GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Proxenon vs. Xenondepot (Yes, the debate continues....)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 10:04 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proxenon vs. Xenondepot (Yes, the debate continues....)

Ok, all, I know the issue has been discussed in the past, but it seems that not all is resolved. As some here may know, I have on order an '06 GX and intend to install HID lights pretty much the day it arrives.
I've been reading with great interest all the discussions/debate and have narrowed the HID decision down to proxenon and xenondepot.
While many here have been happy with XD, I find the use of a single relay to power BOTH headlights a bit off-putting. If it goes, one is pretty much left in the dark. Plus, its just one more thing to break/worry about. On the plus side, it does seem to work, and its customer service is stated to be rather good.
Proxenon, on the other hand, seems to also offer a very high quality unit- I am no electrical engineer, but the unit depicted looks damned good- connectors look OEM, the ballasts, etc look OEM and, more importantly, there is NO relay, no battery connection and no other BS--a true plug and play unit. Some much older threads had some issues here, but one well regarded poster here, "Capirato", states he has used proxenon's product w/o problems for some time.
Also, proxenon apparently did not have 4300-4500K units, which many want. They apparently do now, per an email I just received from them.

So, it boils down to this:

What is the "best" unit and why? If people here had to buy again today what would they get and why?

Thanks to all in advance-

Jim
Old 01-15-06, 10:28 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jws3

I have had the XD kit in my GX for two years without a single problem. In fact I just took it out and checked it and after wiping down it looks brand new. I took it off in 6 minutes flat.

I say go with the company that has the best customer service. The quality of the two systems seem to be equal now. Two years ago XD was one of the very few companies that offered Phillips kits that were plug and play.
Old 01-15-06, 11:33 AM
batmobl
Rookie

Originally Posted by JWS3
Ok, all, I know the issue has been discussed in the past, but it seems that not all is resolved. As some here may know, I have on order an '06 GX and intend to install HID lights pretty much the day it arrives.
I've been reading with great interest all the discussions/debate and have narrowed the HID decision down to proxenon and xenondepot.
While many here have been happy with XD, I find the use of a single relay to power BOTH headlights a bit off-putting. If it goes, one is pretty much left in the dark. Plus, its just one more thing to break/worry about. On the plus side, it does seem to work, and its customer service is stated to be rather good.
Proxenon, on the other hand, seems to also offer a very high quality unit- I am no electrical engineer, but the unit depicted looks damned good- connectors look OEM, the ballasts, etc look OEM and, more importantly, there is NO relay, no battery connection and no other BS--a true plug and play unit. Some much older threads had some issues here, but one well regarded poster here, "Capirato", states he has used proxenon's product w/o problems for some time.
Also, proxenon apparently did not have 4300-4500K units, which many want. They apparently do now, per an email I just received from them.

So, it boils down to this:

What is the "best" unit and why? If people here had to buy again today what would they get and why?

Thanks to all in advance-

Jim
Jim, what is the cost for the proxenon kit?
Old 01-15-06, 12:02 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jws,

I can only tell you I've had no problems with Xenon Depot. My installation on my 05' GX was fairly easy to perform. Didn't know about Proxenon at all. Once the kit was installed, I never looked back, I kept the Halogen H11 bulb around as a precautionary measure BUT it seems to be unfounded as the XD kits has been hassle free for almost one year now..

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesistate to go with Xenon Depot as they've proven themselves to me.

-Alex
Old 01-15-06, 02:12 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

In my 2006, i checked the oem ballasts and they have Phillips written on them.....so I assume if XD is using Phillips that is a good thing as Toyota would only use very reliable parts....

sorry guys...I know I sound like a broken record as I have asked this before...but is the use of the XD 4300 relay a 'must have' or a 'nice to have'.......ie. can we simply plug the ballast in the oem harness...and not use the relay at all......this should make the installation even easier and avoid using the aftermarket relay....
Old 01-15-06, 02:12 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Good question- The 4500 kit is not yet on the site (more)

Originally Posted by batmobl
Jim, what is the cost for the proxenon kit?
However, the 6500 kit is $450, with lower K sets typically about $50 less. I'll call tomorrow or so, but my educated guess thus far is abouot $400, or $20 more than the XD kit. I like XD's reputation here, but the Proxenon kit looks, at least to my non engineer's eyes, more robust and with less potential for failure since there are two distinct sides to the kit and no relay(s).
Old 01-15-06, 03:38 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ProXenon

More robust and with less potential for failure since there are two distinct sides to the kit and no relay(s).
Jim.....

Here is the wiring:

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Proxenon vs. Xenondepot (Yes, the debate continues....)-prowires.jpg  
Old 01-15-06, 03:50 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default ProXenon

However, the 6500 kit is $450, with lower K sets typically about $50 less. I'll call tomorrow or so, but my educated guess thus far is abouot $400, or $20 more than the XD kit. I like XD's reputation here, but the Proxenon kit looks, at least to my non engineer's eyes, more robust and with less potential for failure since there are two distinct sides to the kit and no relay(s).
Here is the Driver's Side installation:

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Proxenon vs. Xenondepot (Yes, the debate continues....)-hid.jpg  
Old 01-15-06, 04:46 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Pics look good- What did you use to anchor the various parts? (more)

Originally Posted by Capirato
Here is the Driver's Side installation:

~ Cap

Looks like you fastened the ballast & igniters to various parts of the car, just like an OEM application. Did you use screws to fasten the pieces and is the smaller box with some blue on it more in the background the igniter? How/what did you fasten that with/to?

Also, do I assume correctly that power on each side is supplied directly from the factory headlight harness? If I recall, you had to perform some slight modifications. I checked proxenons new "test" site and see that for the GX an "adapter" is required. Makes me think that perhaps they have learned something in the interim.

Again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Just need for the dealer to hurry up and get the darned thing in already! I have a factory order for a Blizzard white with all options, including KDSS. Once test with KDSS and I was sold--big difference to me.

Jim
Old 01-15-06, 05:50 PM
man8959
Driver

question,
i have xd hid for about 6 months now, if in case one day the fuse burn out or something happen will both sides of the headlight stop working? in that case could i still use high beam to get home?
Old 01-15-06, 08:22 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by man8959

question,
i have xd hid for about 6 months now, if in case one day the fuse burn out or something happen will both sides of the headlight stop working? in that case could i still use high beam to get home?

Yes, with XD, both headlights will go out in case of a blown fuse.

I don't recommend driving with high beams on, all the time. I would use my fog lights to get home.

~ Cap
Old 01-15-06, 08:52 PM
Capirato
Racer

Looks like you fastened the ballast & igniters to various parts of the car, just like an OEM application. Did you use screws to fasten the pieces and is the smaller box with some blue on it more in the background the igniter? How/what did you fasten that with/to?

Jim

Jim.....

It's been a couple of years, so I have to go by memory. I'm sure we (son-in-law helped me) drilled small holes and used sheet metal screws to fasten the ballast and igniter.

We did the passenger side first, as all those who have installed HIDs will recall that there is an available platform to easily attach the ballast and igniter. However, the driver's side is a little trickier as there is a battery to contend with. After a little studying, I figured that we could install the ballast and igniter as per the picture above, then push the wires through to the other side through an existing grommet. I was so proud of myself. If I was to do it all over again, I would do the passenger side, the same way.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 01-15-06 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-15-06, 10:15 PM
robinzon
Driver

JWS, I don't think you understand... A. You DON'T NEED to use the relay harness that comes with XD kit, you can hook it up JUST like the Proxenon (simply don't connect the harness). B. You have X-ray eyes to see INSIDE the ballasts as to their robustness? actually PHILIPS/Sylvania components are the best on the market. I personally have a Chinese Xenon kit and it works... so I am not a poster boy for Xenon Depot since I think they are still obscenely expansive (even with Philips ballasts).

Capirato I WOULD NOT place ballasts IN front of the radiation since moisture does indeed get in there and I would hate to have a HIGH VOLTAGE component sit outside the engine compartment... but whatever works.
Old 01-15-06, 10:38 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by robinzon

Capirato I WOULD NOT place ballasts IN front of the radiation since moisture does indeed get in there and I would hate to have a HIGH VOLTAGE component sit outside the engine compartment... but whatever works.

Robinzon.....

There is a shroud that covers the area where we installed the ballast and igniter.

~ Cap
Old 01-15-06, 11:18 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do not over react

The HID kits from both companies will outlast your GX ownership. The chances of relay failure is extremiliy low and in fact after being on the MDX forums and GX forums for over 5 years total, there has never been a case that I know of where the relay failed.

this thread is going to cause widespread paranoia for no reason. Listen just enjoy your HID kits whether its XD or ProXenon. Stop worrying about things that could possibly go wrong and just drive your GX. Enough about the relays already!!!!!

If you dont want relays buy the system you like but who cares they all work!!! Both kits are very good. focus on customer service and reputation.

Quick Reply: Proxenon vs. Xenondepot (Yes, the debate continues....)