GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Old 08-22-06, 05:17 AM
cv470
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes so I'm not the only with the RPM rev! so let me ask once they replace those parts will the RPM rev go away?? And yes the service is covered. I hope this goes away I only have 150 miles on my GX I have not been able to enjoy it becuase of these issue's
Old 08-22-06, 05:22 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cv470
Yes so I'm not the only with the RPM rev! so let me ask once they replace those parts will the RPM rev go away?? And yes the service is covered. I hope this goes away I only have 150 miles on my GX I have not been able to enjoy it becuase of these issue's
Did you really notice a significant amount of symptoms with your GX so far? My new one which I picked up 3 weeks ago seems to drive fine, and I have to really listen and feel carefully at a hard stop to even notice a little thunk. I just wanted to ask exactly what you are feeling if you don't mind? By the way, my manufacture date was 02/06 just inside the driver's door, what was yours?
Old 08-22-06, 05:32 AM
cv470
Rookie

I will check tonight my manufactured date the trucks drives as smooth as can can and as quiet the only problem is when you come to a stop! and the harder the stop the bigger the jolt it does feel like someone hit you from behind and the tach Rev up and then bac down aside from that have not notice anything else of course I only have 150 miles on mine I really dont want to drive it till they fix it the dealer offer to have someone pick it up and bring it back to me when the parts arrive I just hope that the jolt and the RPM rev are the same issue so gets resolved do you have the same problem?
Old 08-22-06, 08:30 AM
rho72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I bought my GX 3 weeks ago from Lexus of Nashville and was wondering if that is where you got yours fixed, if they were knowledgeable, and if they gave you any hassle from beginning to end? Are you glad you had it done?
Yes, I bought my 2006 GX in Dec. 05 from Lexus of Nashville (Brentwood) and had the repairs done there last week. I think they're relatively knowledgeable--when I initially called about the clunk, the service person knew exactly what I was talking about so I assume they've repaired at least a few of them. I really didn't notice the clunk until after I had driven 2-3,000 miles but it progressively increased in frequency (I have 10,000 miles now). I was annoyed that they didn't order the parts prior to my 10,000 mile service when I called 2 wks prior to my service, but it only took 2 days to get the parts and, by that time, I had found the TSIB for the mirror actuator issue and they repaired both issues at the same time. They gave me no hassles at all, even when I showed them the TSIB for the mirror issue. It's only been a week since the repair, but no clunk. I am glad I had it done. I think Lexus has incorporated the clunk fix into the 2006 GX but I'm not sure after which build date (you might check this website http://www.alldata.com/tsb/ to find out if they've updated the TSIB to include the build dates for the GX).
Old 08-22-06, 09:18 AM
cv470
Rookie

rHo72 Let me ask you when the truck clunk did RPM go up and down on the tach?
Old 08-22-06, 09:50 AM
rho72
Driver School Candidate

No, not that I noticed. How much of a difference are you talking about? When idling, my truck usually is around 7-800 RPM (after usually driving for about 10-15 minutes).
Old 08-22-06, 10:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I just called - It has now been five weeks. I was told "Nobody called you because the parts are still on backorder, and yes we did order the parts".

I'm not in a rush (I would like to wait until September anyway) but this is odd.

When did they order your parts? It is possible that they went through their first production and had to remake.
My parts were order the week before the 4th of July.
Old 08-22-06, 10:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cv470
I am not sure if the rpm jump and the cluck is the same problem. Most of the time people dont notice it becuase they are too busy looking in the back when this happens. I have notice it when it cluck, the rpm jump from 600 to maybe 850-900.
Now that I did the TSB and it doesnt cluck anymore, I dont look at the tach that much, so I cant said if the rpm jumps or not, but as long as it doesnt cluck, I dont really care.
Old 08-22-06, 10:20 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by rho72
I I also had issues with my driver and passenger side mirrors not going back to set positions after shifting out of reverse...
I have that as well... plan to include that in my list of fixes for the 5K service...
Old 08-22-06, 10:45 AM
cv470
Rookie

No, not that I noticed. How much of a difference are you talking about? When idling, my truck usually is around 7-800 RPM (after usually driving for about 10-15 minutes).
From maybe 1000rpms to 2000 and it comes back down almost at the same time as the cluck
Old 08-22-06, 11:35 AM
LexGX
Pole Position

I probaly have same symptom but i never issued it to my service man. I thought it was the way that i was stopping or something. Maybe i didn't break in the motor correctly? the first night that i bought my gx, i drove all the way to atl to see my grandparents...since they were sick. Now I have roughly around 25k miles on the gx. I guess i'll have to give my service man a call. And also, do you guys know how much a mirror replacment will cost?

lexgx
Old 08-22-06, 11:47 AM
cv470
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexGX
I probaly have same symptom but i never issued it to my service man. I thought it was the way that i was stopping or something. Maybe i didn't break in the motor correctly? the first night that i bought my gx, i drove all the way to atl to see my grandparents...since they were sick. Now I have roughly around 25k miles on the gx. I guess i'll have to give my service man a call. And also, do you guys know how much a mirror replacment will cost?

lexgx
I dont think it's normal I have not seen it on any of my other cars and that includes an 2002 Avalon and 2005 camry
Old 08-22-06, 04:49 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Salvator
I have that as well... plan to include that in my list of fixes for the 5K service...
Salvator - I know this is a little off topic - what year GX do you have? Do all GX's have side mirrors that lower when shifting into reverse? I couldn't get mine to do it.

By the way all - I have a 2005 w/ about 25k miles. It had a pretty pronounced clunk when I purchased it (used) and it's now with the dealer to repair (waited about 4 weeks for parts to get here). They've had it for 2.5 days in the shop now (is that normal?).
Old 08-22-06, 05:37 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by llcc1975

Do all GX's have side mirrors that lower when shifting into reverse? I couldn't get mine to do it.
Move the switch where you adjust the mirrors, to one side or the other. In the middle position, the mirrors will not tilt when shifting to reverse.

~ Cap
Old 08-22-06, 10:14 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Default Thanks and a few more questions please!

Yes, I bought my 2006 GX in Dec. 05 from Lexus of Nashville (Brentwood) and had the repairs done there last week. I think they're relatively knowledgeable--when I initially called about the clunk, the service person knew exactly what I was talking about so I assume they've repaired at least a few of them. I really didn't notice the clunk until after I had driven 2-3,000 miles but it progressively increased in frequency (I have 10,000 miles now). I was annoyed that they didn't order the parts prior to my 10,000 mile service when I called 2 wks prior to my service, but it only took 2 days to get the parts and, by that time, I had found the TSIB for the mirror actuator issue and they repaired both issues at the same time. They gave me no hassles at all, even when I showed them the TSIB for the mirror issue. It's only been a week since the repair, but no clunk. I am glad I had it done. I think Lexus has incorporated the clunk fix into the 2006 GX but I'm not sure after which build date (you might check this website http://www.alldata.com/tsb/ to find out if they've updated the TSIB to include the build dates for the GX).
Could you tell me what service advisor you dealt with? Also, when you went in for the repairs, did you require a loaner and how long did it take them to fix the problem? I live about an hour south of there and need to know how to plan. Also, what were your mirrors doing when you had them fixed? Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB