GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

is anyone using XM or Sirius portables...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 08:22 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is anyone using XM or Sirius portables...

I have followed the threads and also called a couple of lexus dealers...the dealers are of course clueless as expected on installing the XM or Sirius simply stating it is only available for LX but not GX.......i thought perhaps picking up one of the portable XM or Sirius at BestBuy may not be that bad.....no need to rip up anything...simply plug and play...yes it is not integrated into the audio system but some of the Sirius car players are fairly small and not a big deal to use.....i know you still have to run the antenna..one of them i think sirius S50 actually can be used as an ipod and stores 50 hours of music and you can take it out of the car....and use during jogging...etc so fairly versatile...

anyone used one of the portables....reception issues...?...experience..?
Old 01-21-06, 09:01 PM
robinzon
Driver

I would not use the portable. its a pain reaching over and changing stations and the FM modulator is another issue as the whole point of SATELLITE RADIO is to have better quality then FM and you are downgrading it again by using the modulator (which btw is prone to interference). Plus having a tuner sticking on your windshield (elsewhere you won't be able to see it) is not particularly pleasant.. and I have a nice reciever (Kenwood ) and still I will be installing the Lexus tuner... besides if you going to run the antenna, running a small harness from the Nav system to under the seat is another half hour... also be mindful that except for Kenwood tuners none have the suction cup mount (including S50) hence you are very limited on HOW you going to mount the unit (either by A. using the 3m tape provided which will ruin any finish or B. using a HARD mount which will require you ripping up a panel or two to install it).... so there are more PROS then CONS to getting a lexus tuner (pricewise too btw). Trust me I had two different tuners and acctually I did not run the antenna but had it inside the car (stuck magnetically to the front center speaker under the windshield) and reception is poor

Originally Posted by GGGXXX
I have followed the threads and also called a couple of lexus dealers...the dealers are of course clueless as expected on installing the XM or Sirius simply stating it is only available for LX but not GX.......i thought perhaps picking up one of the portable XM or Sirius at BestBuy may not be that bad.....no need to rip up anything...simply plug and play...yes it is not integrated into the audio system but some of the Sirius car players are fairly small and not a big deal to use.....i know you still have to run the antenna..one of them i think sirius S50 actually can be used as an ipod and stores 50 hours of music and you can take it out of the car....and use during jogging...etc so fairly versatile...

anyone used one of the portables....reception issues...?...experience..?
Old 01-21-06, 09:34 PM
zezspest
Driver School Candidate

Default Using XP Portable Receiver

I am using an XM portable receiver in my 04 GX and am happy with its performance and how its rigged up. It is sitting on the front lip of the open ashtray. To stabilize it and to prevent sliding I affixed Velcro on the bottom of the unit and on the lip. The power cord plugs into the receptacle close to where it’s mounted with the excess bundled up and placed in the recess of the ashtray.

I am using the cassette adaptor and have CD quality sound, much better than using the FM modulator which seemed to have lots of static. One minor thing is that you may hear the cassette player running if you play the radio softly.

The antenna is mounted on the rear of the roof above the door and under the spoiler where it is hardly noticed. The wire to is wedged into the door molding, then pushed in the corner where the carpet meets the plastic wall, passing both side doors, and then travels under the driver side floor mat and then up the side of the console back to the unit.

One problem I have is the channel buttons on the bottom of the receiver are hard to press, but with an optional remote control, it becomes a non-issue. Another minor thing is the display is hard to read because it’s sitting so low.

Overall, it’s not the neatest set-up with some of the wires exposed, but very adequate for my needs.
Old 01-22-06, 03:35 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

Prior to installing the LX version of the XM radio in my GX I used a portable. I clipped it to the air vent on the passenger side and used the remote to change it. It could have been clipped to the driver side and would have been easier for me to see but my wife likes to read the display. I used the RF to play through the radio and it works or doesn't work depending on what part of the country you are in and how busy the FM frequencies are. For road trips the tape player works better. Actually it was a clean installation. The little antenna (for sake of ease) I placed on the speaker grill in center of front windshield.

When the kits came out I did the install and did the step by step write up that is posted on this site.
Old 01-25-06, 02:35 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default S50

I have been using the Sirius S50 since thanksgiving. I actually have it installed in my acura.... However, when we take the GX on trips I make the switch.

Installation is fairly quick as noted above... Antenna mounted on the roof by the back door. Antenna cable hidden under floor mats and tucked into door molding.
S50 sitting in one of the cup holders, power coming from bottom lighter plug.

Agree... It is hard to see the display without being distracted, but the remote helps.

I too wanted to install the integrated system, but due to dealers lack of knowledge, extreme price ($750+) and the wife's reluctance to become anything more than a casual listener... It made more sense to go this route.

FM distortion is minimal, I will have to try the cassette adapter next time...
Old 01-25-06, 03:59 PM
robinzon
Driver

Stl2 well if you have installed the antenna that is already half the work done for integrating the reciever... if you are interested the Sirius install is fairly easy using an ES Sirius Kit (~ $215 for reciever + fit kit). its a do-it yourself project that you can do if you were able to route the antenna... there are several posts on the subject, but basically all you have to do is remove the NAV system (molding and 4 screws) connect the harness and route it under the seat, and you are done