GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to... remove speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 12:29 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elex,

My curiosity is getting the better of me, why, do you need to remove the speed limiter?

"I did that already and I need to remove it"

doesn't seem to answer the question of why this is necessary?

-Alex
Old 01-15-06, 03:29 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robinzon
To BUNKA and others... while I do NOT condone driving above the speed limit or removing speed limiters (unless you live in Europe)... you should be a bit more knowledgeable about automobiles before posting useless crap... wind resistance has nothing to do with the speed attainable if its there at 65mph it will be there just as much at 100mph,

Robinzon, I'm confused, what do you think is the limiting max speed factor for a car on level ground, assuming you have NOT hit the RPM limit on the engine in the highest gear?

It is the drag!
Old 01-15-06, 08:39 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by loflin
Robinzon, I'm confused, what do you think is the limiting max speed factor for a car on level ground, assuming you have NOT hit the RPM limit on the engine in the highest gear?

It is the drag!
Mostly air resistance. Remember, the GX like all other SUV's is like a brick going through the air.
Old 01-15-06, 09:53 PM
Donger
Driver

Default Maybe its just the tires

Anyone notice the coincidence that the limiter is set at 112mph and the top sustainable speed for the 265/65SR17 tire on the truck is also 112mph?

All the posts about wind resistance are interesting, but it seems to me that a company that makes you push the "I Agree" button every time you start the vehicle is going to make sure you cannot exceed the sustainable speed ratings of the OE tires.

My opinion is this is a lawyer thing more than a horsepower or wind resistance issue. Just the same way you can buy a BMW E90 that is limited to 130mph (running H rated tires), but opt for the sports package with the V rated tires and you magically have a 149mph top speed. No changes to power or aerodynamics, just tires. Both of those top speeds just happen to be the maximum sustainable speed for the H and V rated tires respectively.

I guess the law suit might be a stronger force than wind resistance.
Old 01-15-06, 10:04 PM
robinzon
Driver

This is a pointless discussion..... drag... air resistance... much before that will become a factor you will probably simply loose control due to either lack of driving skills or tires coming apart (probably some time after 160-170mph)... the car will drive fine I am sure. I assure it handles fine at 100mph ... it seems there are people talking out of a wrong orifice..

Originally Posted by Donger
Anyone notice the coincidence that the limiter is set at 112mph and the top sustainable speed for the 265/65SR17 tire on the truck is also 112mph?

All the posts about wind resistance are interesting, but it seems to me that a company that makes you push the "I Agree" button every time you start the vehicle is going to make sure you cannot exceed the sustainable speed ratings of the OE tires.

My opinion is this is a lawyer thing more than a horsepower or wind resistance issue. Just the same way you can buy a BMW E90 that is limited to 130mph (running H rated tires), but opt for the sports package with the V rated tires and you magically have a 149mph top speed. No changes to power or aerodynamics, just tires. Both of those top speeds just happen to be the maximum sustainable speed for the H and V rated tires respectively.

I guess the law suit might be a stronger force than wind resistance.
Old 01-16-06, 11:31 AM
loflin
Pole Position

This is a pointless discussion..... drag... air resistance... much before that will become a factor you will probably simply loose control due to either lack of driving skills or tires coming apart (probably some time after 160-170mph)... the car will drive fine I am sure. I assure it handles fine at 100mph ... it seems there are people talking out of a wrong orifice..
Robinzon, nothing personal (from me), and I agree the GX is not a vehicle (regardless of the tires) to take for a 100+mph run.

Whether the discussions are pointless, is of course a point of view.

But, twice now you called other people on their lack of knowledge: "...before posting useless crap..." and "... people talking out of a wrong orifice..."

I just believe you should recognize all of us, INCLUDING YOU, have limits on our knowledge: "... wind resistance has nothing to do with the speed attainable if its there at 65mph it will be there just as much at 100mph...".

Is just completly WRONG.

So perhaps we can all tone done the extra rhetoric?
Old 01-16-06, 03:42 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Lightbulb To whom ever has a wind-tunnel at home .....

I have to somewhat agree with Robinzon. Well ... in his assesment, not in his display of people skills. It seems the interpretation of this discussion might be leaning to, "Because this four wheels and a big enough motor ... the SKY is the limit". I really doubt the Horsepower/Torque would produce the quota to push beyond the wind resistance at 130, even if you did remove the limiter. It might squeek over, but I for one, would rather do it in a more appropriate piece of hardware. We are talking about a truck .... well, it was the last time I looked.
Old 01-17-06, 07:54 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

OK I called my fren who works for LEXUS as a service manager at ken shaw here in toronto. He told me that the speed limiter is set by the company at a speed that they think is maximum speed the car will be safe at... the car can go higher... but at 112mph its the safest after that speed the car might become unstable and so on... The tires are only decided after they know whats the max speed the car can handle safely.
i even asked him so what about the cars with sport packages and better tires why r they allowed more speed? so he said coz then they r making the car more aerodynamic in some way.... either the rims are changed to alloys.. or body kits are installed... something is always installed (other then just tires) to make the car handle better then the regular model.... well this is what he said... not my opinion.. but hope it helps.
Old 01-18-06, 03:13 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default I think this thread has run its course

This thread has been closed.