GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 04:58 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default So far so good

After waiting almost two months for parts to arrive, the TSB was installed on my truck today. It previously had a very minor clunk problem, maybe once every 50 stops, but never had the feeling of being tapped in the rear. At the first stop light, I could feel, well, make that not feel what was there before. The ride height was checked before the parts change and the front and rear were level at each RAHC setting. The steering wheel is still straight (I remember seeing that as a problem somewhere). I don't feel any change in the ride. The AVS is set at Comfort 2.
Old 09-06-06, 08:43 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here!!
Just bought a GX and my wife noticed the 'clunk' first....
At first... I thought it was new brake pads... then I thought it was the engine mount or something...

So, what's the magic word I need to tell my dealer to get this thing fixed??
I need new TSB?? Or, they should know what I'm talking about by now....

Last edited by hsk73; 09-06-06 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-06-06, 09:10 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
Newbie here!!
Just bought a GX and my wife noticed the 'clunk' first....
At first... I thought it was new brake pads... then I thought it was the engine mount or something...

So, what's the magic word I need to tell my dealer to get this thing fixe??
I need new TSB?? Or, they should know what I'm talking about by now....
You sure you have an 07 GX? The fix was supposed to be installed for the 07 model year. Maybe your wife noticed something else since the vehicle is so new to her?
Old 09-06-06, 11:29 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

I have 06!!
I was suppose to get 07 RX... I guess I just changed the model number in my sig...

Originally Posted by BobsGX
You sure you have an 07 GX? The fix was supposed to be installed for the 07 model year. Maybe your wife noticed something else since the vehicle is so new to her?
Old 09-07-06, 03:13 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by hsk73
I have 06!!
I was suppose to get 07 RX... I guess I just changed the model number in my sig...
No big deal. I just hope we don't start hearing that the 07's also develop the clunk.
Old 09-08-06, 11:42 AM
SacKen
Driver

Any update on the wait times people are experiencing for this fix?

My dealer (Lexus of Sacramento) just informed me that it may be awhile before they get my parts in. They have two people on the wait list ahead of me and they have been waiting for a couple months.

I'm guessing that this is more common now that more people are asking for the fix. I just want to verify that I'm not getting the runaround.
Old 09-08-06, 01:11 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 05' GX and had this same clunk on occasion. then a couple weeks ago it dissappeared but now my rear suspension was stuck in the up position and i didn't really notice til i hit the garage door pulling my truck into the garage. took my truck to the dealer and they replace some sensors and know i'm riding straight. anyone have this happen to them?
Old 09-08-06, 02:11 PM
Salvator
Driver

Went in today for 5K service (first service is free at my dealer... ) Requested TSBs for clunk and mirror-reversing issue... parts supposedly ordered... will see how long it takes...
Old 09-08-06, 03:47 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have now logged almost 10,000 miles with the new TSB fix and can report that I have not had the clunk return. I drive my truck pretty hard, and with the previous fixes the clunk had returned by now. Finally, it seems Lexus has found a long term fix.
Old 09-09-06, 04:33 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default Jugdish - ride quality

after 10K of driving POST-TSB, any issues with ride quality, suspension height etc...thanks
Old 09-11-06, 07:59 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The truck has the same ride as it did pre-TSB fix. The only difference is no annoying thump. I don't notice any change.
Old 09-12-06, 09:01 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by Salvator
Went in today for 5K service (first service is free at my dealer... ) Requested TSBs for clunk and mirror-reversing issue... parts supposedly ordered... will see how long it takes...
Received a call that the parts were in for the mirror TSB, but the Clunk TSB parts were back-ordered...
Old 09-13-06, 04:44 AM
cv470
Rookie

It's been almost a week since they did the TSB on my truck and so far so good no clunk yet!
Old 09-13-06, 07:53 AM
Salvator
Driver

In the shop right now for the mirror fix... RX350h for a loaner... Interesting, gearshift says "D" (Drive) and "B" (Braking? ) Anyway, Service Advisor mentions to me that the clunk fix parts should be in next week... he also mentions something to the effect that the improved driveshaft is physically larger than what it replaces, and that the control arms are "higher" so that they don't "bottom out"... Anyway, he seemed well informed about the issue, so cross your fingers that my parts come in soon (it's working out to a free weekly car wash for me, whats not to like! )
Old 09-13-06, 01:35 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Salvator
In the shop right now for the mirror fix... RX350h for a loaner... Interesting, gearshift says "D" (Drive) and "B" (Braking? ) Anyway, Service Advisor mentions to me that the clunk fix parts should be in next week... he also mentions something to the effect that the improved driveshaft is physically larger than what it replaces, and that the control arms are "higher" so that they don't "bottom out"... Anyway, he seemed well informed about the issue, so cross your fingers that my parts come in soon (it's working out to a free weekly car wash for me, whats not to like! )
I've seen the original and replacement driveshaft and control arms. The driveshaft looks the same and the lower control arms maybe a little larger in diameter. As for you service advisor saying the control arms are higher, he doesn't know what he is talking about. But thats nothing new for those people. They are only a step above a car salesman on the food chain.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB