GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire sensor compatability

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 08:03 AM
robinzon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire sensor compatability

If you already don't know, your 2006 vehicle is equipped with wireless tire pressure sensors and the low pressure is indicated on the front dash by an EXCLAMATION MARK within a tire symbol (in the fuel gauge). At any rate does anyone know if the Pressure Sensors are compatible with any other TIRE PRESSURE systems, ie SmarTire so that you can see the ACTUAL pressure/temp of the tire?

thanks
Old 01-18-06, 10:57 AM
kokohead
Driver School Candidate

Default OEM sensor

The short on this is no. Pacific the OEM for the GX pressure sensor has a proprietary system to identify only sensors made by them, at least for now. All new pressure sensors need to be initialized to the vehicle computer prior to installation. Further, the FCC ID# and IC# on the sensors must be recorded carefully or risk the chance of removing the tire from the rim and damaging the rim and sensor. The cost of a new sensor including initializing is $215, initializing alone is $89 @ the Lexus dealership.
Old 01-18-06, 12:21 PM
robinzon
Driver

Yes Pacific A & E is the company that apparently only Lexus uses as the German Manufacturers use BERU which I hear is much cheaper/better. And yes I do know the costs involved with the install, etc. but are you absolutely sure that they are not compatible with any other system? I was under the impression that they are suppose to standardize TPMS sensor frequencies, etc? can you point me to where you found out about the fact that they use proprietary system? sadly I can't even find their homepage and they are in Taiwan.

Originally Posted by kokohead
The short on this is no. Pacific the OEM for the GX pressure sensor has a proprietary system to identify only sensors made by them, at least for now. All new pressure sensors need to be initialized to the vehicle computer prior to installation. Further, the FCC ID# and IC# on the sensors must be recorded carefully or risk the chance of removing the tire from the rim and damaging the rim and sensor. The cost of a new sensor including initializing is $215, initializing alone is $89 @ the Lexus dealership.
Old 01-18-06, 06:11 PM
man8959
Driver

does the sensor easy to damage when remove the tire from the rim? what happen if i got a flat tire, do all the local tire stores know how to fix it with the sensor or only lexus dealer know how to fix it? thanks
Old 01-18-06, 07:03 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pressure Sensors

Originally Posted by man8959

does the sensor easy to damage when remove the tire from the rim? what happen if i got a flat tire, do all the local tire stores know how to fix it with the sensor or only lexus dealer know how to fix it? thanks

When I bought my 04 GX, I took it to a Chrome Shop (same place dealers use) and traded mine with OEM Wheels that they had chromed. I had them install the new Wheels and transfer the Tire Sensors. I've had no problems.

~ Cap
Old 01-18-06, 08:25 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Valve steam is part of the sensor. Shouldn't be any problem for any tire store to remove and install them on new rims. I didn't need them on my new wheel, Don't need sensor to tell me when to put air in tires.
Old 01-19-06, 12:49 AM
kokohead
Driver School Candidate

Default Damaged tire pressure sensor

This was damaged by a tire warehouse.
Attached Thumbnails Tire sensor compatability-tpms-002.jpg  

Last edited by kokohead; 01-19-06 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-19-06, 08:18 AM
robinzon
Driver

Yes of course if you just take the sensors from one wheel to another its not a problem... but back to the original question, is it possible to see the actual PRESSUIRE, TEMP from the sensors... on BERUs site for example they do show a little OEM display that they manufacture that can show the DATA from the wheels... I cant even find the PACIFIC site to see if they make a display for showing PRESSURE/TEMP... since if they did I would gladly retrofit it to the car.

this is what I am talking about http://www.beru.com/download/pressearchiv-l/dl.php?id=205_1e.jpg
Old 01-19-06, 10:48 AM
man8959
Driver

This was damaged by a tire warehouse.
can you put that picture up again?somehow i can't open it. thanks
Old 01-19-06, 02:10 PM
robinzon
Driver

Here you go

Originally Posted by man8959
can you put that picture up again?somehow i can't open it. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Tire sensor compatability-beru_205_1e.jpg  
Old 01-19-06, 06:03 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Default SmarTire

Tirerack sell a nice system, show tire PSI & temp

$259 sensor and display

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...artire_all.jsp
Old 01-19-06, 06:05 PM
robinzon
Driver

My friend this goes back to the original topic, indeed I do know of SMARTTIRE but its NOT compatible with Lexus's OEM Tire Pressure sensors... and mounting a second set of sensors on the wheels is just not an option....

Originally Posted by peterGX470
Tirerack sell a nice system, show tire PSI & temp

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...artire_all.jsp
Old 01-19-06, 06:09 PM
peterGX470
Driver

chances are anything factory is not going to work with other aftermarket item. You stuck with the blinking orange light or buy a complete new aftermarket system.
Old 01-19-06, 06:18 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Peter you have a pic of your ride with your 22" ?
Old 01-19-06, 08:15 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Originally Posted by angelslex
Peter you have a pic of your ride with your 22" ?
Check it out!
Angelslex, I ordered the Parado tail light, I will try to put it on tomorrow. Thank you for your advice on it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2195868/1

Quick Reply: Tire sensor compatability