the waiting list for a few months. So far so good!

To me, the rear-end actually feels a little softer than before, which is funny because others have commented that it was stiffer after the fix. It even seems to be less jarring when going over speed bumps, etc.
Old 01-26-07, 06:18 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone with a 2007 GX had the clunk? I was riding in my wife's GX yesterday and I heard a clunk.
Old 01-26-07, 06:44 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Has anyone with a 2007 GX had the clunk? I was riding in my wife's GX yesterday and I heard a clunk.
Not every clunk is "THE CLUNK". Did it happen in the same way in the descriptions (pretty much right after you stop)? The very late 06s and the 07s are supposed to have the fix built in.
Old 01-30-07, 09:53 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Not every clunk is "THE CLUNK". Did it happen in the same way in the descriptions (pretty much right after you stop)? The very late 06s and the 07s are supposed to have the fix built in.
My '07 (now with about 3k miles) has what I think is the clunk.
Just after I stop, as the rear end settles, it feels like the drive shaft yoke is binding a little bit as it slides back into the transfer case. Not loud, and not really that annoying.
Old 01-30-07, 10:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That sure sounds like the clunk, Could it be that some 07 doesnt come with the updated control arms due to the shortage?
Old 01-31-07, 05:31 AM
JASP615
Driver

I have the late 06 model and I had the clunk. In fact it showed up at 200 miles. I had it fixed while the truck was in having it re keyed due to it being stolen. So far no problem. In fact the steering seems tighter. I really love this truck.
Old 01-31-07, 04:20 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stiles_s
My '07 (now with about 3k miles) has what I think is the clunk.
Just after I stop, as the rear end settles, it feels like the drive shaft yoke is binding a little bit as it slides back into the transfer case. Not loud, and not really that annoying.
It does sound like it. In my clunk, it felt like somebody had hit the truck lightly from behind.

G-Man has a good point - we don't know if they put all the "fixed" parts in all the newer trucks, or when anything went in. It seems worth a mention next time you bring the truck in.
Old 01-31-07, 05:34 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we have the clunk. It kind of sounds like there is a bowling ball in the back that hits something when you stop. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen and seems like maybe someone hit the truck from behind. I guess we will have it checked out.
Old 02-09-07, 01:47 PM
jjnunn
Driver School Candidate

Default Park Place Lexus in Plano Service Dept. Fixed Clunk

I bought an 03' with 61K miles on it and Park Place told me that it was out of warranty and they could not fix the clunk. They told me it was a TSB, not a recall. I call 800 Lexus and complained, told them how all I ever buy is Lexus and how I love them and on and on. They called the dealer and the service Manager and they fixed it 100% for Free. The clunk went away and the car is smooth again.
Old 02-12-07, 07:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That just confrims that Lexus is trying real hard to try to please their customers.
Old 02-12-07, 08:13 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
That just confrims that Lexus is trying real hard to try to please their customers.

Or that the squeaky wheel gets the grease! I know this worked for me and my BMW as well... I had an ABS / DSC issue with 300 miles left in my 100K warranty... rebooted the car, and it didn't happen again until 500 miles after my warranty expired... happened a few more times after that... dealer was reticent to try and get it fixed under my warranty ( I didn't bring it to them until the second time it happend)... contacted BMW, no problem...

I remember going to a Chevy dealer with my old S-10 pickup, when the alternator gauge wasn't working right (one year old car) and they told me that that was "normal"... Anyone see a correlation between the states of these manufacturers and how they treat their customer?

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB